F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Dye from blue jeans transferred to leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

My experience with light colored leather seats (beige etc) in my wife's current Q5 and a car I drove previously was that dyes from blue jeans got transferred to the leather over time. It is very difficult to remove even by pro detailers.

I am planning to get an F10 with brown leather seats. Darker than beige but lighter than my current E60's black dakota leather.

Would the same thing happen with this color? Any experiences?

Thanks

SY
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

You should be okey with brown interior. I currently have gray interior and I have the same experience. Not only jeans, even with black leather jackets. The only thing you can do is clean and condition your leather seats as often as you can.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

This is an issue on my wife's car which also has a beige interior. The best product I've found to remove it completely is the Zaino leather cleaner followed up by Zaino Leather in a Bottle - but it does take a little effort. Keep in mind that whatever color interior you have you're just as susceptible to color transfer - it may be less visible with a darker interior color, but it is still there. You still need to do some maintenance work on the seats.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by asyircali
Hello all,

My experience with light colored leather seats (beige etc) in my wife's current Q5 and a car I drove previously was that dyes from blue jeans got transferred to the leather over time. It is very difficult to remove even by pro detailers.

I am planning to get an F10 with brown leather seats. Darker than beige but lighter than my current E60's black dakota leather.

Would the same thing happen with this color? Any experiences?

Thanks

SY
Any leather upholstery with lighter colours (than the clothes you'll be wearing) will likely suffer from dye stains from darker fabric like jeans.
I had natural brown leather in my first E61 and the seats looked terrible after a few months...

I wear jeans almost every day so I chose black interior in my following cars. In my current F10 I chose sports seats with black leather/fabric and that is by far the best combo I've ever had. No dye stains from my jeans, not so cold in the winter and not so hot in the summer as all-leather seats. The car still have that nice subtle leather scent.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Dye transfer from dark color jeans or leather can be a real problem to remove from light color leather seats. The best solution is prevention but I've found that even good leather conditioners don't help. I think they actually make the leather more porous and instead of inhibiting transfer actually allow it to happen - especially if your jeans get wet (from rain not incontinence).
  1. So, if you can't avoid wearing dark clothes this first suggestion might help you out. It makes my seats stay cleaner longer and makes them easier to clean. After a good cleaning (use any of those products recommended here (Zymol, Leatherique, etc) and conditioning ... go buy one of those shoe shine "instant shine" sponges the "no-color" variety and give your seating surfaces a quick once over. The treatment will help repel moisture and dirt and help prevent dye transfer.
  2. My second suggestion is meant for warm climates only. Insist that anyone getting in your car ... do so in the nude
Just sayin
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

get some sheep skin seat covers...
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
get some sheep skin seat covers...
Baaaa!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 AM
mop
Members

I allways use Gliptone GT12 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.. It can keep 20 year old white seats in perfect shape and will remove the blue color!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Contributors

I noticed the dye transfer too from blue jeans, so I switched to black khakis which are more flattering on me anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Members

Thanks for all the responses guys... I think I will go with black again.

@mop, your white leather really looks great after all those years.. Congrats

SY

Quick Reply: Dye from blue jeans transferred to leather seats?