F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Delivery of my 520dA

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by Scandic24
I took my car and camera to the woods this evening...

Beautiful picture. I might use it as the dektop background on my laptop
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I took a test drive in a 520d yesterday. It had the standard automatic gearbox and exactly the same seats as you have but the car was white. I found the engine to be ok and not that much different to my E61 525d. Totally acceptable. The big difference compared to the E61 was the different feeling in the steering which I guess will take some time to get used to. I have been going back and forth all spring and summer between the choice of the 520dT or 525dT. Now that I finally decided on the 520dT I am pleased with the engine.

The standard automatic seems very economical and changes gears very rapidly when you start the car off. I think the sports mode is the best and closer to how I would change gears with a manual car. Do you know if the standard gearbox has a different program in the standard setting compared to the sports automatic?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by gorban
I took a test drive in a 520d yesterday. It had the standard automatic gearbox and exactly the same seats as you have but the car was white. I found the engine to be ok and not that much different to my E61 525d. Totally acceptable. The big difference compared to the E61 was the different feeling in the steering which I guess will take some time to get used to. I have been going back and forth all spring and summer between the choice of the 520dT or 525dT. Now that I finally decided on the 520dT I am pleased with the engine.

The standard automatic seems very economical and changes gears very rapidly when you start the car off. I think the sports mode is the best and closer to how I would change gears with a manual car. Do you know if the standard gearbox has a different program in the standard setting compared to the sports automatic?
That's interesting to read, because the difference between the E60 520d and LCI 525d was quite big IMHO. The simple reason was the extra torque and grunt the 3.0L 6 cyl had, that made it much more effortless driving. I owned the 520d (manual) for 80000km and the LCI 525dA for about 60000km. However, the 520d was still very capable and quick, almost as quick in fact, but it just did not have that effortless refinement, which in turn gave a very different driving experience IMHO.

So it sounds as though the new 520dA with its extra power and the extra torque has closed the gap between the two models. Or am I misinterpretting what you wrote?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx
So it sounds as though the new 520dA with its extra power and the extra torque has closed the gap between the two models. Or am I misinterpretting what you wrote?
I think it all depends on how you drive it and how critical you are. if you are flooring it the whole time, I think both are great but if you are cruising at speeds like 50-60, sudden acclerations does put a strain on the 20d engine. Find it a shame because bmw got it right with the engine on the 320d but somehow can't get it right on the 520d..
Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Senior Members

Not to my knowledge, no. The standard auto have no settings unless you get option Active Damper Control or Adaptive Drive, AFAIK.
On the other hand the price difference between standard auto and sports auto is only about ?300.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rsyed
I think it all depends on how you drive it and how critical you are. if you are flooring it the whole time, I think both are great but if you are cruising at speeds like 50-60, sudden acclerations does put a strain on the 20d engine. Find it a shame because bmw got it right with the engine on the 320d but somehow can't get it right on the 520d..
I can only say that coming from a petrol LCI 523iM the 520d is a real cracker!
I'm still in the break in period but I have tried sports mode and the 520d feels quicker and more powerful than my old inline 6.

Ofcourse, this is subjective. Everybody has his own preference.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Senior Members

Beautiful picture. I might use it as the dektop background on my laptop

I can get you an exact size if you like, just give me your screen resolution.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Contributors

I can only say that coming from a petrol LCI 523iM the 520d is a real cracker!
I'm still in the break in period but I have tried sports mode and the 520d feels quicker and more powerful than my old inline 6.

Ofcourse, this is subjective. Everybody has his own preference.
hey I totally agree with you - look at my sig, I even switched from a 535d to a 520d
I would have ordered a 520d f10 if the delivery was not half a lifetime
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Not to my knowledge, no. The standard auto have no settings unless you get option Active Damper Control or Adaptive Drive, AFAIK.
On the other hand the price difference between standard auto and sports auto is only about ?300.
You still have the transmission sport mode when you flip the gear leaver to the left.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 523i, Steptronic, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Brown Wood Trim, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Sun Protection Glass, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Ipod, Electric Seats w memory, tires Dunlop sp1 225/55 R16.

Congrats
Nice car & pics.

Quick Reply: Delivery of my 520dA