F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Delivery of 520D manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my 520D Thursday 12th August. Put a roof box on it and drove it 400 miles to a campsite near Paris.

Its almost a standard UK car in Imperial Blue, with Privacy glass, Sport Steering Wheel, and USB.

The engine is light years ahead of the 177ps in my E60. The car is much smoother, and more quiet than the E60. I would suggest the engine is as good as a 6 cylinder petrol.

There are a couple of down sides, the 225/55 pirelli tyres look dreadful.
This car does not have the hourly chime facility that the E60 had. Most people are probably happy with that, but I miss the feature.
There are no programmable buttons on the steering wheel, like in the E60.
I hate the keyless ignition. Where do you keep your keys during the journey? In the E60 I knew exactly where to find them.
I don't like the way the auto start/stop restarts the engine after sitting stationary for a few minutes.

Other than these minor gripes, after 1150 miles I'd say the car is awesome. Would recommend to anyone, perhaps with bigger wheel and the shadowline trim.Delivery of 520D manual-002.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-001.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-003.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-004.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-005.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-008.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-017.jpgDelivery of 520D manual-018.jpg
Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Congrats on the new arrival. I really like the colour combination. While I'm a shadowline fan I'm not sure if it's lost on darker colours. The chrome contrasts really well with the blue. Good luck with the car (and good look keeping those seats clean with your little dudes!)
Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Listen, aren't you a bit young to drive a car?
The car is beautiful, I agree with you on the wheels and shadow line. The interior looks also light years ahead
Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DeepGreen?
I hate the keyless ignition. Where do you keep your keys during the journey? In the E60 I knew exactly where to find them.
There's a slot between the cupholders!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Members

My Ride: Awaiting a Saphire Black 520d SE, Black High-Gloss Trim, Black Fusion Upholstery, Hi-Fi Stereo, DAB Radio, USB/Ipod Adaptor. ETA Nov 21st 2007

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
Not in the manual.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
Only with auto tranny....
Don't think there are a special key holder with manual gearbox.

Oh, and congrats to your new ride...it's fantastic, I know.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Good looking car and nice to see some more pics of Imperial Blue, as it is the colour I ordered for my F11 520d Touring.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats on you new car DeepGreen?

I love the pics with family and all Really warm photo pictures.

All you need is OEM 19" or 20" wheels and the car will look great.

The hourly chime facility can be found in the iDrive, but I'm not 100% sure.

"I hate the keyless ignition. Where do you keep your keys during the journey?"
- I keep the key in my pants/blazer pocket.

"I don't like the way the auto start/stop restarts the engine after sitting stationary for a few minutes."
- Luckily I don't have the feature in my car with the auto trans but saves fuel.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

DeepGreen, how do you find the car handles on 17" wheels and standard suspension? I have just ordered an F10 in a similar spec to yours but was undecided to go for a manual or sport auto as the sport auto gives some control of steering feel. I test drove a manual and a sport auto and on the test drive the manual felt better BUT it seems most people prefer the sport auto and the increased steering feel offered by the toggle switch next to the gear selector.. I ended up ordering the manual and spending the extra on some wood for the dash and the navigation package but am now wondering if I have done the right thing!!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
"I don't like the way the auto start/stop restarts the engine after sitting stationary for a few minutes."
- Luckily I don't have the feature in my car with the auto trans but saves fuel.
You can turn that feature off, right?
With a switch under/adjacent to the START button if I'm not mistaken.

Quick Reply: Delivery of 520D manual