F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Closing trunk lid with remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read in both the F10 Brochure and the Owners' Manual that you can close the trunk from the remote. Are any of you able to do this. If so, please let me know what procedure you are following.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Supposed to be part of the convenience pkg, at least here in the states. And I see you have that pkg. Does the manual not provide directions on how to open and close trunk with the remote?

Edit: Watched the video on the BMW website. It shows that you have to press a button inside the trunk for the power close function. Guess you can't do it from the remote... At least here in the US. Would not be surprised to find that like the ability to close all windows and the sunroof, it is available in Europe and other parts of the world. We can all thank the lawyers here in the US for that...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...0QtSaGaSpNnuM=
Old 04-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Members

Thanks for your reply.

Here is a copy of the line from the 5 Series Brochure:

Automatic operation of tailgate: the tailgate can be opened and closed
automatically via the radio remote control.

This is from the Owners Manual:

With Comfort Access:
? Press the button, arrow 1, on the inside of
the trunk lid.
The trunk lid closes automatically.
Pressing again stops the motion.
? Press the button, arrow 2.
The trunk lid closes automatically and the
vehicle is locked.
? Press the button on the exterior of the trunk
lid.
Pressing again stops the motion.
? Press and hold the button on the
remote control.

Releasing the button stops the motion.
The closing process is not interrupted when the
vehicle starts moving.
Danger of pinching
Make sure that the closing path of the
trunk lid is clear; otherwise, injuries may result

As indicated above, the Owner's Manual simply says to press and hold the button on the remote. Doesn't work for me.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Understood, but the manual has been known to have errors. I don't have an F10 so others will have to chime and help... Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Members

With the EU version F10 you can close the trunk lid by simply pressing and holding the trunk release button on the remote control.
When you press it there is a time delay of 1 or 2 seconds before the lid starts to move. If you relase the button the lid will stop moving at the position where you relased the button. You must hold the button down for the full transit of the lid.
I have read on other related topics that this functionality was removed USA version of the car.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Members

To close the trunk lid with the remote, follow these simple steps:
1. Place the remote on top of the open trunk lid.
2. Press down firmly.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I just tried to close the trunk with the remote (as the manual indicates) and it doesn't happen. When you press and hold the button, you can hear the latch make a noise but that's about it. Either there's a bug in the software or BMW decided this feature wasn't safe enough for us Yanks (just like the "all close" feature we don't have over here.)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
I just tried to close the trunk with the remote (as the manual indicates) and it doesn't happen. When you press and hold the button, you can hear the latch make a noise but that's about it. Either there's a bug in the software or BMW decided this feature wasn't safe enough for us Yanks (just like the "all close" feature we don't have over here.)

Thanks Rudy. My experience is consistent with yours.

I have sent an email to BMW NA requesting an explanation. I will post their response.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Members

For those that are interested......

I became impatient waiting for an email response from BMW NA, so I called today for an answer. The answer took considerable coaxing, but the person I spoke to finally indicated that this feature was not available on US cars "because the import spec they had to adhere to would not allow the feature of closing the trunk with the remote". I asked if "the spec" was set by BMW NA, or was a government regulation. The person I spoke to either could not or would not answer the question.

Bottom line: This feature is not available on US cars, I'm not sure why.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by enelrojo
For those that are interested......

I became impatient waiting for an email response from BMW NA, so I called today for an answer. The answer took considerable coaxing, but the person I spoke to finally indicated that this feature was not available on US cars "because the import spec they had to adhere to would not allow the feature of closing the trunk with the remote". I asked if "the spec" was set by BMW NA, or was a government regulation. The person I spoke to either could not or would not answer the question.

Bottom line: This feature is not available on US cars, I'm not sure why.
Not a government regulation. You can get many vehicles with power trunks/lift gates. Look at any GM SUV and it is an option (though not sure how many use the remote) . As Rudy points out, BMW has decided we won't get these abilities (trunk or window closing). I really think they look at what a lawsuit happy country we are and all it takes is one idiot who presses the button and hurts a child grabbing something out of the trunk while the driver is not looking... As I said initially, you can thank the plaintiff's lawyers... And before I get flamed, I am generalizing. I know there are many good, honest lawyers out there but one simply has to watch TV and see the advertisements for the ambulance chasers!

Quick Reply: Closing trunk lid with remote