F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Changes from March 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup guys, BMW is turning into a KIA with mini-facelift (or in BMW language: mini-LCI changes) every 6 months. With the september production we had the combox, but with March we have the following changes:
1) 530d and 535i with xdrive -> ok can live with this as it is a not a change but an addition to the model line-up
2) HUD in colour as we know from the new 6 serires -> hmmm, interesting but not fuming it.
3) 530d with 258hp (for x-drive only, RWD will have the 245hp engine) -> ok I am getting a bit mad since my car (that is only 3 weeks old) is going to lose out big time on value because of this change
4) extended blackpanel as we know it from the 7 series and GT - why the F(§$ could not implement this change when they introduced the full black panel for the GT -> FUMING

I love BMW, i love driving BMWs but I hate their model politics and their RFT policy!!! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

We are talking about a car that nearly costs as much as a small apartment; BMW - we are not in the computer industry where you need upgrades every 6 months!!!!!!!!!11
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Although I understand your frustration, the fact that these cars are so technologically advanced also makes these constant "tech upgrades" possible. Like anything that's high-tech, a consumer needs to "take the plunge" whenever they're ready to buy and not worry so much about what's around the corner.

As much as I'd love to have the improved HUD and the expanded black panel instrument cluster, I have to accept the fact that whatever I buy will be replaced by newer, improved models in short time.

I guess the bottom line is that if you accept the fact that this is how high-tech stuff is, you don't get as frustrated when it happens...
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

wonder what the 3 yr/full LCI f10 facelift will include...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Extended black panel - especially as an extra cost option - isn't exactly going to affect the driving experience !

Full colour HUD - not sure I can see much benefit from that, unless it can support night vision as well, and that might not be too good in your line of sight.

Enhanced integration with iPhone - able to present some apps on the iDrive screen...again, doesn't exactly enhance the driving experience.

Factor in one definite price rise and another possible one in March( in the UK there's a price rise in January of around 5%, 2.5% of which is tax, but the other 2.5% is BMW )

So we'll have had 4-6 months of motoring, avoided a 5% or greater price rise....seems we got the best deal.

As Rudy said, there's always something new around the corner....but something new doesn't necessarily make it better
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cerbera
As Rudy said, there's always something new around the corner....but something new doesn't necessarily make it better
Agreed, but even if it DOES make it better, you have to take the plunge sooner or later or you'll end up paralyzed waiting for the next big thing and never end up with anything...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

I'm sure in another thread there were complaints about the black panel being quite a distraction?

As for me my car cycle replacement will land right on the year 3 facelift so I'll put up with driving with the smaller black panel and look forward to the new model upgrades.

I'm 2 days into ownership and blown away. Great car all round
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

These changes shouldn't be that difficult to deal with for any disciple of Steve Jobs... and on this forum I'm certain there are many.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

No interest as a 520d owner... Still a MY '11.

BMW actually does always improve their cars as needed!

There's only a bit wider updates, for marketing purposes,
in March (for US MY) and September (for the real BMW and EU MY).

The actual LCI facelift is after 4 years after introduction.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

What black panel?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535D -08

Originally Posted by Ricracing
No interest as a 520d owner... Still a MY '11.

BMW actually does always improve their cars as needed!

There's only a bit wider updates, for marketing purposes,
in March (for US MY) and September (for the real BMW and EU MY).

The actual LCI facelift is after 4 years after introduction.

What year we are expecting to have full LCI facelift?
Would it be Autumn 2013 with MY change?

Regards
Heikki

Quick Reply: Changes from March 2011