F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Car and Driver Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by swajames
All true and all good points. That said, had C&D given the F10 the win, these are all points that one would have been happy to overlook. Also, you're perhaps not giving the long standing members here quite enough credit. There has been a lot of discussion in the five and a half years that I've been a member that BMW was starting to lose its edge and that the differentiation it prided itself on - trying to live up to its "ultimate driving machine" tagline - was starting to get lost in a race for the bottom in the quest for sales. Cars such as the X6, the 550 GT, the X3 and the 1 Series do relatively little to enhance BMW's reputation and the feedback from C&D, which is after all the magazine that's had the 3 Series in its 10 Best cars for 19 years running and which is routinely accused of having the most obvious pro-BMW bias, is simply the latest in a trend that suggests BMW is losing something that more buyers than you think hold dear. I don't doubt for a second that there are buyers who own a BMW due to the badge nor that these customers make up a significant proportion of sales, some manufacturers such as BMW and Porsche have always had a bigger enthusiast core in its customer base than most. It's these customers who feel the F10 lost something by being more of a smaller seven series, adding weight in the process, and personally I think it's interesting to note that it seems to be Audi which is starting to look like the brand that is focusing more on the driver than the passenger. I admit a bias as I am a current owner but Porsche's new Cayenne will tip the scales at up to 400lbs less than the previous model, whereas BMW is adding weight across the board. Both cars are equally impacted by the new EU pedestrian regulations. It's simply a question of focus. BMW is starting to look like it is dining out on past glories with the added mass in its current line up. BMW makes some wonderful cars, but it has taken its eye off the ball.

+ 100
Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

" I think it's interesting to note that it seems to be Audi which is starting to look like the brand that is focusing more on the driver than the passenger."

Funny, my wife and I were talking about this last week. :-)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
" I think it's interesting to note that it seems to be Audi which is starting to look like the brand that is focusing more on the driver than the passenger."

Funny, my wife and I were talking about this last week. :-)
Yes it does seem that Audi is trying to become the new BMW. Audis are doing really well in fun to drive/handling ratings of late. Hmmm. I won't buy a car with piggish, disconnected handling.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes it does seem that Audi is trying to become the new BMW. Audis are doing really well in fun to drive/handling ratings of late. Hmmm. I won't buy a car with piggish, disconnected handling.

Not only is Audi trying to copy BMW but over the last 10 years, they've been trying to out-pace them in price, too. It wasn't too long ago that Audi used to be the value leader among European luxury sedans, but not any longer. Nowdays a comparable Audi model is considerably more expensive than its rival from BMW or Mercedes. (For example, a fully loaded S4 is thousands more than a comparable 335i or a C350....and the RS4 is at least $10K+ more than a M3). In my opinion, I would say the only models in Audi's lineup that can go toe-to-toe with BMW in the sport dept. are the S4, RS4, S5, S6 and S8. The standard Audi models--the A4, A6, and A8, while very nice, just do not match their BMW counterparts in the performance dept. I will admit, though, Audi's are "In".....their showrooms are usually packed and they've leap-frogged BMW and Mercedes in the "Snob" dept.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Members

I drove the F10 550i and 535i recently and a 2010 A6 3.0T right after,,, compare to my 2007 530i.. I will say the steering feel is best with my 530i. I don't like the F10 feel at all ! This really made me feel sad :thumbsdown: I will pass the F10 and wait for next version.. For the Audi A6, it got a good powerful engine, but with a heavy weight bias to the front, it just a Lexus sedan.. Not a sport sedan at all !

btw,, I think lots of people stated already, the F10 back seat is NO improvement over the E60 at all.. BMW, it's time to wake up and build a better 5 series,,, otherwise you will lost your profit engine ! I think pass the 1st 6 months model crazy time, BMW will hit hard by competition.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
Everyone has their opinion on the E60 vs F10, and it seems the people who have purchased an F10 will say that it's better than the E60. And there are people who will say that the E60 is better in some ways... but for me personaly, I have no plans on buying an F10. I don't like the way it looks AT ALL. And looks are subjective. Just because something is newer doesn't make it automatically better. I personally think an STOCK E60 545 - 550 looks way better than a Stock F10 535, or 550. I saw a couple at the dealer yesterday and it did absolutely nothing for me. And for the guy that said that the better than the E60 in EVERYWAY, including looks.. well again, everyone has their opinion. BMW has seemingly gone down a road that some of the other car makers have gone... they are getting away from what they are known for.

I'm sure the car is great... but it looks huge compared to my E60, and I just think it's ugly. Can't see spending $60k plus on a car and then have to buy parts to put on it just to make it look decent. :-)

Just my .02

This is the same talk I've heard 6 years ago when I bought my 545i. Actually, it was a 100X worse.....I even received personal death threats from some deranged Roadfly members! Ah, the nostalgia! Don't worry guys, you'll eventually be assimilated...resistance is futile!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Petes550i
This is the same talk I've heard 6 years ago when I bought my 545i. Actually, it was a 100X worse.....I even received personal death threats from some deranged Roadfly members! Ah, the nostalgia! Don't worry guys, you'll eventually be assimilated...resistance is futile!
Ahh, the good ole days at Roadfly!!! That sad forum was the genesis of our current forum... I do remember the hate that many E39 owners had for the E60, it was remarkable. I will say that I think this debate (for the most part!) is different. Back then the E60 was a radical step forward in design while the F10 is not that at all. The exterior is less controversial while most of us seem to have issues with the weight gain and the driving feel of the car. I do agree that the exterior is unexciting but that is a matter of personal taste. Who knows, after some time with the M3 I am ordering to replace my 2008 550, perhaps I'll be ready for something more luxurious. That is the direction the F10 is headed. While the E60 is a sport luxury sedan, the F10 is definitely a luxury sport sedan. Nothing wrong with that, just not the direction I'm looking for right now...
Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Originally Posted by swajames
All true and all good points. That said, had C&D given the F10 the win, these are all points that one would have been happy to overlook. Also, you're perhaps not giving the long standing members here quite enough credit. There has been a lot of discussion in the five and a half years that I've been a member that BMW was starting to lose its edge and that the differentiation it prided itself on - trying to live up to its "ultimate driving machine" tagline - was starting to get lost in a race for the bottom in the quest for sales. Cars such as the X6, the 550 GT, the X3 and the 1 Series do relatively little to enhance BMW's reputation and the feedback from C&D, which is after all the magazine that's had the 3 Series in its 10 Best cars for 19 years running and which is routinely accused of having the most obvious pro-BMW bias, is simply the latest in a trend that suggests BMW is losing something that more buyers than you think hold dear. I don't doubt for a second that there are buyers who own a BMW due to the badge nor that these customers make up a significant proportion of sales, some manufacturers such as BMW and Porsche have always had a bigger enthusiast core in its customer base than most. It's these customers who feel the F10 lost something by being more of a smaller seven series, adding weight in the process, and personally I think it's interesting to note that it seems to be Audi which is starting to look like the brand that is focusing more on the driver than the passenger. I admit a bias as I am a current owner but Porsche's new Cayenne will tip the scales at up to 400lbs less than the previous model, whereas BMW is adding weight across the board. Both cars are equally impacted by the new EU pedestrian regulations. It's simply a question of focus. BMW is starting to look like it is dining out on past glories with the added mass in its current line up. BMW makes some wonderful cars, but it has taken its eye off the ball.
Couldn't have put it any better!

And for the other member who suggested that I shouldn't buy one then - I am not, even the F10 M5 I will avoid! Said this numerous times but I will be now waiting for the new 6 Series (particularly the M6) to "WOW" me again as BMW did with the E60 when I first saw it back in 2004!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Who knows? The 6 series might be no different from the F10 models! I saw couple of spy photos and it seems kind of similar to the rest of the BMW line. Take a look at these links:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/04/08/sp...spotted-again/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/06/01/sp...ss-camouflage/

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003312...---showing-its

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
Couldn't have put it any better!

And for the other member who suggested that I shouldn't buy one then - I am not, even the F10 M5 I will avoid! Said this numerous times but I will be now waiting for the new 6 Series (particularly the M6) to "WOW" me again as BMW did with the E60 when I first saw it back in 2004!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

If I wasn't turning in the 550i for end-of-lease, or so interested in the X5 5.0, I'd wait for the 6 Series GT. It looks better and hopefully is intended for the enthusiast market.

The Charlotte Ultimate Drive is one week away. I asked my SA to have the 550i, and X5 5.0 available to drive, hopefully one with active steering and one without. On a short X5 test drive, it seemed more fun to drive than the 550i. It was more connected and had the better exhaust note.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparison