F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

BMW 535 or INFINITI M or LEXUS GS

Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

So i am looking to buy a new car, and test drove 535 and 528 yesterday. 528 is impressive, but only adequate. 535 is what anyone would expect from a car at that price point. 4 cylinders in a 5 series is just wrong, in my personal opinion. Only thing i didnt like about it, is the car "thinks" for like 1.5-2 seconds before it starts to accelerate. When i hit the accelerator i expected it to "jump", but there was no "jump". I was explained by the sales guy, that "this is just how it is, all turbos are like that". I drive a 2005 525 now, and i think the new 5 series is a completely different vehicle.

I hear a lot good things about reliability of Infiniti and Lexus, and that both have more options and more luxurious interior than BMW.

I drive a lot, and most of my driving is on the highway. I put in at least 120 miles a day.

What is the best car for me? What do you think?

Current cars:
2005 BMW 525 (good size, sporty and elegant at the same time, transmission may give up anytime now)
2007 NISSAN Murano (great small SUV)
Previous:
2001 BMW 330 (quick, powerful, but way too small)
2005 NISSAN ALTIMA (very reliable, solid, stiff)
2004 CHRYSLER PACIFICA (disappointment)
others - too many to list
Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Personally, I love the 528, especially when you consider the incredible gas mileage. If you are the type of driver who gets in and hammers the accelerator, in time the car will learn to respond at the expense of gas mileage but it will still be outstanding.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

My take;

BMW - 528

This is an entry level into the 5 series segment, traditionally in BMW land entry level means minimal luxury options and standard packages although over the years the list has been improved but still lagging behind Lexus or Infiniti. Personally I don't like the way the F10 steering feels but lets be fair I haven't driven the new 550 Mtech yet so the jury is still out on that, but we are taking about comparing apples to apples so in that case Lexus is the clear leader.

F10 is a very heavy car and unless you will be happy with sub par performance then I wouldn't even consider a 528. With that said, I loved the e60, after driving the F10 which I think it has lost its edge due to a unknown influence of design strategies i must say that if you compare a 528 next to GS350 or infnitiM37, hands down 528 would fall short in many areas. So my choice here is GS350!

More info;

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Fcbhtw2zAz9g==
Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The F10 528 is serisously underpowered for its class. Replacing the I6 with a Turbo 4 was a BAD decision IMO.

The Infiniti M is a dressed up Altima. No exactly a bad thing since I used to own an Altima but I wouldn't spend that much more money for something that looks so similar.

The Lexus GS is nice with the right options and the reliability is definitely a plus - I just don't prefer the design when compared to the IS or LS.

If I had to choose between the 3 I'd pick the Lexus. I'd also take a good look at the Caddy CTS.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gvolkov
So i am looking to buy a new car, and test drove 535 and 528 yesterday. 528 is impressive, but only adequate. 535 is what anyone would expect from a car at that price point. 4 cylinders in a 5 series is just wrong, in my personal opinion. Only thing i didnt like about it, is the car "thinks" for like 1.5-2 seconds before it starts to accelerate. When i hit the accelerator i expected it to "jump", but there was no "jump". I was explained by the sales guy, that "this is just how it is, all turbos are like that". I drive a 2005 525 now, and i think the new 5 series is a completely different vehicle.

I hear a lot good things about reliability of Infiniti and Lexus, and that both have more options and more luxurious interior than BMW.

I drive a lot, and most of my driving is on the highway. I put in at least 120 miles a day.

What is the best car for me? What do you think?

Current cars:
2005 BMW 525 (good size, sporty and elegant at the same time, transmission may give up anytime now)
2007 NISSAN Murano (great small SUV)
Previous:
2001 BMW 330 (quick, powerful, but way too small)
2005 NISSAN ALTIMA (very reliable, solid, stiff)
2004 CHRYSLER PACIFICA (disappointment)
others - too many to list
Yea, sorry. None of the above. Get a pre-owned Audi S5 and call it a day. Amazing car, great price because its not brand-new. That, or get a used M3. If you dare put yourself behind the wheel of a Japanese car anything less than Godzilla (Nissan GTR), you will be disappointed.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pukka
The F10 528 is serisously underpowered for its class. Replacing the I6 with a Turbo 4 was a BAD decision IMO.

The Infiniti M is a dressed up Altima. No exactly a bad thing since I used to own an Altima but I wouldn't spend that much more money for something that looks so similar.

The Lexus GS is nice with the right options and the reliability is definitely a plus - I just don't prefer the design when compared to the IS or LS.

If I had to choose between the 3 I'd pick the Lexus. I'd also take a good look at the Caddy CTS.
In fairness - the Infiniti M is not a dressed up Altima... They have little in common other than a common parent. The Altima is built on a front wheel drive platform which is shared with the Maxima and the Murano. The M is built on a rear wheel drive platform shared with the 370Z.

The new GS is well worth a look - early reviews are extremely positive.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by swajames
The new GS is well worth a look - early reviews are extremely positive.
I guess so, but it has absolutely no owning attraction, looks like from the last century.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Contributors

I may get killed for making this suggestion BUT for bang for the buck + quality build + all the bells and whistles + a reliable highway roller I suggest : http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/

Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Members

I also suggest you to wait for the next gen GS350 if you don't have to buy a car right now.

The M37 is fun to drive but may not be as refined and comfortable as the other two, especially you do a lot of driving. It's definitely not a dressed up Altima. They really have little in common.

The Genesis is also a good choice if you don't have about brand name and want a quiet and comfortable ride.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I happened to sell my beloved '06 530 last night and am currently without a car...so today, I drove.
Here are my reactions from todays event:

Infinity

M37 Sport- Super nice interior, very classy and ergonomically correct, spacious, great placement for the short shifter, very comfortable, brakes are awesome.
On the flip side, non-refined power lead me to wind the engine time after time in manual mode as it delayed finding a gear after I had already shifted. That damn engine would not stop winding, to the point of annoyance. I placed it back in regular mode and it was better, but I couldn't recover from the manual experiment. Agressive cornering had some body roll, but I'm not planning on making a career @ Infineon so it was decent.
Price driven $53k ish

Audi

A6 w/ Sport- This was the winner of the day hands down...if it wasn't for the boring styling When facing the vehicle line-up from the front, I constantly confused the 4 with the 6 with the 8.
Driving the A6 was nice. It accelerated with ease, had decent stopping power, and cornered like, well, a BMW. Coming off the same agressive corner as the M37 it champed the turn and shot onto the freeway.
Inside, the interior is comfortable with no body slide on agressive turns. Nav is sweet, and everything is placed where it should be.
Price driven $54k ish

BMW

528i w/ sport- This car actually surprised me. It had the new turbo engine and I was sceptical, but it proved me wrong! I'm not saying it's a 550, but it's no Camry either.
It was very responsive with a nice gradual gain up to speed. Of course, under the identical cornering conditions, it was a champ, as expected. Braking was adequate, but I personally think BMW has let up a bit. I could be wrong as I'm sure one of the F10 fanatics is currently scouring for brake-distance stats The interior was comfortable and ergonimically correct as well.
Price driven $54k ish

The reason Audi wins todays drive is the fact that it was the exact price point of the 528. In reality, it should've been compared to the 535, but equally equipped the 535 was roughly $4-5k more.

I also drove the A4, 335i, and G37. The 335 wins that battle hands down! Handles like a go-kart, excellerates like no ones business, and is suprisingly comfortable (BTW I'm 6'1 225lbs). I drove the M sport version, and they're practically giving those away on lease right now.

I'm pretty loyal to BMW, but not to a fault. I'll do more homework then decide. I may have to pump up my bike tires in the meantime.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW 535 or INFINITI M or LEXUS GS