F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Bang & Olufsen High End system coming to the F10

Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Prejudices aside, the folks posting here haven't heard this specific system. To have such a strong opinion on it is asinine. Higher end, rather obviously in this context, refers mainly to the cost of entry.

It's perhaps a little disingenuous to not at least do the system the courtesy of listening to it before expressing an opinion on its performance and value for money. To do otherwise is the audiophile equivalent of bench racing - and we all know that's a sport practiced almost exclusively by those who have neither the means to indulge in it outside of their laptops, nor the intelligence to know that it is the pastime of fools...
I agree. My point was not to knock it but it was that adding a B&O system to the car would not increase the sound dramatically for ME atleast and the overly visible components don't look good to me... to get the best out of a car audio wise nowadays is very difficult, i just keep the stock and tinker with it to get somewhat "ok" sound and i do rest of my listening in my listening room.

I was not saying the system "sucks"... but merely suggestion B&O premium upgrade vs stock would not increase the sound quality that much? except for the placebo effect of having a label that says B&O??

I am probably a small percentage that wouldn't upgrade to premium audio in any car i bought unless the difference was noticeable for me. I thought upgraded stereo all the way from e39 to e60 were very BOOMY because of the subs which did not perform like traditional subs.

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Had a Dynaudio system in my C70. It was very good but had 3 major problems.

1. Morrissey sounded no different than in my wifes VW Polo

2. It made all the trim rattle

3. you looked a cock driving round with the roof off and the music 'pumping'
Convertibles not my thing... but i see your point. I have not heard the c70 nor the vw polo stereo. VW MKIV series golf/jetta had horrible stereos (Only ones i heard).
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good point about not having heard this particular system. But in my - and apparently most people's - experience, it is reasonable to judge a company's range of quality by their previous creations. When you've got a company, that has been building great-looking systems for many years and making them sound only mediocre, is it really reasonable to expect the sound the be great?

Then, who really reviews the sound systems in Aston Martins? I would venture a guess that most people either don't really care about their AM sound systems, or are so happy to be inside an AM, they'll say any sound system sounds awesome.

But, again, I'd definitely give this system a try, if I have a chance. Why not? I used to think Bose was crap until I heard it in Nissans... and well, I still think they're pretty crappy, standard-sounding systems. But that doesn't mean that I'll walk away from the F10 B&O system unimpressed. Who knows...
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

There's nothing like a discussion on audio to get the strong opinions flowing... Not saying anyone is wrong, I guess my only point is that we all ought to reserve judgment as we haven't heard the system yet.

The system isn't showing up on the configurator on BMW USA so we're not even sure what the likely cost will be - never mind if that cost represents decent value for money or not. That said, I suspect this will end up being the best sounding option available from the factory (and I do of course realize that "best" is an entirely subjective concept in the context of audio), the only real question is whether it delivers bang for the buck. That remains to be seen.

Some of the higher end car audio systems can be very good. The B&W system for example in the Jaguars is most excellent.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Sure, but, B&W to B&O is what BMW is to Kia

Sure seems fair enough though to reserve judgment till we hear it, so I won't say anything else. Except maybe that the standard systems in most BMWs are usually adequate enough to warrant saving money on the premium system. But then again, you were absolutely right when you said that this is a. very subjective and b. people do tend to get all bent out of shape talking about audio systems.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Sure, but, B&W to B&O is what BMW is to Kia
I suppose that you combine B&O with BMW and B&W with KIA.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by swajames
Might it not be best to reserve judgment until you've listened to it in action?
Wise words! But audio is a subjectic matter, after all. So many variables and beliefs.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
I suppose that you combine B&O with BMW and B&W with KIA.
Wait whaaaat??? LOL how'd you come with that?! hahaha Although, the new Jags do kinda look Korean hahaha

Seriously, I said that because Kia has now attractive design, but BMW is not just the looks. You know, butaforic vs. real? Just let's not start getting all insulted by someone not liking your precious little Bang & Olufsen systems, okay?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Just let's not start getting all insulted by someone not liking your precious little Bang & Olufsen systems, okay?
My "precious little Bang & Olufsen systems"
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
My "precious little Bang & Olufsen systems"
yeah, kind of got away from me there a little bit. Didn't mean to be such a prick, brother. Apologies.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Had a Dynaudio system in my C70. It was very good but had 3 major problems.

1. Morrissey sounded no different than in my wifes VW Polo

2. It made all the trim rattle

3. you looked a cock driving round with the roof off and the music 'pumping'
4. It's a Volvo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen High End system coming to the F10