F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Auxiliary heating with remote control

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auxiliary heating with remote control, what does it do ?

Does it heat both engine and interior using a timer when car is parked ?
It contorolled via iDrive and is it Webasto ?

Accessory is atleast mentioned here:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._catalogue.pdf

It's very difficult to find more information.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by TurboT
Auxiliary heating with remote control, what does it do ?

Does it heat both engine and interior using a timer when car is parked ?
It contorolled via iDrive and is it Webasto ?
It's webasto, with radio remote and also controllable from iDrive. Both direct switch-on and two timers exist in iDrive.

Usually original BMW webasto's heats only engine or interior. Not Both! It does not make sense in cold countries especially cause Webasto has enough power to heat both. I really hope this has been changed to F10/F11. Your BMW dealer should be able to answer to this question, but I remember that my Dealer didn't had a clue about webasto behaviour when I wanted to change mine to warm up both engine and interior.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vesil
It's webasto, with radio remote and also controllable from iDrive. Both direct switch-on and two timers exist in iDrive.

Usually original BMW webasto's heats only engine or interior. Not Both! It does not make sense in cold countries especially cause Webasto has enough power to heat both. I really hope this has been changed to F10/F11. Your BMW dealer should be able to answer to this question, but I remember that my Dealer didn't had a clue about webasto behaviour when I wanted to change mine to warm up both engine and interior.
That is very intresting indeed if factory fitted webasto in BMW is not able to warm both engine and interior at same time.

I also noticed that local dealer had an offer where the aftermarket Webasto with Timer unit (mini plastic box with display) and with Remote Control was same price than this factory fitted heater system. Aftermarket one can warm both engine and interior at same time.

The issue is that if same price with same exact functionality it would be possible to get the factory fitted one, you could use iDrive and no need to use the not so nicely fitted Timer plastic unit in dashboard.