F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Another new Photo from Caradvice.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still not sold on the shape of the lights - Head and Tail... they just seem so safe and generic compared to our E60's....
Guess we gotta wait till the "reveal" to get the full effect...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedmeister' post='1046494' date='Nov 4 2009, 02:40 AM
The profile actually looks... dare I say it... good It looks long and low like the new 7. Damn I am worried I'm going to like it.
Better start saving my milk money. Those bastards at BMW!
I think what most people here are missing for now, but what will prove a favourite design feature once we see the car in the flesh, is the return of the shark nose.

Just look at the profile pic below: besides the perfect proportions, the lower waistline (E60's waistline was way too high and it needed huge wheels to work), in the front we see that the nose of the car (the kidney grille) sits in front of everything else, even the bumper. Exactly like the E12, E24 etc. IMHO this is the first modern BMW having again the classic shark nose, or something pretty much resembling it.

And I suspect, as it usually happens with these things, that the first iteration of this new design feature will be the mildest one - I would expect the next models to have an even bigger shark nose. Maybe already the next 3 series?
Attached Thumbnails Another new Photo from Caradvice.com-shark_face.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Members

MMITEV said "...the kidney grille sits in front of everything else, even the bumper" and it shows " the return of the shark nose."

I don't see the kidney grills protruding out front of the bumper and I see no shark nose.

The new "pedestrian safe" European front end reminds me of this:

Another new Photo from Caradvice.com-freightliner1_sml.jpg
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

call it "the best shark nose possible under the european pedestrian safety regulations" if you want. I was implicitly including this - obviously we are not in the 70s any longer

and in the pic the lower edge of the grille is at one level with the number plate. all other parts of the bumper sit behind these two. just look at the lower edge of the bumper. we have a similar constellation of grille/number plate in the F01 and F07, but the way i see it, this is much more pronounced in the F10, as the other parts of the front are pulled behind.

maybe an example to make it clear. if you stand a step or so in front of the car and look down at the hood and the bumper, i think in the case of the F10 you will mostly see the upper part of the front (headlights and grille) and almost nothing of the lower grille - in that sense it will be a return to the old style.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now this woulda' been a shark nose!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

I certainly hope they are moving in that direction! maybe the M-pack..

and here are pics of the new 3-series - it looks entirely possible that it has such a shark nose underneath the camouflage :

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/erlkoenig-b...95_1004476.html
Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1046859' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:50 AM
call it "the best shark nose possible under the european pedestrian safety regulations" if you want. I was implicitly including this - obviously we are not in the 70s any longer

and in the pic the lower edge of the grille is at one level with the number plate. all other parts of the bumper sit behind these two. just look at the lower edge of the bumper. we have a similar constellation of grille/number plate in the F01 and F07, but the way i see it, this is much more pronounced in the F10, as the other parts of the front are pulled behind.

maybe an example to make it clear. if you stand a step or so in front of the car and look down at the hood and the bumper, i think in the case of the F10 you will mostly see the upper part of the front (headlights and grille) and almost nothing of the lower grille - in that sense it will be a return to the old style.
You really like that look? Every sport kit on German quality cars brings the lower bumper flat and level if not forward with the grill, not the opposite, this would be a disaster, take a look and an M3, M5 old and new, AUDI RS line.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

may be it is again time for something different than "every sport kit", to move the game on. who knows, we might suddenly find it cool again..

and, as quite a few people here have reminded us - everyone hated the E60 when it came out as well, so lets not judge design too quickly

and yes, I would certainly like it if it is designed properly and fits the car overall. I hope the F10 will be such a case. Anyways, its just my 2 cents, so will leave the thread for others to comment too
Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1046689
I certainly hope they are moving in that direction! maybe the M-pack..

and here are pics of the new 3-series - it looks entirely possible that it has such a shark nose underneath the camouflage :

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/erlkoenig-b...95_1004476.html
Damn the 3 series design didn't last very long They just did a MAJOR face lift and now they are scrapping it all together. My 6 year old e60 looks brand new... newer than an 07 3 series lmao Damn they could keep the e60 for another 3 years and it still wouldn't be played out. In fact, the new 7 just looks like a bigger e60
Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Although not a fan of this color one bit, I do like how this car is shaping up. The headlights are still the window to a car's soul and we still need to see them in their unmasked form to make the final judgement, but so far so good..