F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

About to pull the trigger and am thinking transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally had a chance to test drive a 550i last week and tricked my wife into test driving one this weekend. Now that the M sport is available and I know more about all the gadgets coming down the pike, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. My last question is really a simple one: do I finish teaching my wife how to drive a stick so she can drive the 6 speed herself in an emergency (a complaint she's had with my 545i for the last six years and the 540i before then) or do I give in and get the 8-speed auto, surrendering the last of my manhood?

My test drive was on the auto because, well, that's just how it works around here. I had some fun playing with the comfort, normal, and sports modes but I was always surprised by the shifts. I also found the paddles awkward, but that's to be expected given that I've never used them before. I assume I'd get used to all of this very quickly.

It's probably clear where I'm leaning, but I'm trying to be thoughtful here. Surely many of you have had to make this decision before. Any advice on how to think this problem through?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

While I drive a stick in my 911, I'd never buy a 5 series with a manual transmission. BMW fits a better auto transmission (the latest generation ZF) than it does a manual, and, for me at least, the car is simply not suited to a stick - it's too big and heavy. BMW has little to no competition in the segment as no comparable cars are available with a manual transmission but if I were in the market for an F10 right now I'd take the sport auto in a heartbeat. For this class of car, and most pertinently for a car of this size and weight, it's the best transmission and it delivers the best performance.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

i think there`s no manual transmision availible for 550i
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by protams
i think there`s no manual transmision availible for 550i
There is a manual for the 550i.

As to what you choose, depends on how you want to drive it. The auto will give you better mileage (8th gear is a ratio not found on the manual) and you will get used to the paddles for some fun, the manual is, well, a BMW manual.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

If you enjoy driving the manual, get it. Neither transmission is better than the other. It's what you prefer.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by isbell
So I finally had a chance to test drive a 550i last week and tricked my wife into test driving one this weekend. Now that the M sport is available and I know more about all the gadgets coming down the pike, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. My last question is really a simple one: do I finish teaching my wife how to drive a stick so she can drive the 6 speed herself in an emergency (a complaint she's had with my 545i for the last six years and the 540i before then) or do I give in and get the 8-speed auto, surrendering the last of my manhood?

My test drive was on the auto because, well, that's just how it works around here. I had some fun playing with the comfort, normal, and sports modes but I was always surprised by the shifts. I also found the paddles awkward, but that's to be expected given that I've never used them before. I assume I'd get used to all of this very quickly.

It's probably clear where I'm leaning, but I'm trying to be thoughtful here. Surely many of you have had to make this decision before. Any advice on how to think this problem through?
Hello good question. Like you I have had a manual in my 525D Sport for 3 years as I tried the auto and did not like the initial delay delay, changing gear too soon or too much and not being able to hold the car in gear when I wanted, If I want to redline in 3rd to 80 then I dont want the car deciding not to hold the gear, yes I know its a diesel but with the 6 cylinders they rev well enough.

However, if I go for an F10 I will go with the auto now, just to avoid the hassle in traffic and be able to cruise more comfortably. But I will miss the manual for the control it offers. Having said that it will retain value better with an Auto as most of the market place want an auto.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. In fact, I'm sure the new 8-speed SAT is superior (performance, speed, economy) to the manual, but I suspect I would get bored with an automatic. Unless of course I always drive in manual mode.

And yes, in my country the manual is not available on the 550i either (unlike in the US).
Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Members

It depends on your wife. Is she the type that would like to learn new things such as a stick?

I think you should get the car you like and then teach her. =) Tell her that any woman that can drive a stick is hot and anyone that can drive well earns your and OUR respect.

Get the manual. I don't have F10 550i but I love my E60 550i w/ manual.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

omg, you guys are right about manual for 550i in US and A.
it`s same sh....t that was with E60 M5
Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by attila316
It depends on your wife. Is she the type that would like to learn new things such as a stick?

I think you should get the car you like and then teach her. =) Tell her that any woman that can drive a stick is hot and anyone that can drive well earns your and OUR respect.

Get the manual. I don't have F10 550i but I love my E60 550i w/ manual.

Oooh, I like this line of thinking. DONE.

Next, I'll obsess over the color and after a week or so, I'll place an order.