F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

550i GT Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

All:

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 550i GT. Love the car. Dealer here in MI has 2 on the lot and they've been sitting for over a couple of months without much interest. Struck up a conversation with him and told him I would consider "getting them off his hands," if the price is right. My questions are:

1. Dealer said he could do 2% above invoice - does that sound reasonable in this situation?
2. Trading in my 2005 545i with 81K miles on it. Anyone have a ballpark idea of where I should go with the trade in price? Car is in immaculate condition...

Tx for your assistance!

S
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

have you referenced kbb for your car's value and edmunds for the 550 gt's price yet?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by subarashi
All:

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 550i GT. Love the car. Dealer here in MI has 2 on the lot and they've been sitting for over a couple of months without much interest. Struck up a conversation with him and told him I would consider "getting them off his hands," if the price is right. My questions are:

1. Dealer said he could do 2% above invoice - does that sound reasonable in this situation?
2. Trading in my 2005 545i with 81K miles on it. Anyone have a ballpark idea of where I should go with the trade in price? Car is in immaculate condition...

Tx for your assistance!

S
If the car has been sitting for months you can do a lot better than 2 percent above invoice. I'd try to get $500 over invoice. Do not mention the trade in until after you have agreed on a selling price for the GT. Then, if they pffer you a crappy trade in pirce, you could try to sell it privately. If you new car purchase and trade in are linked, the dealer will likely screw you on one to make it look like they are giving you a great deal on the other. Do not link the two or even mention a trade in until after you and the dealer have agreed on a selling price for the GT. I also prefer to negotiate via email with the dealer's sales manager. Works like a charm.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I completely agree. I did the same thing on my last 3 cars. Emails work. You come to an understanding on your terms at your home, not sitting in their dealership.

Make the offer and say, "Serious buyer, pre-approved, if you can go $500 over invoice, you just sold a car" They will eventually (if not same day) pull the trigger.

And don't trade in your car. Sell it off line in your area. You'll get a way better deal. Otherwise, they'll give you a deal on the GT and then make up for that by WAY low-balling you on the trade. Don't do a trade. It's the #1 mistake most people make.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
If the car has been sitting for months you can do a lot better than 2 percent above invoice. I'd try to get $500 over invoice. Do not mention the trade in until after you have agreed on a selling price for the GT. Then, if they pffer you a crappy trade in pirce, you could try to sell it privately. If you new car purchase and trade in are linked, the dealer will likely screw you on one to make it look like they are giving you a great deal on the other. Do not link the two or even mention a trade in until after you and the dealer have agreed on a selling price for the GT. I also prefer to negotiate via email with the dealer's sales manager. Works like a charm.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subarashi
All:

Tx for your assistance!

S
Why dont you PM member JeffNNJ whos our resident member dealer, you can find his contact info in the dealer section, perhaps he can suggest a better offer...
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Guys,

Great advice. Here are some thoughts:

1. I love the email with the sales guy - great idea. I met with the dude yesterday and he really was quite a slime bag - said that 2% was the best he could do, etc. So, when the manager gets back in next week - I'll start the email dialog up.
2. Insofar as the trade in is concerned, I will not accept any price below KBB or Edmunds. The car has 81K miles on it so I'm not expecting much but I'm aware of dealer tactics insofar as trying to screw me on one or the other.
3. How realistic is 500 above invoice....at 2% for a 60K car, I'm thinking like 1500-2000 or so (assuming invoice is at 90-95% MSRP)?

I'll pm Jef NNJ - any other comments are welcomed!

S
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Does anyone have reccomendations re selling their car without doing the trade in route? Have you used ebay motors, vehix or any of these other websites?