5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   535i 2012 - trouble ahead? Extended warranty? (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/535i-2012-trouble-ahead-extended-warranty-145059/)

jturvold 06-06-2016 05:28 AM

535i 2012 - trouble ahead? Extended warranty?

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and the owner of a 2012 535i I purchased new. I am at 48,000 miles and considering the extended mechanical warranty from BMW. I plan to have the car past 100K miles.

I haven't had any issues with the car (yet) but I hear horror stories from owners of similar cars and now consumer reports tagged this year/model with very poor reliability and to stay away from buying a used one.

What has this community's experience been with this model and year car? Should I expect some major mechanical issues to the tune of more than ~$3,200 through 100K miles?

Insight is appreciated!

rice_rocket88 06-06-2016 09:25 AM

That's certainly a trick question...

For example.. how many miles do you do in a year? If you are like my brother.. he can do 20-25, which means your warranty would only last 2 years. If you're like me with extra cars for kid duty, I'm probably at 10K a year now.

Do you know a good independent mechanic? Often times EVERY repair will be half the cost from a good independent. And.. you should make sure exactly what is covered under your extended warranty.. because as my brother also found out the hard way, at least 2 of the things that happened to him weren't "covered" ..... If you're an avid DIY like myself, I might not bother.. ie I now have 139K on my 2008 and everything I've replaced I would consider "normal" wear and tear, and have not spend close to that money. If you are not one to bother (or don't have the time or frugalness) then just buy it and make sure it does cover EVERYTHING.. and don't lose any sleep on it.

jturvold 06-06-2016 11:47 AM

Thank you Rice! I drive about 15K miles a year but you bring up a good point about finding a local independent. I know I will be needing brake service soon, most likely at 50,001 miles when my warranty is done. The dealer said it would be about $850. I'll call some independents to get an idea of the cost difference between the dealer and an independent. Other than good customer reviews, is there anything I should ask them specifically? Like if they use "BMW factory parts"?

Thanks!

rice_rocket88 06-06-2016 01:23 PM

Well the brake issue and parts to use is going to be another discussion.. but I do feel that Zimmerman rotors, and ceramic (like Akebono) pads are a better fit than OEM. $850 for a full brake job front and back plus parts and labor isn't all that bad.. The cost for my wife's CX-9 for fronts alone were almost that..

jturvold 06-06-2016 01:26 PM

The $850 was JUST for the rear brakes. I already had the front ones replaced 10K miles ago but they were covered under warranty thankfully. That would have been another $850 if not.

rice_rocket88 06-06-2016 01:28 PM

Ouch OK that sounds more like bmw pricing.. half that at an indy.. I did my own last month or so.. Cost me under $300 of parts.

Originally Posted by jturvold (Post 1579322)
The $850 was JUST for the rear brakes. I already had the front ones replaced 10K miles ago but they were covered under warranty thankfully. That would have been another $850 if not.