F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

535d Sedan...what's taking so long for it to get over here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Although I've always gone with the V8 gasoline (petrol) version, I don't understand why BMW NA hasn't brought the 535d to the US market yet. With gas prices rising over here [again] and with more Americans accepting (and purchasing) this new generation of diesel engines, I think it would be a great seller. 300 hp and 425 ft-lbs of torque but with 33 mpg? Pretty amazing, if you ask me! Sure beats the 12 mpg I get...

The following article from Autospies echoes this question:
http://www.autospies.com/news/BMW-s-...THE-U-S-62392/

Also, as the Autospies article links to, I'm willing to bet that Jonathan Spira (JSpira on the forums) feels the same way. He's had some extended stick-time behind the car in Europe. If you didn't click the link in the Autospies article, take a look at his article from The Diesel Driver:
http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2011/...ratislava-535/

Come on BMW, give us this car in the USA!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

does anyone have sales numbers for the US models 335d and x5d? wonder if that has something to do with bmw's reluctance to release the 535d
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
does anyone have sales numbers for the US models 335d and x5d? wonder if that has something to do with bmw's reluctance to release the 535d
Hmmm, I guess you haven't been reading The Diesel Driver's "Diesel Economics" series of articles.

I developed a methodology to compare diesel sales for all diesel autos in the U.S. against "comparable" petrol models and we found that the take rate for diesel was quite high.

The most recent Diesel Economics article was just published a few weeks ago and covers new car sales in 2010 - you can see it online here.

Incidentally BMW's diesel sales are doing quite nicely as you'll see in the article.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
I'm willing to bet that Jonathan Spira (JSpira on the forums) feels the same way. H
Ja, I do.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Members

Thanks for translating "gasoline" for us!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Contributors

Hey Jonathan,

why bother going to Bratislava if you could have targeted Vienna as your destination. We have the danube, we have the buildings (1010 vienna) and we have our castle on top of a hill too (leopoldsberg)

cheers
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

BMW ran a 3 series diesel commercial last night during NBC prime time (I think during The Apprentice). Just don't understand why they wouldn't bring the 5er over as well. Makes no sense!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Probably the same commercial for the 335d they ran during the Superbowl. A friend recently purchased 335d v M3. The torgue is unbelieveable, and makes for a fun daily driver.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AP Sales
Probably the same commercial for the 335d they ran during the Superbowl. A friend recently purchased 335d v M3. The torgue is unbelieveable, and makes for a fun daily driver.
I think it was the Super Bowl commercial that was run. So BMW spends a boat load of $$ on a Super Bowl commercial touting the benefits of the 3 series diesel, continues to run it during network prime time, yet won't let us buy the 5 series diesel? A car that already exists and is sold in other countries?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm somewhat torn on this one. The diesels are selling pretty well, and I like them a lot, but there is marketing support needed on every car - this was labelled as an "eco-credit" to make it look like a state/federal program but it's BMWNA marketing dollars to the tune of an initial $4500 per car though it's now dropped to $3500 per car. Still, BMW is subsidizing every diesel it sells in the US today.

It is probable that it is the eco-credit that's been driving sales - it lets you get a 335d or X5 xDrive35d at well below invoice. Take that away and sales would, in all likelihood, be less robust.

Why? The simple reality is that $4 gas just isn't expensive enough to drive buying habits. The other issues are that American's don't yet associate diesel with high end, and the most excellent turbo charged gasoline engines, with prodigious torque in their own right, make the 35d engines semi-redundant.

The window for BMW to sell these cars was back when the 545i ruled the roost - at that time, the twin turbo diesel offered an amazingly compelling alternative. Now, the 35i and 50i engines offer plenty of torque, are pretty efficient in their own right, rev higher and are quieter and smoother at idle than the twin turbo diesel.

I think the BMW diesel is a great engine - I nearly bought one - but BMW missed the boat by taking so long to make it available here. Right now, BMW will sell all they can build but that is, in large part, down to the "eco credit". Take the marketing support out of the mix and I don't think sales would be as robust. That's a shame, as it's a great engine - but it ought to have been available five years ago...

Quick Reply: 535d Sedan...what's taking so long for it to get over here?