F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

530d tested

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just driven a 530d with M-sport chassi and 8-speed sport automatic.

I just loved the engine and the gearbox, very smooth and responsive at the same time.
Manual control with the paddles worked nice with really quick gear changes. The only thing I didn't like was that the gearbox switched back into "auto" mode to quick...it would not let me sit in high revs (3-4000 rpms) and wait for the opportune moment..

The responsiveness of the gearbox (especially in Sport+) was very good. I don't think that I would use manual control at all in ordinary usage. I will definitely opt for the 8-speed sport automatic when ordering.

The chassi was good and the car was an absolute pleasure to drive. I have read a lot of reviews on the Internet about the car behaviouring like a boat etc. Not true! When provoking the car in Sport+ (wet surface) it handled very well with a nice oversteering. Doing the same thing in Sport mode...the DSC kicked in and blocked the movement. In both settings the control of the car was very good!

The engine..what a machine! :-) The torque was insane. I just wanted to break...trootle up...break..
The sound was also a pleasure...looking forward to test the petrol versions 528i and 535i.

The car I drove had heads up display (which I hadn't used before). It was actually really good! I will probably opt for that and the sat nav hopefully a nice combo.

The only thing I didn't really like was that the car felt smaller than the E60. I felt that I was closer to the front screen and seeing all the bumps on the engine hood strenghten that impression.

A nice little touch is the half-comfort access that comes as standard i.e. the car opens up automatically and you can have the key in your pocket while driving.

Anyhow can't wait for the M division!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi OscarT,

What tires and wheels did the have.

It's all about the tires and size of them.

"The only thing I didn't really like was that the car felt smaller than the E60."

What seats did the car have. Sport or Comfort?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

I tried the 530d two weeks ago at a country house for a test drive on it's official launch.
She was fully loaded, drove beautifully but i will wait for M Sport version.
Finally,you are not supposed to keep the revs between 3000-4000, as it is almost getting to red line. Push the gas above 2000 and let the engine torque put a smile on your face.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Hi OscarT,

What tires and wheels did the have.

It's all about the tires and size of them.

"The only thing I didn't really like was that the car felt smaller than the E60."

What seats did the car have. Sport or Comfort?
I actually forgot to check the wheels... I suspects that they where 18"

It was Comfort seats. I have Comfort in my current E60...but the overall seating position was better in the F10 530d. With some tweaking it would be real nice.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ali-cap
I tried the 530d two weeks ago at a country house for a test drive on it's official launch.
She was fully loaded, drove beautifully but i will wait for M Sport version.
Finally,you are not supposed to keep the revs between 3000-4000, as it is almost getting to red line. Push the gas above 2000 and let the engine torque put a smile on your face.
Maybe I was a little rough on her ;-) But nothing big. I just kept it their for a couple of seconds to check the behavior of the gearbox.
I still think I will roll with a petrol engine when it comes to that. Even tough the torque in the 530d was immense. It was beyond fun :-)