F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

5 Series sales numbers in November 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5-series kickin as A$$ !! Great to see such solid #'s. Had no idea that it was BMW's second best selling model by that big of a margin.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by tachyon
Great to see another excellent sales month for the new 5 series. More notable is the fact that the 5er outsold the E-Class here in the U.S. for the first time in 16 months (4,771 5 series not GTs versus 4,438 E-Class not coupes).

Other interesting new vehicles selling well in November include the Jaguar XJ, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera, and Infiinit M.
No suprise. The E60 has more polarizing love it or hate it styling (I love it). The F10 is definitely designed more for the mainstream.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Contributors

December is often the best sales month of the year and this was especially true for the E60 (Merry Christmas to ... us!). So if the F10 logs another great sales month, it may surpass 14,000 (or even 15,000) units in the quarter, only its 2nd full quarter of sales - something the E60 took 9 quarters of sales to achieve.

Yes, definitely more mainstream.

All these solid sales volumes are occurring even as the trade press continues to be critical of the new 5er. Motor Trend's Car-of-the-Year evaluation included the F10, but they quickly dismissed it from the competition saying,"How depressing is this? ... Feels like a downsized 7 Series, and that isn't a compliment. The electronic gadgetry overwhelms any remaining steering and handling response. I get a vague, disconnected feeling from everything. Steering feels numb." Ouch.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

December is often the best sales month of the year and this was especially true for the E60 (Merry Christmas to ... us!). So if the F10 logs another great sales month, it may surpass 14,000 (or even 15,000) units in the quarter, only its 2nd full quarter of sales - something the E60 took 9 quarters of sales to achieve.

All these solid sales volumes are occurring even as the trade press continues to be critical of the new 5er. Motor Trend's Car-of-the-Year evaluation included the F10, but they quickly dismissed it from the competition saying,"How depressing is this? ... Feels like a downsized 7 Series, and that isn't a compliment. The electronic gadgetry overwhelms any remaining steering and handling response. I get a vague, disconnected feeling from everything. Steering feels numb." Ouch.
Disappointing review but not surprising. There have been lots of complaints in the press that the F10 lacks steering feel. The comments about feeling less connected to the road are a direct result of the shocking weight gain from the E60 to the F10. I will probably get one when my E60's lease expires but at least from an enthusiast's perspective BMW is taking the 5 Series in the wrong direction. But with more roolm, more luxury and a less polarizing/more mainstream look, the F10 is going to sell like hotcakes because most 5 Series buyers and potential buyers are not enthusiasts.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

I'm just interested in what Swajames has to say. Let's just say there is something bad about these sales figures that we aren't aware of. Swajames will set us straight on this. Swajames where are you?

:+}
Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Disappointing review but not surprising. There have been lots of complaints in the press that the F10 lacks steering feel. The comments about feeling less connected to the road are a direct result of the shocking weight gain from the E60 to the F10. I will probably get one when my E60's lease expires but at least from an enthusiast's perspective BMW is taking the 5 Series in the wrong direction. But with more roolm, more luxury and a less polarizing/more mainstream look, the F10 is going to sell like hotcakes because most 5 Series buyers and potential buyers are not enthusiasts.

Steering feel has always been subjective. Yes, it's very important to enthusiasts but the mainstream doesn't really care all that much about it. As long as sales are good, BMW will keep going where they're going.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Steering feel has always been subjective. Yes, it's very important to enthusiasts but the mainstream doesn't really care all that much about it. As long as sales are good, BMW will keep going where they're going.
I agree. But I do think that BMW will address the steering feel complaint. Just saw a F10 with the M Sport package. Looked very good to me.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
I'm just interested in what Swajames has to say. Let's just say there is something bad about these sales figures that we aren't aware of. Swajames will set us straight on this. Swajames where are you?

:+}
I for one am always interested to hear what swajames has to say. I usually end up agreeing with him.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I for one am always interested to hear what swajames has to say. I usually end up agreeing with him.

I'm interested too, as Swajames knows his stuff and is quite a sharp writer. Since you always agree with him, chances are your next car wont be a BMW.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
I'm interested too, as Swajames knows his stuff and is quite a sharp writer. Since you always agree with him, chances are your next car wont be a BMW.
It probably will be but it could also be an Infiniti M56. Time and the lease deals available when my lease is up in March 2012.

I really wanted to upgrade to the F10 M5 but my wife and I are buying a 2 bedroom in Manhattan in February so spare cash is going to be way tight. Honda Accord, here I come.

Quick Reply: 5 Series sales numbers in November 2010