F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

2012 528i trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Hello all. I have been enjoying a 2012 528i while my beloved e60 is in the shop. tonight out of nowhere, the trunk would not open. I tried both the remote, the lever on the trunk itself and the release under the steering wheel. I've turned car off and on and still nothing. Thankfully it didn't happen earlier in the day when I had a trunk full of groceries.

I turn this loaner in on monday, but I'd like to get my stuff out before then. Any ideas or help?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Big Jim
Hello all. I have been enjoying a 2012 528i while my beloved e60 is in the shop. tonight out of nowhere, the trunk would not open. I tried both the remote, the lever on the trunk itself and the release under the steering wheel. I've turned car off and on and still nothing. Thankfully it didn't happen earlier in the day when I had a trunk full of groceries.

I turn this loaner in on monday, but I'd like to get my stuff out before then. Any ideas or help?

Thanks!
did you turn the key slot on the trunk by chance? if you turned it and pulled key out, it will disable trunk opening.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Originally Posted by turboawd
did you turn the key slot on the trunk by chance? if you turned it and pulled key out, it will disable trunk opening.
The loaner has one of those "keys" that isn't really a key...it just has to be near the car for it to work, so as far as I know there is no key slot in the trunk. I'll do some more digging in the morning.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Members

it has a actual key inside of the fob maybe it is disable like Turboawd said!!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Members

Hmmm, so it does. That's useful to know! The loaner didn't come with the manual, so I've just resorted to poking around. Anyway, for the life of me, I can't find ANY opening anywhere near the trunk that looks like it accepts that key. The key slot on the door handle was rather easy to find, but either I'm a complete idiot (possible) or maybe it's hidden behind my license plate.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll keep looking around. It has to be something simple or related to my f10 ignorance...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

ok, so curiousity got the better of me. it looks like the f10 5 series dont have a key slot on the trunk anymore.
i went to bmw's website and downloaded the manual.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

there is a trunk lock switch in the center armrest. did you mess with this by chance?
also, you have to hold the key fob button for 1 second to open trunk incase that wasnt obvious.
2012 528i trunk won't open-trunk.jpg
Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Members

That was the issue. I thought I posted the following earlier, but apparently I forgot to hit the 'add reply' button:

Well that was quick. I went out to the car immediately after my last post to poke around, and opened the storage compartment in the center console area. I had seen a switch in there earlier, but thought it was the child safety for the windows or locks. But lo and behold, the switch inside there clearly shows a graphic of the trunk opening, with a lock on one side and an un-lock on the other. And of course, somehow it was moved over to the lock side. I'll blame that on my daughter, because she was "exploring" while we were driving.

Anyway, thanks again for the help everyone...problem solved.