F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

A 'click' sound after I start up the car... Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I've noticed that whenever I go to start up my car in the morning (or whenever it's been parked for a few hours),
I can hear a slight level click movement coming from below the car right under my feet near the pedals.....

It only happens once---so I'm wondering what exactly goes on when the car is started... is some sort of lever or
valve opened/closed or....?

Can anyone else confirm this or is this just my car doing this......?

It's a 523i F10.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

The forum isn't what it used to be.... I remember it used to be very active... tons of posts/threads...

Now it seems empty.... what's happened...?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

I can't comment on your F10 but I don't get anything like that on my E60.On a previous car (non-BMW) I sometimes heard a "click" which was the pre-engaged starter solenoid.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tooltec
I can't comment on your F10 but I don't get anything like that on my E60.On a previous car (non-BMW) I sometimes heard a "click" which was the pre-engaged starter solenoid.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I didn't have that on my E60 before. The click happens once... and about a minute or so after the car has been started.....
Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by BigMike
The forum isn't what it used to be.... I remember it used to be very active... tons of posts/threads... Now it seems empty.... what's happened...?
The thing what happened is that there are new owner of this site
and a lot of action is now on the bimmerforums, what a shame.

But your sign pic has not changed even if you're a F10 driver now

But seriously, the E60's and now the F10 seems to have their click's.
I'm sure it's nothing...
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The thing what happened is that there are new owner of this site
and a lot of action is now on the bimmerforums, what a shame.

I'm sure it's nothing...
nothing to do with the new owner's of the forum ric, I would say it's more to due with limited number of f10 owners active on this site as compared to e60 owners here. Like anything else ric, this forum is what we as members make of it..

that being said,

Nice to see you posting here again BigMike, unfortunately I cannot comment on this as I do not own an f10...hoping you do find he answer to your question...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing

I'm sure it's nothing...
Yeah, I haven't changed my pic. I still like it! hahahahaha! I'll post up pics after I do the
"Kelleners Hamburg rims/KW V3 upgrade"

As the F10 is at the moment, nothing could be uglier!!!!

Yeah, I hope that noise is nothing. Probably so... It's just that I'm curious as to what's doing it....
How's Finland these days? It's 'only' 23 degrees Celsius here today -- can't imagine what it's like there! lol
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
nothing to do with the new owner's of the forum ric, I would say it's more to due with limited number of f10 owners active on this site as compared to e60 owners here. Like anything else ric, this forum is what we as members make of it..

that being said,

Nice to see you posting here again BigMike, unfortunately I cannot comment on this as I do not own an f10...hoping you do find he answer to your question...
Hi GENEaTALS, long time no see.

Yeah, I'm back on the forum off and on. Maybe I should go over to the E60 subforum and post there as it looks like the F10 subforum is.... very..... slow.......
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5

I have the same problem on my 2008 x5. mine feel like its coming from the gear but i think u have the same problem.
anyway I took it to the dealer (that was in summer) my SA said that my battery is weak and because everything in the car connected electronically uI get that clicking noise. they changed the battery under warranty. then I travelled and my car was off for a month. when i got back the clicking noise came again. I took the car again and the said its a normal sound with all X5 cars, WTF.
I still have the noise. its really annoying but am not taking any farther action. just waiting to have a big issue happens caused by whatever they couldnt figure out. if that happen they will have real problem not me.

update us with ur situation
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

I would say it's more to due with small variety of f10 entrepreneurs effective on this website as when in comparison to e60 entrepreneurs here. Like anything else ric, this message board is what we as associates create of it..

Quick Reply: A 'click' sound after I start up the car... Is this normal?