F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

"It would be a great Mercedes"

Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I'm a converted BMW enthusiast now after owning the E60. I've owned a 2006 gs430 and a 2007 e class. The handling from the stock sport suspension of the e60 is terrific right out of the box. I have to admit the the F10 is top notch in interior quality. I haven't seen such a well executed interior from BMW since the e39. The comfort and superb handling of the new f10 will out compete a numb feeling Lexus and uninspiring Mercedes.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Pete, Pete, Pete... You think I really give a crap if you let me post or not? The only reason I give a crap about you at all is because you make a lot of stink, buddy relax and don't namecall, e-toughguy why? whatcha gonna do? LMAO you are pathetic trying to get a rise out of anyone who says anything even remotely negative about your precious little F10. Funny thing is, I didn't even say anything bad about... well, other than that it is worse than my "rusty old E60". And even at that, that was MY opinion. You certainly won't change it, so why you pissing your pants? Breath deep, bro we're all pals here, aight, e-tough?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Oh, I just realized this is an F10 section and us lowly E60'ians are forbidden from posting here. Pardon me
You got it wrong, bro, this is a forum more for E60'ians pissing on the F10; haven't you been reading the different threads and many posts??1 One up for you, man
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by bm323
You got it wrong, bro, this is a forum more for E60'ians pissing on the F10; haven't you been reading the different threads and many posts??1 One up for you, man
I promised myself I wasn't going to post anything else in this thread. I think this whole argument is silly anyway. But just for the record, back when I joined, it was forums.e60.net

In all fairness, I also think BMW will definitely correct most of the flaws - if they are even "flaws", in the first place - over the 7-year model run of the F10. Maybe it is idealistic of me to hope, but I do expect Munich to make the F10 more edgy. Perhaps they will come out with a 535is or something like that - lighter, stiffer, tad quicker, etc etc. Maybe it will be the LCI revision that will usher in the new and improved handling.

One thing Pete was sure right about is that the E60 got bashed way more when it first came out. Honestly, I never had a love-hate relationship with it though - I've loved it ever since I first saw one. Can't deny the strong influx of enthusiasts to the E60 though - much like the E39 before it. I don't see the same with the F10 - not too many threads about "i just got my F10, coilovers going on tomorrow, rims are ready to go..." - most threads praising F10 are mainly about the quality of the interior, great ride and awesome power. And maybe that's right too - maybe, I should aim for an M3 as my next car and STFU about 5 series... either way, I've promised myself to quit posting into this thread LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by tachyon
I read the latest issue of Automobile Magazine (the one with the Camero vert on the cover) on a long plane ride home yesterday and they featured a one-page review of the F10 535i.

The review was typical of what we have read many times already: they liked nearly every aspect of the new 5 series including improved good looks; high-quality interior that is comfortable and user-friendly; sublime ride and handling that belies its size and weight; and a super-sweet engine.

But once again they conclude that the sum of the parts somehow does not add up. One editor stated that he "really likes this car but doesn't want one." Too much 7 series and not enough 3 series. And they anchored with the Mercedes knock-out punch. Ouch.

Were the lads in Munich aiming to build a nice Mercedes? I hope not. Yes, the F10 is selling well and I expect sales to continue to be strong ... well, good for BMW. But as many have lamented here, what's a driving enthusiast to do?
Well Jeff, you know what I did.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lawguy
Well Jeff, you know what I did.
Hey Pete ... yes, and you sort of prove the point (MB cheater ).

Six years ago when I was looking into the E60 I never, ever considered cross-shopping the E-Class or Audi A6. But today if I were looking at buying in this segment again I would absolutely consider both of those brands. MB and Audi have made solid gains with their midsize sedans, and now that BMW has moved the 5er closer to those two targets, there isn't much that is compellingly different between them. The E60 offered a distinctly differentiated experience in style and performance from the other two. This is no longer the case.

Don't get me wrong ... I really do like the look of the new F10 and as I see more and more of them on the road they turn my head. And based on my one test drive of an F10 535i I thought it was excellent. And I'm sure BMW has a global winner in the F10 ... just not for me.

The F10 M5 may change all that for me though.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

I like the F10 overall design and new technology features, but it's flat front nose is unfortunate. I understand BMW incorporated this design to comply with new EU pedestrian safety laws, but in my opinion, it really prevents a sleek and aggressive look. For me, the F10 M Sport kit especially falls flat, if you'll excuse the pun Here's to hoping the F10's schnozz aesthetics improve with time.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by tachyon
Hey Pete ... yes, and you sort of prove the point (MB cheater ).

Six years ago when I was looking into the E60 I never, ever considered cross-shopping the E-Class or Audi A6. But today if I were looking at buying in this segment again I would absolutely consider both of those brands. MB and Audi have made solid gains with their midsize sedans, and now that BMW has moved the 5er closer to those two targets, there isn't much that is compellingly different between them. The E60 offered a distinctly differentiated experience in style and performance from the other two. This is no longer the case.

Don't get me wrong ... I really do like the look of the new F10 and as I see more and more of them on the road they turn my head. And based on my one test drive of an F10 535i I thought it was excellent. And I'm sure BMW has a global winner in the F10 ... just not for me.

The F10 M5 may change all that for me though.
I am starting to warm up to the F10. I saw a black 550i last weekend, with shadowline trim and sport wheels. I thought it looked pretty good (at least the front 2/3 of the car). Still stuggling with the rear end and the "Lexus like" exhaust pipes which are integrated into the bumper and dont extend out whatsoever. Ugh.

As for the competitors, I drove an Audi S5 before I bought the MB e63. Nice, but not in the same league as BMW and MB, in my book.

Hope the weather is good in Chi-Town.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Members

I have been rather unimpressed by the F10 ever since test driving a non-Sport version. I went to purchase an F10 and ended up leaving out with a deeply discounted brand new 2010 E60 Sport. I just didn't feel that, even with the sport version, it would give me the satisfaction that I was looking for after coming out of my 335i Sport.

I will say this, however. The F10 will still go down as a great Bimmer before it's all over and done with. There's alot to like about the car, particularly the interior and updated features. The E60 did nothing for my tastes until the kits came out, so I imagine I'll get the same warm and fuzzy when the F10 gets their factory kits. For now it just looks like an elongated 3 series...a body style that I loved as a 3, but not so much as a 5 or 7.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Not been on this forum for a while, used to be a pretty chilled place, oh how times change!!

I had an a 535d sport touring, it was a really nice all round car, but it always felt like a big car trying to be sporty, and it failed at that, it was mappped and pretty quick, it handled the twisties far better than you should expect a car of its size to, but it never felt like it should, and the compromise was it was never extremely comfy when racking the miles up either.

I sold it and bought an Audi S4 avant.

After 3 weeks realised that actually the E61 was actually bloody brilliant, it just wasn't an E34 anymore, it had grown along with the rest of the market, the new 3 series was the old 5 series and the 1 series was the old E30 3 series.

I sold the S4 after 5 weeks, horrible pieces of shite!!

Bought a 120d M-Sport and an E91 335i M-Sport. Best of both worlds.

We then had a second son and the E91 wasn't big enough, so I bought an A6 3.2fsi Quattro avant, nice enough and far better than the S4 as you didn't expect it to be anything than a big 4 wheel drive wagon, but was shocked at how harsh the ride was, even in SE guise, so sold that and bought an E320cdi, that has been brilliant, I love it.
Been looking at the new E350cdi sport estate and nearly decided to swap my W211 E class for one, however.......

Just swapped the old mans 730d sport for an F11 520d SE, and have to say that it is a wonderful car, so, so much better than the E60 imho, I wouldn't go back to an E60/1 now, but thinking about ditching the E Class idea and buying an F11, the gap between ride and handling on a Merc and BMW is closing in the 5 series and E Class, the 5 feels softer and the E sportier, but I think the handling of the new F11 is better, on a stretch of road I know well I can keep the speed up better in the F11 than I could in my E61, the back end doesn't feel as skittish and it holds on longer, not something I was expecting at all.

When the E34 became the E39 everyone moaned BMW had gone too soft, then when the E60 replaced the E39 it was uproar as the E39 ws the best all round car ever made, and now the F10 is here everyone is moaning it isn't an E60. Fuck me!! Is there a pattern emerging here??!

With every production cycle you move down a level, if you had an E34 and loved that you would be best to go and buy a 135i, if you started with an E39 you would be best with an E90, if your first BMW was the E60 then just get an F30 next year.

Cars get more like their bigger brother with each model, it isn't just BMW this happens with, it is the customer expecting more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "It would be a great Mercedes"