F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

"It would be a great Mercedes"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 5 Series is the absolute No1 in its segment as always. It blows off the weak alternative E-Class in terms of sales and in terms of everything in general. So stop talking non-sense. Customers in this segment want not only performance, but also COMFORT and LUXURY. And the 5 Series provides all of them in a style nothing else can do.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Petes550i
It's not just EVO's and STi's...you can include Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Challenger R/T, Charger R/Tor even a base Corvette to that list that can all run with- or out-run a BMW for much less $$$. But those aren't luxury cars. Those cars are all about engines....everything else is an after-thought. BMW is first and foremost a luxury carmaker. They cater to a different demographic than those who shop ricer cars like the EVO and STi's. Have you ever looked at the interior of these ricer cars?....they may have a lot of gadgets but they're cheap! The build material and ride quality reflect as such, too. But if those are your priorities, then more power to you.
People like you are helping make a Lexus out of BMW's.

ONE LAST TIME I'll try and explain this one to you: BMW is NOT a luxury car. It actually used to be that it was FIRST about performance. And now their priorities changed. Which is just a fact of life and we should all just deal with it. But me - and, as you may have noticed, a few others - are extremely upset that the 5er that we've all loved for decades effectively sold out.

Maybe to you, it is a great car. And in fact, it IS a great car. It looks pretty good, has great comfy interior, has enough go to shut up any amateur. On paper it looks great and in most situations on the streets, it is far above adequate. Just that when you're used to get 100 times more than average and now you get only 10% above average, there's some definite disappointment involved. I am one of those who is disappointed - and again, as you very well know, I'm far from the only one.

Originally Posted by V70Cat
It seems like BMW sold out made the car larger and softer.

It is now the ultimate car for the average consumer with money.

I just hope that they make the 3 a little bigger so I can replace me E61 with it. Do you think they import a estate version of the new 3?
The new 3 should be larger and about the size of E60 inside

I just hope they don't soften the 3, the same way they did the 5.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I agree. I believe that that is the consumer that BMW was targeting for the F10. And I think that BMW hit that target.
Lexus buyers, mostly...

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
The 5 Series is the absolute No1 in its segment as always. It blows off the weak alternative E-Class in terms of sales and in terms of everything in general. So stop talking non-sense. Customers in this segment want not only performance, but also COMFORT and LUXURY. And the 5 Series provides all of them in a style nothing else can do.
Yes, but BMW is changing its way - the enthusiast driver no longer prefers a 5er. Not to say that there are necessarily direct competitors - there never really were. And that's part of the problem - 5er used to be a compromise for the average buyer and a perfect fit for an enthusiast. Now it is opposite - compromise for an enthusiast and a perfect fit for an "average Pete"
Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Hey V, that's a great post.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by v_therussian
People like you are helping make a Lexus out of BMW's.

ONE LAST TIME I'll try and explain this one to you: BMW is NOT a luxury car. It actually used to be that it was FIRST about performance. And now their priorities changed. Which is just a fact of life and we should all just deal with it. But me - and, as you may have noticed, a few others - are extremely upset that the 5er that we've all loved for decades effectively sold out.

Maybe to you, it is a great car. And in fact, it IS a great car. It looks pretty good, has great comfy interior, has enough go to shut up any amateur. On paper it looks great and in most situations on the streets, it is far above adequate. Just that when you're used to get 100 times more than average and now you get only 10% above average, there's some definite disappointment involved. I am one of those who is disappointed - and again, as you very well know, I'm far from the only one.
Really?....what's "100 times more than average?".......Give me a frickin' break!.....ok, the E60 was and still is a very good car...heck, I even owned a 545i once, but don't make it out to be some sort of classic Ferrari. I see more E60's on a daily basis than a Camry or an Accord. It's nothing special.

If you're upset about the direction BMW is going, jump ship. Who the fuck cares?! Go whine and lament to your E60 brethren. It is what it is. Don't like it, then don't buy it. Simple.

If BMW cared mostly about catering to the enthusiasts, they would be out of business....that's a fact!
It's all about giving consumers what they want.....and that's what BMW is delivering right now.
Why do you think Porsche has expanded and brought out the Cayenne and Panamera?.....yeah, they pissed-off the traditionalists but at the same time, they've increased their consumer base 10-fold and made the company much, much more profitable. (The Cayenne is now their best-selling model).

In this tough economy, companies can no longer be just niche....they have to expand and try to be accessible to as much people as possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Yes, but BMW is changing its way - the enthusiast driver no longer prefers a 5er.
There is an interesting thread on BMW F10 demographics : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=521074
And surprise, there are many repeat BMW buyers (not former Lexus people ). Can we call them as BMW enthusiasts?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Really?....what's "100 times more than average?".......Give me a frickin' break!.....ok, the E60 was and still is a very good car...heck, I even owned a 545i once, but don't make it out to be some sort of classic Ferrari. I see more E60's on a daily basis than a Camry or an Accord. It's nothing special.

If you're upset about the direction BMW is going, jump ship. Who the fuck cares?! Go whine and lament to your E60 brethren. It is what it is. Don't like it, then don't buy it. Simple.

If BMW cared mostly about catering to the enthusiasts, they would be out of business....that's a fact!
It's all about giving consumers what they want.....and that's what BMW is delivering right now.
Why do you think Porsche has expanded and brought out the Cayenne and Panamera?.....yeah, they pissed-off the traditionalists but at the same time, they've increased their consumer base 10-fold and made the company much, much more profitable. (The Cayenne is now their best-selling model).

In this tough economy, companies can no longer be just niche....they have to expand and try to be accessible to as much people as possible.
Yo! "Angry Peter", read the response below:

Originally Posted by geobmw
There is an interesting thread on BMW F10 demographics : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=521074
And surprise, there are many repeat BMW buyers (not former Lexus people ). Can we call them as BMW enthusiasts?
Pete, don't feel bad just because you realize that you've been duped. Admit your buttocks hurt from getting that F10 and get on with it...

...well, maybe I should explain it in more detail. Your opinion is that of a target BMW buyer. How awesome is that? Very! You know why? Because BMW spent lots, and lots, and lots of money on making up the minds of buyers such as yourself. And it is great that it worked. On you. Some of us see the bullsh!t in this cake (pardon me) and we don't like it. To us, the E60 was maybe the last bastion of engineering the way we are used to it... you know, done by engineers, and sh!t you are obviously "on to the next one", so enjoy your ride! Besides, it is a great ride by all means... just a little too "Lexus" for some of us, that's all Have a good one, buddy!

Oh, I just realized this is an F10 section and us lowly E60'ians are forbidden from posting here. Pardon me
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Yo! "Angry Peter", read the response below:

Pete, don't feel bad just because you realize that you've been duped. Admit your buttocks hurt from getting that F10 and get on with it...

...well, maybe I should explain it in more detail. Your opinion is that of a target BMW buyer. How awesome is that? Very! You know why? Because BMW spent lots, and lots, and lots of money on making up the minds of buyers such as yourself. And it is great that it worked. On you. Some of us see the bullsh!t in this cake (pardon me) and we don't like it. To us, the E60 was maybe the last bastion of engineering the way we are used to it... you know, done by engineers, and sh!t you are obviously "on to the next one", so enjoy your ride! Besides, it is a great ride by all means... just a little too "Lexus" for some of us, that's all Have a good one, buddy!

Oh, I just realized this is an F10 section and us lowly E60'ians are forbidden from posting here. Pardon me
Really? I've been duped?!....You really know me so well huh, ruskie?

While I'm enjoying my new car, you're sitting in your rusty old E60 whining about the good ol' days. Let me play a little violin for you....

Go ahead and post. It actually humors me to see some of you "haters" whine and be tormented by the F10. It makes my day!
You guys put on quite a show for us "boring" F10 guys.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I'm sorry, I just don't understand all the negativity towards the F10. I like my E60, but it is not even close to being my favorite BMW of all time. That list has to start with the E30 M3, E39 M5, 635csi from the 80's, the 2002, the 850csi, the M1, then maybe the E60. There will be a lot of haters of the F10, just as there were for the E60 early on. I am not just an E60 enthusiast, I am a BMW enthusiast - have been for many years.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
New Members

i agree
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I'm sorry, I just don't understand all the negativity towards the F10. I like my E60, but it is not even close to being my favorite BMW of all time. That list has to start with the E30 M3, E39 M5, 635csi from the 80's, the 2002, the 850csi, the M1, then maybe the E60. There will be a lot of haters of the F10, just as there were for the E60 early on. I am not just an E60 enthusiast, I am a BMW enthusiast - have been for many years.

The E60 had a LOT more haters early on than the F10. I remember when I was on the Roadfly BMW forums 5 years ago, I was ridiculed and insulted mercilessly day-in and day-out by E30 and E34 owners for buying the "Bangle's Abomination." The media and automotive press also heavily criticized the E60 early on, especially for its polarizing design. Now those same hypocrits and haters are driving E60's themselves and calling it the best thing since sliced bread. Go figure .

Quick Reply: "It would be a great Mercedes"