E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

You may already know this...I didn't

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Now, before I begin, I have to tell you that I'm a bloke. Which means I don't read instructions. Which means I 'figured out' the i-drive through continued use.

So, we've now had our 5er for almost a year and I've only just found out that you don't need to keep pressing 'back' 'back' 'back' to go from, say, satnav to the radio.

If you're in satnav mode and want to change something in the entertainment options, then simply pull the knob backwards and hold it for a couple of seconds and it will switch from one to the other without having to go through all the menus. Likewise, to get back to satnav, push it to the right and hold it.

Can't believe I've only just found this out.

But it saves a shole lot of

So, I thought as I didn't know, it's possible other people didin't.

(Anyone else not know this and willing to admit it.)
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Cool! Didn't know this as well! I never read the manual re: the iDisk and just started driving it.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Well, I didn't know it either, as I too, prefer to figure it out myself, as that's usually the best way to learn - I'll will try it later, though it won't make me like it any more. I also think the zoom in/out is counter-intuitive on nav - with I-drive, twisting clockwise (which is the way I'd be tightening down a bolt or fastening the top on a bottle, for example) zooms out. Logic says it should zoom in when you twist clockwise and zoom out when you twist anti-clockwise. Totally silly.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='652077' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:46 PM
I also think the zoom in/out is counter-intuitive on nav - with I-drive, twisting clockwise (which is the way I'd be tightening down a bolt or fastening the top on a bottle, for example) zooms out. Logic says it should zoom in when you twist clockwise and zoom out when you twist anti-clockwise. Totally silly.
... I thought there was something wrong with my lologic - glad to hear more people than I struggle with this! I wonder what the new iDrive system does...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kell' post='652056' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:30 AM
Now, before I begin, I have to tell you that I'm a bloke. Which means I don't read instructions. Which means I 'figured out' the i-drive through continued use.

So, we've now had our 5er for almost a year and I've only just found out that you don't need to keep pressing 'back' 'back' 'back' to go from, say, satnav to the radio.

If you're in satnav mode and want to change something in the entertainment options, then simply pull the knob backwards and hold it for a couple of seconds and it will switch from one to the other without having to go through all the menus. Likewise, to get back to satnav, push it to the right and hold it.

Can't believe I've only just found this out.

But it saves a shole lot of

So, I thought as I didn't know, it's possible other people didin't.

(Anyone else not know this and willing to admit it.)
I found out by reading it on this forum - before my car was delivered so I'm safe
Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Pleased it's not just me then.

And I agree with the zooming in/out doesn't make any sense to me, but then I wonder if it's more intuitive when you're on the other side of the car as it was designed with LHD cars in mind.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kell' post='652097' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:50 PM
but then I wonder if it's more intuitive when you're on the other side of the car as it was designed with LHD cars in mind.
Nope! :thumbsdown:
Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='652077' date='Aug 22 2008, 06:46 AM
Well, I didn't know it either, as I too, prefer to figure it out myself, as that's usually the best way to learn - I'll will try it later, though it won't make me like it any more. I also think the zoom in/out is counter-intuitive on nav - with I-drive, twisting clockwise (which is the way I'd be tightening down a bolt or fastening the top on a bottle, for example) zooms out. Logic says it should zoom in when you twist clockwise and zoom out when you twist anti-clockwise. Totally silly.
After 2 years of using iDrive, I still do that one wrong. It is defintely counter-intuitive to me as well.

PS: I learned about the menu shortcut from reading forums as well.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

this thread also has some nice little tricks...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45685

a bit lengthy, but some nifty things in there as well...
Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you guys know that pressing "backspace" on the keyboard returns you to the main forum view hehe

Quick Reply: You may already know this...I didn't