E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

X3 vs 5 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a new car in September 2007 in order to replace my Volvo V70.

Probably the only thing I'm sure of is that is going to be a BMW. Apart from that, having two small kids, I would need something a bit larger than the 3 series. So, the choice comes down to the X3 and the 5 Touring. Also, I'll be doing 95% town traffic and the rest highway. The motor would be the 3.0 litter diesel bi-turbo in the FL 535d and 3.0sd. Didn't consider the new X5.

Please note that I still have to test drive the X3...

Pros X3:

- Higher driving position
- No compromise on driving pleasure
- Roomy

Cons:

- Quality (?)
- Noise in highways (?)

Pros 5 Touring:

- More recent technology
- Confort Seats (humm..)
- More space
- Better quality (?)

Cons:

- Big !!!
- Don't like the design of the car

Anyone out there had or risk of having the same 'problem' ?

Happy new year, btw !!!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Hi,

we had the same discussion about the X3 and 5 Touring about 1.5 years ago (just 525d vs. X3 3.0).

Originally Posted by Dragonii' post='375026
Pros 5 Touring:
- More recent technology
- Confort Seats (humm..)
- More space
- Better quality (?)
Especially with the facelift (iDrive like X5, Sport Automatic, Active Cruise Control incl. Start/Stop, etc.)! In addition we have it with the M-Suspension (Sport Package) and it's much(!) more comfortable than the X3!
Originally Posted by Dragonii' post='375026' date='Jan 8 2007, 10:24 AM
Cons:
- Big !!!
- Don't like the design of the car
Well "Big"... ever drove it? A colleque of mine drives an A4 3.0 convertible and had a 2 day trip with a 525d. Afterwards he was enthused about how handy and easy to handle the car was compared to his A4! The size is only an issue on parking - but with PDC no real thing.

Well - the design..... there's nothing to say about this from my side. That's just a personal thing.

From my perspective: If somebody is not really on the "I want a sporty SUV (SAV) with 4 wheel drive to compete with other SUVs"-Trip there's nearly no real advantage (just high sitting) to the X3 compared with the 5 series. And if thinking about an SUV I would choose the X5.

regs
Volkmar
Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Hi,

I have a 535d and use my wife's X3 from time to time.

Observations :

Neither cars are efficient in town driving. With 95% town, I'd go for a petrol as they warm up quicker.

I find (I'm 6ft) the driving position in the X3 cramped and awkward. My legs ache after relatively short periods whereas in the 535d I regularly travel 400miles without problems.

The ride of the X3 is truly awful. Ours is an SE not even a sport but it is crashy and crude. The interior trim quality of the X3 is poor (for BMW), rear seat kids regularly damage the rear of the centre console with kicking scuffs - the 535d handles this abuse no problem.

IMO, the X3 is overpriced and under-engineered. I would recommend a petrol 3 series estate instead - with a roofbox if you need more boot space. The 4wd of the X3 is a bonus in our case, but I suspect not in yours with 95% town driving.

The advantages we see of the X3 over the 535d are - boot height (the dog is less cramped), narrow lanes - the X3 is pretty compact, the 4wd / clearance benefit (but we live down a 1/2 mile unmade road). But these benefits are only over the 535d, not a.n.other car.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='375143' date='Jan 8 2007, 09:54 AM
Hi,

I have a 535d and use my wife's X3 from time to time.

Observations :

Neither cars are efficient in town driving. With 95% town, I'd go for a petrol as they warm up quicker.

I find (I'm 6ft) the driving position in the X3 cramped and awkward. My legs ache after relatively short periods whereas in the 535d I regularly travel 400miles without problems.

The ride of the X3 is truly awful. Ours is an SE not even a sport but it is crashy and crude. The interior trim quality of the X3 is poor (for BMW), rear seat kids regularly damage the rear of the centre console with kicking scuffs - the 535d handles this abuse no problem.

IMO, the X3 is overpriced and under-engineered. I would recommend a petrol 3 series estate instead - with a roofbox if you need more boot space. The 4wd of the X3 is a bonus in our case, but I suspect not in yours with 95% town driving.

The advantages we see of the X3 over the 535d are - boot height (the dog is less cramped), narrow lanes - the X3 is pretty compact, the 4wd / clearance benefit (but we live down a 1/2 mile unmade road). But these benefits are only over the 535d, not a.n.other car.

Yes, I agree that a petrol model would be more rational. However, I never said that I was going to make a rational choice
This engine seems wonderfull on paper and I still have to test it on real life...

Concerning the ride on the X3, as I said, still have to test it but do your wife have the facelifted model which is supposed to have softer suspensions ? I used to have a E46 with Sport suspension and I didn't find it unconfortable. Guess that I just have to try it out.

Also, not familiar with feet or foot, what's approximately your height in cm ? I'm 180 cm myself...

Thanks for yout input...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

I'm 180cm. The problem I have is that I find that the seat does not drop down low enough for me to feel comfortable.

Her X3 is one of the last pre-facelift SE models. The suspension problem is particularly bad over road bumps - like the ones you get in towns, it is particularly bad in the back seats - enough to wake our baby ! . Try finding some on your test drive (bumps not babies !).
The suspension feeling is not firm like an E46 'M' or E61 'M Sport', but just plain uncomfortable. To be fair, I have not driven a facelift version though.

The most annoying thing about the car though is that the rear door goes up a bit too high for my wife to reach comfortably (she is only 150cm though) and needs a huge push to close properly (the 535d has 'soft close') - but that is probably just a problem with our car (and my short wife).

I'd be interested to hear what you think after a test drive.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Having driven the X3 as a loaner, I would not put it in the same league as the E61 as a drivers car.

If you really need 4WD get the X3, everything else points to the 5er.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

All UK road tests slated the X3 when it came out. It has been improved slightly since - but still in my view unacceptable ride and unacceptable looks. If you don't like the 5 touring, a second hand X5 much better option
Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Coincidentally I have ended up, unexpectedly, with an X3 tonight as my 5 series Touring is back at the garage yet again due to a screwup at the dealer (third trip to fit some parts and still not fitted).
However jumping from the 5 into the X3 the ride was appaling - coming out of a carpark on rough round, which the 5 does without problems, the X3 was so rock hard I couldn't go more than 10mph - and still I got thrown around so much that I slipped off the clutch and stalled it !
Hate to think what this would feel like cross country !
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Just to add you can now order comfort seats in an X3
Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Members

I had the same question. Found that the X3 was quite tight in the front and rear and not as nice a ride as the 535dT

I'm stunned how small the 535 feels to drive. I'm moving from an M3 to a 535d and I'm was dreading it. After a test drive I was pleasantly surprised. The 535d feels light most of the time (occasionally can roll a little) but considering its 2tons of car its impressive. Really dreading letting the M3 go though

Cheers,
Neil.

Quick Reply: X3 vs 5 Touring