E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Would you add spacers to this winter rim combo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I'll be buying my dad's old set of winter tires and rims that came off his 09 BMW 535 XI, which according to Tire Rack, shouldn't be a problem fitting on my car.

Standard M package wheels I have are the 8x18's with ET43. These wheels are 17x7.5's, with an ET of 45. According to the wheel calculator, I'll end up with 4mm MORE clearance on the strut side, and the outside edge of the wheel will RETRACT 8mm.

So should I get 10 mm spacers all around or maybe 15's? Which I guess will require me to buy 20 new lugbolts too...

Or just leave it for the 5 months or so they'll be on the car as it's not worth the $250 or so I'll end up spending (unless I find them used I guess...)

Here are the wheels: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...XL&qty_front=4
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

last time i tried spacers i could feel the difference in the wheel vibration - and they were supposed to be nice H&R "Go wide" spacers and bolts. Never again for me. maybe i am just super sensitive
Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Senior Members

Do you think having them in the front might have caused issues? Would back only be any better in terms of reduced chances of vibration (in case the rears look worse than the fronts, and I just decide to do those).

I'm lucky I guess in that on my 335, I bought 12 mm spacers for the winters, and then decided to keep them on for the regular summer wheels also, without any issues, and come to think of it, I tracked the car too this summer.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

I am using 5/15 mm F/R spacers from Eibach (same as H&R) with my summer and winter wheels with no problems.
And yes, they improve the look of any wheels, even smallish 17's.
Regarding the numbers you have to do your own xi-maths though.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Cool, a few questions.

1 - Are you using the same wheels all around, or a staggered setup? Looks from your mods list you run same 4 wheels (18" 152's in winter, 19"s in summer)?

2 - What's the ET on them, compared to stock? I am wondering where your wheels were for example, before you decided to add 15mm spacers to the rears. If my numbers are correct, during the winter, my wheels would stick out an extra 7 mm's, but if I keep them on the stock wheels for the summer, they'd stick out the full 15mm's, right? Would that be too much? I doubt rubbing would be an issue, so I'm thinking mainly how it would look. (therefore, if too much, maybe I should just get 12's now)

3 - Any reason you are running smaller spacers in front vs. rear? Do the fronts not need to extend as much as the rears, as they aren't tucked in as much?

4 - I read on this website that if one gets the 5 mm spacers, they would "fit over the stock BMW hub lip. The factory lip remains with about 5-6mm left over for the wheel to rest on." But if you get 12's and higher, they "fit over the stock BMW hub lip and includes a new hub lip for your wheel to rest on", so it's a non issue.

Is that what you found happened with your fronts (5 mm's)? Is there something I should be concerned about if getting 5 mm's? I'm confused a bit...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-88...l-spacers.aspx
Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

you crazy kids!

Hey, I might try a set of 9"/10" for next summer
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Wanna sell your spacers to me then since it makes your car vibrate? Heh heh!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

see below in CAPS

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Cool, a few questions.

1 - Are you using the same wheels all around, or a staggered setup? Looks from your mods list you run same 4 wheels (18" 152's in winter, 19"s in summer)? SAME WHEELS, 18' SUMMER, 16' WINTER. THE 19' WILL COME ON THE CAR NEXT SUMMER AND AS THEY ARE FROM E63 THEY WONT NEED SPACERS (THEY BARELY FIT IN THE WHEEL WELLS).

2 - What's the ET on them, compared to stock? 18' WHEELS ARE STOCK WITH ET 20. I am wondering where your wheels were for example, before you decided to add 15mm spacers to the rears. STOCK LOOK - HORRIBLY TUCKED IN THE BACK, NOT THAT BAD UPFRONT. If my numbers are correct, during the winter, my wheels would stick out an extra 7 mm's, but if I keep them on the stock wheels for the summer, they'd stick out the full 15mm's, right? Would that be too much? ON RWD E61 20mm SPACER IN THE BACK IS STILL OK. UPFRONT I THINK 10 MM IS STILL OK. I doubt rubbing would be an issue, so I'm thinking mainly how it would look. SEE ABOVE. (therefore, if too much, maybe I should just get 12's now)

3 - Any reason you are running smaller spacers in front vs. rear? UPFRONT THERE IS LESS SPACE - 5/15MM IS RECOMMENDED BY LOTS OF PEOPLE AS VISIBLE BUT NOT OVERDONE TRACK WIDENING. Do the fronts not need to extend as much as the rears, as they aren't tucked in as much? YES.

4 - I read on this website that if one gets the 5 mm spacers, they would "fit over the stock BMW hub lip. The factory lip remains with about 5-6mm left over for the wheel to rest on." I'D SAY 2-3 MM LEFT. But if you get 12's and higher, they "fit over the stock BMW hub lip and includes a new hub lip for your wheel to rest on", so it's a non issue. CORRECT.

Is that what you found happened with your fronts (5 mm's)? YES. Is there something I should be concerned about if getting 5 mm's? I'm confused a bit... NO. YOU WILL NEED LONGER BOLTS FOR ALL FOUR WHEELS. BE CAREFUL WITH THE CALCULATION OF THE BOLT LENGTH.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-88...l-spacers.aspx
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the answers. I keep forgetting some E61's weren't AWD... Over here, they only came that way (and with one engine choice) in the last few years.

So if your ET is 20 vs. 43 on mine, will that have any impact on my choices? Or is it that the outer edge of your wheels and mine (in stock position) would be the same?

This 5/15 combo that lots of people do is on stock wheels with an ET of 20 or for XI wheels too? (your answer above I suppose might answer this too) If on XI wheels too, then for sure getting them now with my winters would mean I could use them for an aggressive look on my summers, while for the winter, they'd pretty much bring my wheels out to stock position more or less.

So having only a hub lip of 2-3 mm's is not a big deal / concern for anything? As long as the bolts are the right length, that's what counts? If it's no big deal, I am wondering why that website bothers mentioning it - they make it sound like it's some sort of disadvantage / something to watch out for...
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks for the answers. I keep forgetting some E61's weren't AWD... Over here, they only came that way (and with one engine choice) in the last few years.

So if your ET is 20 vs. 43 on mine, will that have any impact on my choices? Or is it that the outer edge of your wheels and mine (in stock position) would be the same? YES EXACTLY. YOUR XI AXLES STICK OUT MORE THAN RWD, THATS WHY XI ET HAS TO BE HIGHER, TO ACCOMODATE THEM. END RESULT FROM THE OUTSIDE IS ROUGHLY THE SAME.

This 5/15 combo that lots of people do is on stock wheels with an ET of 20 or for XI wheels too? NO. SEE ABOVE. (your answer above I suppose might answer this too) IT DOES. If on XI wheels too, then for sure getting them now with my winters would mean I could use them for an aggressive look on my summers, while for the winter, they'd pretty much bring my wheels out to stock position more or less.

So having only a hub lip of 2-3 mm's is not a big deal / concern for anything? As long as the bolts are the right length, that's what counts? If it's no big deal, I am wondering why that website bothers mentioning it - they make it sound like it's some sort of disadvantage / something to watch out for... NO REAL DISADVANTAGE, JUST A DIFFERENT SPACER CONCEPT.

Quick Reply: Would you add spacers to this winter rim combo?