E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Miata Starion Forester
Default Worth it?

I found an 08 E61 right around the corner from me. Asking $18k with 84k on the clock.

Took it in for a PPI and it wasn't too bad

Front LCA's+bushings
Belt roller tensioner worn
Oil filter housing leaking
DME code for fuel low pressure sensor, electric 29f3 ( which research shows its the fuel rail one? )
and left reverse lam malfunction on check control

There are a few others ( e.g. brakes recent replaced front and rear sensor routed incorrectly ) that I feel are minor.

For the list above, that came out to around ~$1700 in parts/labor at the 3rd party shop. Toss in walnut blasting and just over $2K. I plan on using these as a negotiation tool.

Also, at 84k, the turbo's are just out of warranty. How long has it been found the turbos lasting on N54's with proper care?

It's a pretty well optioned E61 ( CX00841 for those who want to do a VIN look up ).

Anything else I should be wary of? I had fun explaining to the shop why a 27 year old is wanting to go to an E61 from an NC Miata
Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

I looked on Nalley Volkswagen's site...car looks good. BMW did a nice job with the beige interior after 08 compared to the monotonous beige prior. It's a turbo engine car...so as long as you're ready and willing to take on the challenge....it should be fun. Certainly gives you more opportunity to 'play' with the performance than the n/a engine. Did you drive it? As for the fuel pressure issues...didn't the 08s have a recall on the fuel pumps?

If you buy it, you'll have to let me take it for a spin!!!

-r
Old 05-12-2015, 12:17 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by oclvframe
I looked on Nalley Volkswagen's site...car looks good. BMW did a nice job with the beige interior after 08 compared to the monotonous beige prior. It's a turbo engine car...so as long as you're ready and willing to take on the challenge....it should be fun. Certainly gives you more opportunity to 'play' with the performance than the n/a engine. Did you drive it? As for the fuel pressure issues...didn't the 08s have a recall on the fuel pumps?

If you buy it, you'll have to let me take it for a spin!!!

-r
I did drive it. My mom was riding shotgun, and the sales lady had to sit in the back. We went into an office complex and did 0-60 and 60-0 tests, and how tight it would turn around a light pole and then transition to the other direction in both D and DS mode ( this was my mom doing this part, I was laughing maniacally and trying to figure out how the hell a sunroof has 8 different modes )

... it was fun hitting triple digits on the Haynes Bridge on ramp and making it to Mansell Rd in a matter of seconds. I don't think the sales lady had any idea that we were going so fast because of just how smooth and planted the car is, and its weight hides it's speed very well.

I believe the fuel pump issue applied a lot to the 07 N54's, and some 08s. It's still under the 10 year, 100k warranty, but I think it's a matter of if it hasn't gone by now, it's likely that it won't.

What's nice is one of the guys there in management used to be with BMW when they were selling these, so when I met him the first thing I asked was for a service history of the car to see if walnut blasting has been done, and any warranty work referencing the turbos or HPFP.

If I end up picking her up, you know you get to take her for a spin!

Last edited by stormhammer; 05-12-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535xi Wagon, '03 330ci Convertible
Default Not sure.....

Just my opinion but you might want to keep looking.

I just spent 4 months searching and buying an '08 e61 and although this one does not look bad the service issues seem like a red flag to me. Plus you have a 4-owner carfax report with an accident on it, another red flag in terms of future resale value. The price to me is about $1,500 too high AND you're looking at spending another $2,000 on it putting it way off balance in my opinion.

If you are not in a hurry, keep looking, check out as many as you can so you get familiar with what you like and can't live without (like Premium Sound and Comfort Access for me) and when the right car comes up you'll know it.

If you are happy with the option set and they would perform the fixes you reference for a price of $16,500 then the only other question becomes the future value of it.

Whatever you do I wish you the best and hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Mike In Maine
Just my opinion but you might want to keep looking.

I just spent 4 months searching and buying an '08 e61 and although this one does not look bad the service issues seem like a red flag to me. Plus you have a 4-owner carfax report with an accident on it, another red flag in terms of future resale value. The price to me is about $1,500 too high AND you're looking at spending another $2,000 on it putting it way off balance in my opinion.

If you are not in a hurry, keep looking, check out as many as you can so you get familiar with what you like and can't live without (like Premium Sound and Comfort Access for me) and when the right car comes up you'll know it.

If you are happy with the option set and they would perform the fixes you reference for a price of $16,500 then the only other question becomes the future value of it.

Whatever you do I wish you the best and hope this helps.
I meant to grab the carfax last night while I was there too. I'd agree with you, with an accident, those repairs, and going back over the service history not seeing the water pump having been replaced, so assuming that's coming up...

Then again, it appears the wagon is no longer on their web page
Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xiT

I'm also in Cumming, GA and recently bought a 2006 530xiT w/ 91k miles for $12k. I intentionally stayed away from 2008+ 535xiT's to avoid any future turbo issues, but that's just me. I've already spent another $4k on a several maintenance items. And that was doing all the labor myself. You can read about it all here:

So I bought an E61... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

If you haven't read it, I'd search for the "So You Just Bought an E60" thread and search for "mike miller bmws old school maintenance". Both are very good reads if you're in the market for any BMW.

Greg
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ggal625
I'm also in Cumming, GA and recently bought a 2006 530xiT w/ 91k miles for $12k. I intentionally stayed away from 2008+ 535xiT's to avoid any future turbo issues, but that's just me. I've already spent another $4k on a several maintenance items. And that was doing all the labor myself. You can read about it all here:

So I bought an E61... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

If you haven't read it, I'd search for the "So You Just Bought an E60" thread and search for "mike miller bmws old school maintenance". Both are very good reads if you're in the market for any BMW.

Greg
I've definitely have read "So You Just Bought an E60" - I have an idea of what I'm getting into ( Harrison Motorsports also forwarned me about owning an AWD vehicle, till they discovered I've owned 3 Subaru's in the past. )

I'm not opposed to the 530xi ( even though I do like boost! ), really comes down to bang for buck!

Also oclvframe is also in Cumming!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT
Model Year: 2006

You've got to see this 2008 BMW 535 XI at carmax.com!
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/2008-BMW-535-11854738.html

Get that with a 5 year warranty and don't look back!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:39 AM
New Members

If you willing to travel there is a great looking black/brown 535xiT w/ only 57k miles in Indianna for only $16995. That's my favorite interior color. According to cargurus.com it looks like they recently increased the price by $1000. If I had it to do over again I'd find the lowest mileage car I could afford.

2008 BMW 535xiT Sport | Carmel, Indiana | Indy Auto Man

Greg

Last edited by ggal625; 05-16-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM
New Members

On cargurus.com that car is $18.5k. But on the dealer's site it's only $16,995. Clean carfax.

Used BMW 5 Series For Sale Cumming, GA - CarGurus

Quick Reply: Worth it?