E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Winter Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

That's a good idea. Never thought about that.

Thought it seems sparse at the moment, I'll keep checking on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kell' post='1077767' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:38 PM
I've been saying for a while that I'd like to run a set of winter tyres for our car and, given the conditions in the UK at the moment, am now regretting not doing anything about it sooner.

However, does anyone do this and which tyres did you opt for and how much were they?

Also, if they're not RF, do you then carry another spare?
I have some winter chains (35?) as used on the continent which I keep in the boot & will do in an emergency if I get stuck. Don't see them in the UK. Don't know if they if are legal or if there is any problem using them on the E61. Must check the manual, but widely used & compulsory in some locations abroad.
E61 with normal tyres is useless in ice & snow (especially when compared to my previous Saabs).
Lot's of people here in France (Rhone-Alps) switch to winter tyres but can't believe its justified in UK's mild winter climate.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by davidedwardmawer' post='1084522' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:57 PM
I have some winter chains (35?) as used on the continent which I keep in the boot & will do in an emergency if I get stuck. Don't see them in the UK. Don't know if they if are legal or if there is any problem using them on the E61. Must check the manual, but widely used & compulsory in some locations abroad.
E61 with normal tyres is useless in ice & snow (especially when compared to my previous Saabs).
Lot's of people here in France (Rhone-Alps) switch to winter tyres but can't believe its justified in UK's mild winter climate.
To be honest, 98% of the time it isn't. But:

a) we live in a very hilly place and when we do get snow, we get stuck and
b) I'm thinking of driving rather than flying to Alpe D'huez this year and I reckon they'd come in handy then...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Funny. I live in High Wycombe as well and always get stuck at home on my hill as well when it snows (as it did today )
Anyway when I bought my car in Germany it also came with 4 almost new winter tyres and 3 series alloys. These I think are 17 inch. They're still in my garage. Have never really put them back on as I like the look of my 18 inch summer tyres better.
I figured I wouldn't bother with the average 1-2 days per year that it snows in the UK. But this year it's getting a bit silly
Anyway I might be willing to sell if you're interested....
They're not runflats. I have the spare set in the back.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Members

Hi

I did the winter tyre swap for a couple of years with a previous car and you would be surprised at the difference M&S or plain winter rated tyres make even in the UK. As a previous posted mentioned 7degC is the accepted min for summer tyres. November to early April gave me enhanced stopping distances and grip when required, stopped my shiny 19"s getting caked in winter salt and helped extend the life of the more expensive Pirelli PZero Rosso's I ran in the summer.

I run 18's with Goodyear RFT's ;-( at the moment but will investigated some 17" rims from a 525 for example with winter tyres.

C
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='1085346' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:16 PM
Funny. I live in High Wycombe as well and always get stuck at home on my hill as well when it snows (as it did today )
Anyway when I bought my car in Germany it also came with 4 almost new winter tyres and 3 series alloys. These I think are 17 inch. They're still in my garage. Have never really put them back on as I like the look of my 18 inch summer tyres better.
I figured I wouldn't bother with the average 1-2 days per year that it snows in the UK. But this year it's getting a bit silly
Anyway I might be willing to sell if you're interested....
They're not runflats. I have the spare set in the back.
Nice one - I've sent you a PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I run a set of 17s with Vredestein Wintrac Extremes 225/50 17 Dec through March and they're superb in the recent snows. It's good laugh to leave 4WDs and the like standing coming away from a stop.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phelix' post='1086735' date='Jan 8 2010, 08:00 PM
I run a set of 17s with Vredestein Wintrac Extremes 225/50 17 Dec through March and they're superb in the recent snows. It's good laugh to leave 4WDs and the like standing coming away from a stop.
Well I picked up a set of BMW OEM 16" wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport tyres from Bertolli today. Not really had a chance to test them as yet, but I can tell you that driving away from there was the most scared I've ever been in a car.

On my way to get the new tyres put on, I went down the hill at the end of his road and slid the entire way down. Had to put the car into the kerb to slow it down and wasn't sure if I was going to make the corner at the bottom. It was a weird feeling knowing that you were sliding and completely out of control and there was nothing I could do to change it. Brakes on or off, it made no difference. Steering left or right made very little difference. Luckily, the residents must be all all aware of this as no one had parked their car there.

I only hope these tyres make a lot of difference. Because I don't want to go through that again.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I just spent 3 days in the UK. The snow isn't the problem, its the ice that makes you slide like crazy!! For the general snow and winter conditions those new winter tyres will no doubt be a good help -- and in your case I'd rather be driving into the curb with 16s than a nice set of M135s Good to hear you got that sorted
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Wow! hope your car or alloys weren't damaged Kell?
I already was surprised you managed to get up here.
Good luck with the winter tyres though. Hope they make the difference the manufactures say. I never had the opportunity to test them in snow

Quick Reply: Winter Tyres