5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Winter Tires (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/winter-tires-52351/)

rugger 03-22-2008 04:13 AM

Hello,

I live in Sweden and are a bit curious about winter driving....I am a bit skeptical about a rear wheel drive car in winter conditions. I have ordered winter tires with studs, is this good enough ? Anyone gotten stuck in winter driving conditions? The dealer claims that the electronic slip and skid controls are taking over and that I wont even notice im driving on icy/snowy conditions....Just wanted to hear if anyone has any tips and or experieinces...

Robert J 03-22-2008 10:30 AM

Even we got som of the white the last days you don't have to fear to take your new car for a drive in the snow. You will be suprised how nice it goes even in slippery and icey conditons. I had the same fears coing from a FWD Saab, but it's amazing how easy it's to drive the RWD BMW in snow and ice. Even my wife that normally drives a Volvo V50 likes the handling of the BMW on winterroads better.

The DSC and other assistance systems works as fine and safely as your dealer states, even the indicator for slipping is coming on it's keeping the traction and you can also see it on the minimal wear on the studs. I have a friend that drives cab with a V70-II and it have taken som 20% of the studs in the drive wheels in only 20000km. I have had myn studdes Hakkas for more than 20000km and all studs is still there.

So you can go back to your wintersleep, there will not be any problems for you to shift to a RWD.

narvselius 03-23-2008 01:11 AM

Exactly. And the dealer is actually right here - the electronics do marvel and you have to drive in really poor conditions to notice the car is RWD. And I don't even have studded winter tyres...

But, on the other hand - as the 5-series is such a great car it lulls you into a state where you think that you more or less become invincible. Which is not the case... :rolleyes: as you may notice if pushing hard on a wintry road. :o

deeman 03-23-2008 03:10 AM

Agree with the others but my old FWD Saab 9-5 Aero 2005 was better in snow than my RWD BMW!
But 245/45-18 winter wheels aren?t the best for traction! :D :D Looks good tough...
Had 205/55-16 on the Saab.... :) With 16" wheels on the BMW it would be even I think!
DSC and the other system is really helpful and with out that I would be off the roads a couple of times!
Dont worry and drive safe!

rugger 03-23-2008 03:52 AM

Thanks guys for calming my nerves...I guess the true test will be the yearly ski trip to the Swedish "mountians" next Februaruy :D

Heelsonwheels 03-23-2008 04:03 AM

The car will be fine in the snow (obviously depending on the depth)and ice with the right snow tires; my preference are the Dunlop M3's.

narvselius 03-24-2008 08:13 AM

The M3's are great, but difficult to get hold on for adecent sum of money - I don't understand why they don't bang on the drum for those over here. :think:

Robert J 03-24-2008 09:19 AM

Don't you think it's becouse it's a tyre made for continental Eu. What I understand the tyres made for middle and southern Eu have harder rubber and less cuttings than the ones made for Nordics.

rugger 03-24-2008 12:19 PM

Any of you hear if the Nokian HKPL XL are a good tire? These are the ones included in package I have with my company car?

Robert J 03-24-2008 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by rugger' post='550078' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:19 PM
Any of you hear if the Nokian HKPL XL are a good tire? These are the ones included in package I have with my company car?

I have Hakka 5 on my car and they are a little soft on the sides and a little noisy to be totally perfect. But they are awsome when it comes to real winter conditions. (I think XL is just a marking for Extra Load, the tyre have higher load rating.)