E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Winter Cleaning Regime

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every day I take my E61 (le mans blue) out it gets covered in rain, salts, road grime etc. Mostly from motorway, freeway, autoroute. Obviously, because it's now Winter in Europe and the road is always wet.

I have tried clearning it, but one-day later it's covered in filth again.

I'm thinking of giving it one last clean and good polish / waxing, the just giving up until the weather improves in March, with maybe just the occassional water jetting to rinse off the dirt.

What do you guys recommend to keep the car clean in these winter months ? what do you do ? I considered just a automatic car wash, but that can scratch-the-hell out of the paint.

Such a pity to see such a great colour dirt all the time irght now.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by higher' post='1075154' date='Dec 17 2009, 03:11 PM
Every day I take my E61 (le mans blue) out it gets covered in rain, salts, road grime etc. Mostly from motorway, freeway, autoroute. Obviously, because it's now Winter in Europe and the road is always wet.

I have tried clearning it, but one-day later it's covered in filth again.

I'm thinking of giving it one last clean and good polish / waxing, the just giving up until the weather improves in March, with maybe just the occassional water jetting to rinse off the dirt.

What do you guys recommend to keep the car clean in these winter months ? what do you do ? I considered just a automatic car wash, but that can scratch-the-hell out of the paint.

Such a pity to see such a great colour dirt all the time irght now.
Subzero temperatures !
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1075177' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:24 PM
Subzero temperatures !
haha easy to say that in Finland!!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Members

Not easy to do.

Here in Connecticut, we've got several car wash places that have replaced their wash machinery with people, which results in a true hand wash, no matter the temperature. The price is higher, but the results are far better. This is one of the few places I feel comfortable taking my car in the middle of winter when it's covered with grit and grime.

I don't have the gene that allows me to drive a dirty car, so probably wash every 2 weeks in winter, every week hand wash in the driveway during summer.

Cheers
Gundo
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xd, 2006, 231hp 4-wheel-drive, Monaco metal blue, Dakota beige leather interior, fine wood trim, extended lighting package, adaptive Headlights, headlight cleaning system, PDC, extended automatic air conditioning, ProNav, ipod connection, skibag, electric engine/interior heating, thb200 sub, 19" M6 wheels, Schmiedmann frontspoiler lip, tyre control, servotronic

[quote name='higher' date='Dec 17 2009, 08:11 AM' post='1075154']

dont ever, ever put your car in automatic car wash .
bmw's water based paint is so week to handle "sand paper job" what automatic car wash make.

find a place where they make hand wash.
Here in Finland, are plenty places where they make hand wash.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Easy enough to d here in SoCal, we don't really get a real "winter" per se, we get at worst late autumn weather. So normal care is what our cars need. The flip side is that since it is so dry here we do have to be careful about sun damage (regular waxing), and dry rot degrading the rubber seals and bushings prematurely.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Power wash inside my garage.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

key to keeping your car clean.....GET TUFF

J/K it is hard but who have to work though it.

i help out my friend who owns a detail shop and we washed 3 cars last night outside in 28 degree weather. the key is fill the wash buckets with hot water and then wash the car quickly cuz it will freeze over eventually. then get the car in the garage and finish the rest. main thing is to apply a good coat of sealant to the paint before the winter for salt protection. then i wax my car at least once a month. just always keep coats of wax on it for the extra protection. another good thing to remember is to use car soaps that are PH balanced so they don't strip the previous coat of wax off the car while your washing. i personally don't like going to car wash places even if they are hand wash because they use the same mitts on every car. i like to know that my mitts are free of as much dirt as possible.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='1075245' date='Dec 17 2009, 11:52 AM
Power wash inside my garage.

Power wash INSIDE your garage,
I thought this was a mistake before I realised you were in Finalnd !!
Where I guess the water would freeze before it got from the power wash to the car if you did it outside.
Here in the UK we are paniking about -2 tempreture and a little snow which is almost stopping the country
I guess that is laughable compared to Finald temps right now.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by higher' post='1075249' date='Dec 17 2009, 07:06 PM
Power wash INSIDE your garage,
I thought this was a mistake before I realised you were in Finalnd !!
Where I guess the water would freeze before it got from the power wash to the car if you did it outside.
Here in the UK we are paniking about -2 tempreture and a little snow which is almost stopping the country
I guess that is laughable compared to Finald temps right now.
This week has been the first "real" winter week here. We are having -20 to -25?C here where I live but up norther there has been -32?C already. At these temperatures it is absolutely impossible to get the car dirty. I'm lucky I can wash my car inside so it's not a problem even at winter when the car eventually gets dirty.

About those automatic car washes. Washes with brushes is an ultimate no no! A brushless wash is ok for a car that is not so dirty, but the hand wash is the best. However, I don't let anyone else to wash my car. Even in handwash, there are so many things you can do wrong after all.

- Antti -

Quick Reply: Winter Cleaning Regime