E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Wheel Confusion, No Dealer Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006
Default Wheel Confusion, No Dealer Help

I'd like to replace my stock wheels with Star Spoke 89. They look like this: BMW LA wheel, star spoke 89. Fits: 2006 BMW 5 Series (E12,E28,E34,E39,E60,E61) 530i | BMW of South Atlanta

In my search to find out if they will work, I have only discovered a massive headache. I know this topic has been asked frequently so I have been reading as many posts as the search function would retrieve, but I am ever farther away from my answer. Some BMW equipment guides list this style as a staggered setup not for the "Allrad," while other databases and dealer listings label it suitable.

From the posts I have read, I would say that the 89 wheels would work, staggered or not. The conflicting information from parts catalogs and the lack of dealer knowledge have me doubting myself. One parts dept. couldn't even agree on a price, giving me two quotes more than $400 apart for the same part number.

The Felgen Katalog (Felgen-Katalog - BMW-Treff - der Treffpunkt für alle BMW-Fans und -Fahrer) only lists the sedan and states that it won't work for the AWD variant. But what about the wagon with its different offset requirement?

I can buy single wheels to make all four match in size. Will that work? Or is there an inherent problem in the sizes that I am not aware of?

Front: 8 x 18, 245/40 R18W
Rear: 9 x 18, 275/35 R18W

I have seen AWD E61s with enormous wheels, which makes me think that these 18" OEM wheels must work. Right?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I looked at the factory wheel options for a 2007 E60 530xi. It shows one staggered wheel set.

E60 530xi BMW LA wheel, star spoke 124

[click here for details]

8JX18 ET:43 36116775793
9JX18 ET:55 36116775794

The matching tires are:
245/40R18 93Y (or W)
275/35R18 95Y (or W)

The basic dimensions of the the style 89 wheel seem to fit, but style 89 not listed for the E60 xi. There may be internal clearance issues. The wheel may not come in the offset (ET) for XI or the wheels do not clear the suspension components. The wheels at BMW of South Atlanta have RWD offsets (ET:20 and ET:32).
Old 01-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

So you are looking for xi wheels? You never came out and said it and you have no signature and the garage in your profile is empty (hint, hint). Help us help you!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

All wagons in North America are AWD's I thought. Nonetheless, if you're looking for a staggered setup, tons of guys here have done it, and I'm sure search should show their specs. The offset is what you're missing, as others have said, which is what is the key difference b/w our AWD cars and the non AWD ones. Be careful not to read specs of wagons from Europe, as some of them don't have AWD wagons.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Members

I appreciate the help, thank you all. I didn't know there was so much to learn about wheels, but now it seems so obvious.

vkhong: Is there a single correct offset for the xi, or is there a range?

ET for offset, I will remember that. I know wheel size and offset are two different things, but I always imagined the bigger the wheel the tighter the space and Vice Verse. That is why I couldn't understand how some cars could have those enormous aftermarket wheels and still drive.

Lotus99- That is my impression as well. At least for the US market.

I am not necessarily looking for a staggered set up, just something more interesting than my original stock wheels with those cheesy roundel stickers. Hence the style 89 wheels- by far one of my top 5 favorite wheels from any manufacturer.

I don't know anything about aftermarket wheels. Are there any OEM or aftermarket suggestions for our Xis?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by TwoPedal

I am not necessarily looking for a staggered set up, just something more interesting than my original stock wheels with those cheesy roundel stickers. Hence the style 89 wheels- by far one of my top 5 favorite wheels from any manufacturer.
Here is a list of all the OEM wheels. All BMW wheel styles | BmwStyleWheels.com You just have to be careful of the offsets, which you've learned. Anything between ET 35 and 45 should be okay.

I don't know anything about aftermarket wheels. Are there any OEM or aftermarket suggestions for our Xis?
Also look at wheels for E46 (1999-2005 3 Series) and E53 (1999-2006 X5) because those will fit too.

Lots of possibilities in aftermarket. Just have to match lug pattern (5 x 120), center bore (72.5 mm) and the ET range. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Twopedal, read up on offset and try these links once you have your wheel specs:

1010TIRES.COM - Wheel Offset Calculator

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

As far as which aftermarket wheels would fit your car, go to Tire Rack and plug in your car, and see what's shown. It'll be accurate in terms of specs that will fit your car and clear things. Wheel width will play into the calculations too you'll see.

On offset - others, please correct me if I'm wrong!

It confuses me too, but from what I've read, when you lower it, the wheels will stick out more, and you get more inner clearance. That's backed up by the first link above I posted. So you'd think that it would be safe in general getting lower offset wheels. But here's where I'm not sure how things work, as quite a few people have pointed out that lower offset wheels like those on RWD cars with 20 offset will NOT clear the xi stuff...
When I plug in a 2006 wagon with stock 18 wheels on Tire Rack, I get offsets ranging from 30 to 45mm, so in theory wheels with those offsets should work with your car.

18' wheels for your car: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...rSpecial=false

They might not give you a staggered setup for your car, if yours didn't come originally with them, and that's where you'll have to do more research and see perhaps if xi sedans of your year ran staggered setups, what their specs were. I believe that's what I've read people here have done.

Or support the vendors on this forum if you're looking for nicer wheels, or different stuff than TR carries. They should know for sure what works on our cars. TR has a range of wheels from $100 to $500 each, including BBS, but they tend to have more budget wheels I'd say, so I've bought my winter tire setup from them.

TR is fun to play with, because they have a "View it on my Vehicle" tool, where it gives you an idea of what the wheel will look like on your car also.

One last thing to consider, if you want the staggered look: get a square setup (all 4 the same) and add some spacers to the rear, like me. I just got a set of 20mm spacers for my rear. It will keep things simple in terms of wheels, tires, rotations, etc. as they'll all match, and for $100, add a bit more aggressive look to your car!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Members

Excellent links and information, jayarras & Lotus99. Thank you very much. Your help is much appreciated. Armed with all this new information (that I can actually understand) I am excited to start browsing new wheels. I had no idea that some E46/53 wheels will work. Its nice to have choices.

I have never had another car where wheel selection was so involved. I'm glad I'm not alone in my confusion! That is a clever trick to achieve the staggered look. I had never seen a staggered setup up close until I saw a R129 SL Mercedes-Benz. It looked great with those monolithic AMG wheels.

BBS, are those wheels significantly lighter than OEM? A quick selection for our Xi E61s gave a weight of 25.4 lbs. for 18x8.5. I will check out the forum vendor's selection as well.