E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Wheel alignment way out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Realx, severe inner tire wear is perfectly normal for our cars. Keep in mind -2.0 degrees (negative) camber is still within spec for the E60. What you can do (and I already did) was have the alignment shop dial out as much negative camber as possible, they managed to get mine to -0.8 which will hopefully make my tires last much longer. Another thing to do is to switch the rear tires each side every 5k miles or so, this will prevent just one edge getting too worn too soon.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Picked it up this morning and sure enough the rears were over the acceptable camber. I don't have the print out in front of me, but when I said "So were they out then" the response from the garage owner was "Oh yeah!".

THe most worrying thing, however, was that the new tyres were affecting the handling. Driving at say 85mph the car continually felt like it was experiencing a cross-wind and veering a good foot or so to one side or the other. Could just be tramlining, but felt like something was awry. My missus drove it on a 400 mile round trip and didn't want to get back into it until it was sorted.

This is not something that we've experienced at all in the 5 years we've had it. Not had a chance to drive it at those speeds yet as I only picked it up on my way to the station.

But if you read THIS thread, then you'll see that all is still not rosy.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann
I had this for numerous sets of rears, then at last service (c. 240,000 miles) BMW replaced both the rear balljoints. The car now sits with significantly less negative camber on the rear and is wearing evenly. The initial symtoms (other than wear) were a 'floaty' feeling in bends and crests during spirited driving and sometimes squeaking from the rear (which stopped on one side when the joint was completely knackered). Replace in pairs - BMW did one side first then I drove off with the car feeling like the air suspension unit had failed on the other side , they then immediately did the other side and all was good !
Can you point out those balljoints on that pic? Nr. 2 is a ball joint, but you mentioned 2 on each side?

Wheel alignment way out.-197.png
Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

I had the same issue with my rears. I think it's the combination of the negative camber by BMW, my 19's sitting on 275 rear tires and the 9 and a half inch wide wheels that wore out prematurely the rear tires.

I will be putting on the winters on in the next couple of weeks and will get the alignment done and dial out the negative camber a little.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by mmitev
Can you point out those balljoints on that pic? Nr. 2 is a ball joint, but you mentioned 2 on each side?
Sorry, misunderstanding - it is No 2, but just 1 either side. The dealer tried to replace just one side at first, not both sides at the same time