E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What did you do for your E61 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by oclvframe
Not sure what would be wired for the headrest....as best as I could tell, the headrest pops into the 'pushing' device that allows you to raise it or lower it. The wires I was dealing with are the firing wires for the gas chamber that pushes the headrest forward in a impact. I pulled the seat so I could access the opposite end where the wires end at the plug. I only left about 2" of the original wires on each end.

So far so good....Im keeping my fingers crossed that the light doesn't pop up again!

If you look at this photo, you can see where the chrome 'legs' pop on to the 'pusher/puller' thing.

As long as the legs are the same spread and girth, it should pop right in.

-r
I'll get a photo for you. My 08 headrest has wiring going up through one chrome leg on each headrest. Yes, these are for some "pyro" device. There's actually a connector a few inches below end of leg of course so that the whole thing can feed through the seat holes then get plugged together. The earlier design headrest has no such wiring though. I''m SO annoyed with it. Seeing yours really makes me wonder though and want to solve this.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

anyone know why i can't uload photos when i login through firefox on my iphone? The little photo icon is there but then nothing happens. maybe there's an app for the forum?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
I'll get a photo for you. My 08 headrest has wiring going up through one chrome leg on each headrest. Yes, these are for some "pyro" device. There's actually a connector a few inches below end of leg of course so that the whole thing can feed through the seat holes then get plugged together. The earlier design headrest has no such wiring though. I''m SO annoyed with it. Seeing yours really makes me wonder though and want to solve this.
Ah.....yeah....forgot. The gas chamber for the headrest is actually inside the headrest. If you watch this video, it shows how it all goes together:

Only way you will be able to make those headrests like mine work is by putting in a resister of proper value on the wires coming up the seat and be without the pyro unit. Is the pusher/puller headrest hight thing even the same as mine? Will the older style headrests actually go into the same holes?

-r
Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Yes the older headrest drops right in and connects to the adjusting mechanism. Only difference is lack of wiring. Thx for video!
Old 03-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
Yes the older headrest drops right in and connects to the adjusting mechanism. Only difference is lack of wiring. Thx for video!
Then I suggest just soldering in a resister to mimic the missing pyro unit.

-r
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Ah.....yeah....forgot. The gas chamber for the headrest is actually inside the headrest. If you watch this video, it shows how it all goes together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uic3ZR37F7g

Only way you will be able to make those headrests like mine work is by putting in a resister of proper value on the wires coming up the seat and be without the pyro unit. Is the pusher/puller headrest hight thing even the same as mine? Will the older style headrests actually go into the same holes?

-r
Thx for trying with that video but mine are nothing like that. those headrests are in the newer chassis. Yours and mine are in the E61 chassis. Also, yours and mine are way more comfortable design. I hate that crap they did with the ones seen in the video.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Members

Tomorrow is going to be fun!

OFHG’s, belt/tensioner/pulley, water pump and thermostat, and last but not least, akebono euro pads because I hate cleaning the wheels!!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Members

Tomorrow is going to be fun!

OFHG’s, belt/tensioner/pulley, water pump and thermostat, and last but not least, akebono euro pads because I hate cleaning the wheels!!!!
Well, that didn’t go well. Had everything apart and drained but could not get to two of the hose band-clamps. I tried various different angles and such but in the end I am defeated. Put it all back together and filled the coolant back up. Now I need to decide what’s next. Run to a buddy’s shop and try again tomorrow, or, go to another buddy’s shop and place an order on a Subaru Crosstrek.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Members

So my adventure continued today. I got in the car early and drove an hour and a half to Macon where a buddy of mine is a tech. He knocked both the water pump/t-stat and the OFHGs in no time flat.....after that he spent a ton of time cleaning everything the oil had made a mess on. All-in-all a good day after yesterday's nightmare. Next are akebono euro pads....that I think I can knock out myself without too much fuss.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Members

Last but not least, I have swapped out the pads I put on over two years ago....those pads were centric pads and although they didn't dust near as bad as stock BMW pads, they were enough to be annoying considering I have Style 197 wheels on. Now I have a fresh set of Akebono Euros.....excited to not have to clean the wheels all the time!!!

Quick Reply: What did you do for your E61 today?