E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Warranty expiration looming - do I keep the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olivierfm
I had my shifter mechanism replaced (would not shift into reverse) also covered under warranty. The replacement part seems a little fragile as well. The car also went through two HPFPs and they replaced a few injectors as well.
Regarding the valve job and new turbos - You will definitely see an improvement in the way the engine responds. It was really noticeable and put a nice grin on my face. Makes we want to keep it... Thanks for the heads up on the steering rack. I will make sure to watch it. Apparently the front thrust control arm bushings tend to need replacement on all E60's. I've seen postings with cars with less than 50K having to replace the bushings - not CHEAP! I guess that will be my expense when it comes up...

I can do those jobs myself when they need doing, often it is the labour that kills for these jobs. I could change out the HPFP and a shifter but wouldn't take on replacing the injectors or the turbos. So if I can feel like the car won't need another set of turbos for 100k then I think it is a risk worth taking.

I like BMW's but the amount of expensive maintenance and apparent fragility of certain parts is really shocking at times. I can see why leasing these cars for three years and moving on to either another BMW or another brand is quite popular, - the cost of long term ownership of German cars can be frightening. I really think the brand gets away with too many reliability and durability problems - it is amazing the loyal following it has despite all the problems. They need to be less complex and more durable or BMW really needs to set up their R&D and thoroughly test out new components before releasing them. The HPFP was a complete disaster. But enough negativity... I still like driving it
Since they switched to inclusive maintenance the cars have become a lot more fragile. Plus a lot of parts these days are made from lightweight materials and have a shorter shelf life. By following a more traditional maintenance schedule including dropping all the transmission, diff & transfer case fluids regularly then my supposition is that reliability will ultimately return. I also switch the car to the waterless coolant in a bid to make my cooling system last longer.

The other great thing about owning a BMW is that they are popular enough for there to be a lot of knowledge to help address some of the persistent faults. Often this leads to an aftermarket upgraded part which is fine. I still believe they are inherently strong vehicles.

I realize that only I can come to the right conclusion but I'm leaning towards keeping it and investing in the PM will wash out the 'neglect' caused by the BMW maintenance schedule for the first 50k.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xit

Great points.

You are lucky you are able to do a lot of the work yourself. I am not quite there...
I got the car with around 23K on it. I've been changing the oil every 5-7K. You would recommend that the transfer case and automatic transmission oils be changed as well at this point (50k)? I've also heard the electric water pump can be a bit fragile as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by olivierfm
Great points.

You are lucky you are able to do a lot of the work yourself. I am not quite there...
I got the car with around 23K on it. I've been changing the oil every 5-7K. You would recommend that the transfer case and automatic transmission oils be changed as well at this point (50k)? I've also heard the electric water pump can be a bit fragile as well.
Yes, one of the first things I did when I bought the car with 48k on it was have all the fluids replaced by my indie mechanic. Essential if you want to keep the car out of warranty IMHO.

So it would seem that BMW heard my cries and saw fit to give me a completely new car. They cunningly disguised it as my old one but the driving experience is so so so much improved I can't believe it is the same car. If I can keep it driving like this then I'll keep it!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
New Members

Angry

Originally Posted by tony2x
Yes, one of the first things I did when I bought the car with 48k on it was have all the fluids replaced by my indie mechanic. Essential if you want to keep the car out of warranty IMHO.

So it would seem that BMW heard my cries and saw fit to give me a completely new car. They cunningly disguised it as my old one but the driving experience is so so so much improved I can't believe it is the same car. If I can keep it driving like this then I'll keep it!
And... back to the dealer on a flatbed.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

What happened?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
What happened?
Front left wheel started vibrating violently.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xit

Wow! It seems like they probably forgot to retighten something. Replacing the turbos calls for dropping the subframe which is a huge job. To be honest mine felt a little different after I got it back as well. Nothing like what you experienced but it seem like the front end was a bit looser and had a bit more vibration coming through. I brushed it off thinking that it was just my imagination but maybe when they pull everything out it somehow compromises the subframe bushings or some other related part. Keep us posted...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I have a 08 535XIT as well and it a great car that has required lots of maintenance. At 49,000 miles it has had a number of fuel pump issues that seemed to be solved. This spring I had a check engine light issue and it was related to the value timing. Late simmer had carbon build-up problem. All the work has been paid for by BMW.

The car does drive great now (much better after the carbon build-up was addressed). I have a few more years on my CPO so I will keep it for now. With regard to the op my guess is that the value of the car is low so to me even if you get hit with a $5,000 repair the cost of ownership for another 50,000 to 100,000 miles will not be that high. A new 3 wagon costs $50,000+/- and might be a alternative?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat
I have a 08 535XIT as well and it a great car that has required lots of maintenance. At 49,000 miles it has had a number of fuel pump issues that seemed to be solved. This spring I had a check engine light issue and it was related to the value timing. Late simmer had carbon build-up problem. All the work has been paid for by BMW.

The car does drive great now (much better after the carbon build-up was addressed). I have a few more years on my CPO so I will keep it for now. With regard to the op my guess is that the value of the car is low so to me even if you get hit with a $5,000 repair the cost of ownership for another 50,000 to 100,000 miles will not be that high. A new 3 wagon costs $50,000+/- and might be a alternative?
I like your logic here and the maths work out too. I had considered the new 3 until I spent some time with one in the UK recently and it is just too small for what I need but if it came with a compelling 6 banger diesel then I could be convinced.