E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Wagon or sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Alright - maybe that's a pretty silly question, 'cause I suppose most buyers just know that they either want the sedan or wagon. But I'm really struggling with it, and I may be placing my order this week.

So, aesthetically, I like the looks of the sedan better than the wagon. But I'm not at all opposed to wagons, and definitely like the E61. We have two young boys, ages 1 and 3, and since this is going to be a long-term car, I'm wondering if the wagon will be more useful in the future, as the boys get into soccer, hockey, etc.

Now, my wife drives an MDX, and will probably always have some sort of mid-size SUV, so that fits the bill of the primary family hauler well. But, as two working parents, we share kid-transport duties everyday, which is exactly why I'm looking to replace my car with a larger one.

The trunk on the sedan seems pretty large to me, with a nice big opening to fit stuff through. So, if the real "usefulness" of the wagon cargo area is only marginally better than the sedan's trunk, I'd just as soon get the sedan, and save a couple grand to boot.

Any input?

Thanks - hoping to "join the club" soon, if I can just make up my mind.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Sedan... I never really liked the looks of the Wagon. And especially since you'll always have a SUV for the wife get the sedan.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Contributors

Sedan... The wagon makes the car look less of wat it reali is... For me this is true for all cars that offer sedan and wagon. The E60 is one of those cars that look reali good as a sedan only. As for space, I think that it'll be enough since your wife owns an SUV anyways. Personally i'll go with the sedan...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530 xi Touring, Alpine white, Auburn interior, black headliner, maple trim, auto, logic 7, comfort seats/access.

Go with the wagon, i think it looks alot better than the sedan the lines of the wagon are alot cleaner. the only problem with the wagon is that you can only get it in the US with AWD, I love mine and i have a 3 year old, its nice to have room for stuff.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to think about private resale later on, too.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='322661' date='Aug 15 2006, 05:58 AM
Alright - maybe that's a pretty silly question, 'cause I suppose most buyers just know that they either want the sedan or wagon. But I'm really struggling with it, and I may be placing my order this week.

So, aesthetically, I like the looks of the sedan better than the wagon. But I'm not at all opposed to wagons, and definitely like the E61. We have two young boys, ages 1 and 3, and since this is going to be a long-term car, I'm wondering if the wagon will be more useful in the future, as the boys get into soccer, hockey, etc.
I needed an estate (wagon?) when my kids were still in prams (strollers?), had to pack bags of nappies (diapers?) and all kinds of baby clutter. Now when they're 7 and 10 the E60 sedan is fine for even quite long trips. If you plan on having an SUV in the house anyway - go for the sedan.

--

Przemek
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 AM
Members

I would go for the wagon.

I own a E39 520iA atm and we strugle to get things when on holidays with only one kid of age 3. BMWs are not well known for their boot space even in the new E60 series.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Hi. I had the same dilema because coming from the E39, the boot was relatively small. But the E60 is a different kettle of fish! The boot of the sedan is huge! One forum member here even complained that it was too large !!

I have a daughter and I going on holiday with wife and kid on the E39 meant that the boot + back seat was full of stuff. With the E60, the Boot takes everything - suitcases, Pram (without having to remove the wheels), toys etc etc etc. Its nice cause on daily use u just open the boot, throw the pram in, and i'm done.

Poleapart has 2 kids and still finds the sedan big enough. And Polish guys love to pack their car full of goodies and presents for the family!!

I also prefer the look of the Sedan. So unless u are larger than a family of 3 i'd take the sedan. Sedans are also great for after market mods. I hear also that 166 wheels dont fit on a Wagon (dont know why though).

Let us know what u choose.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Originally Posted by gianton' post='322736' date='Aug 15 2006, 12:23 PM
I would go for the wagon.

I own a E39 520iA atm and we strugle to get things when on holidays with only one kid of age 3. BMWs are not well known for their boot space even in the new E60 series.
I beg to differ my friend. I had a e39 and the boot was indeed small. The e60's boot is much higher which makes all the difference! No comparison to the e39.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Members

Plus I like the looks of the wagon more than the sedan. Maybe it is just me.

Quick Reply: Wagon or sedan?