E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Virbration when braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking my discs and pads need changing as I am getting a vibration through the steering when braking from high speed. The vibration is just at the first 10% of braking. As I keep depressing the brake pedal, it dissapears. Also not noticable at slower speeds.

Tested the tyres, wheel nuts etc, nothing is loose so far as I can tell, and the discs don't feel that worn. The mileage is 47,000 miles 97,000kms

Anyone have any experiences to share about disc / pad renewal ? or ideas about what could be causing it.

Seperately, I also have occassional knocking from the prop-shaft when in reverse gear - any ideas on that ?

And....my rear seat belt clasp failed.....and....my fuel consumption has dropped off a cliff last few weeks since really cold weather/

The car is going into the dealer on Thursday, I am getting myself ready for the "sorry, we couldn't find anything wrong with it" response.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher
I am thinking my discs and pads need changing as I am getting a vibration through the steering when braking from high speed. The vibration is just at the first 10% of braking. As I keep depressing the brake pedal, it dissapears. Also not noticable at slower speeds.

Tested the tyres, wheel nuts etc, nothing is loose so far as I can tell, and the discs don't feel that worn. The mileage is 47,000 miles 97,000kms

Anyone have any experiences to share about disc / pad renewal ? or ideas about what could be causing it.

Seperately, I also have occassional knocking from the prop-shaft when in reverse gear - any ideas on that ?

And....my rear seat belt clasp failed.....and....my fuel consumption has dropped off a cliff last few weeks since really cold weather/

The car is going into the dealer on Thursday, I am getting myself ready for the "sorry, we couldn't find anything wrong with it" response.
I'm calling ti rotors warping or control arm and related suspension bushings .
Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Members

Sounds like crooked discs to me. Depending on the remaining material, maybe they can be machined straight instead of an entire replacement. Had the problem on my previous Audi
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Yep ! was warped discs, not covered by my maintenance package - so looking for a goodwill gesture from BMW, will let you know the outcome - don't hold you breath !!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher
Yep ! was warped discs, not covered by my maintenance package - so looking for a goodwill gesture from BMW, will let you know the outcome - don't hold you breath !!
If the rotors were factory original and installed by BMW they should be replaced w/o charge. Do you have the BMW maintenance service agreement? That covers replacement of pads and rotors.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
If the rotors were factory original and installed by BMW they should be replaced w/o charge. Do you have the BMW maintenance service agreement? That covers replacement of pads and rotors.
Yes, I have as much maintenance support package as money can buy. Car still under manufacturers warranty, full service pack for another year. BMW say the discs/ rotors don't need changing for 26k miles (according to idrive), so fault must be overheating, heavy braking etc. It's all bull from the dealer / service agent, it's an M Sport for goodness sake, built for a sporty ride / drive, ie; air scoops in front valance to direct air-flow to rotors. BMW are considering a good-will gesture.....how very considerate of them, maybe I'll do the same when considering another car !!! F***ers
Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I had warped discs on my E46 330 after approx 80 000 kms. And I certainly don't drive aggressive at all, rather the opposite. Had to pay it myself, so good luck!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Members

I had the famous vibration as well and had to rotors cut even tho they do not suggest it. After that same problem, so I installed brand new set of rotors and pads. Felt great for 1000 miles then the vibration returned. Went and got my front thrust arm bushings and BJs. Replaced them and vibration is gone.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

There is an interesting article out there that basically says.. rotors don't warp anymore. The problem is brake deposits on your discs. I've had personal experience with such deposits on a few of my cars.. the worst is our minivan. What's the solution? You heat up your brakes as if you are properly bedding the brakes. You need to get your car going at a nice clip.. 60mph and brake hard down to 30mph or so 4 or 5 times, then bring it down from 60 to almost zero. Being careful not to just park your car and keep your foot on the brake because when you do this, the pads melt and leave a deposit back on it. What you're doing is cooking/scraping off all the surfaces and making them smooth again. It really does work.. the problem is finding a good space to do it in. And the next problem is how fast until it comes back? If you're out to humor yourself.. do it.. you might be surprised at the results.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

rice_rocket88 took the words out of my fingers. I second everything he said.

-r

Quick Reply: Virbration when braking