E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Vibrations when starting cold engine - 2010 535ix

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies
Default Vibrations when starting cold engine - 2010 535ix

So I thought I should probably stop thread jacking another guy's post and put up a new one...

Our wagon is a 2010, with only 30,000 miles on it at the moment, and when we start her up, on cold starts, for the first minute the car vibrates quite a bit lately. This is before we drive off, so it has nothing to do with tires.

It seems to almost go away when the car is warmed up though, like after a minute of idling, or when the engine is already warm and you start it up. It's still there, but very faint. I wouldn't describe it as a fast shudder, but as if the vibrations were in a wave format, like something that spins and at the top of every movement, every time it vibrates. It's the whole car, and you can feel it in the seat, not thru the steering wheel.

Wonder what it could be? This is getting annoying now with these various visits to the dealer lately...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 AM
New Members

I would put my money on the injectors. Unless your have been replaced, they will be the prime suspect in vibrations in the motor when cold.

Are you still under warranty? You should be able to go back to the dealer and have them change out the offending injectors.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, I wonder if that's it then... Though the HPFP recall work was done on the car 1.5 years ago, which was supposed to include some injectors (if needed), but I don't know if any were changed.

This past summer, when car was fully loaded, with three bikes and a roof box on it, when driving up a mountain pass, at like 4000 feet altitude, I would feel some hesitation when accelerating. I didn't get any codes on the dash or check engine lights. But about a month ago, when scanning the car for codes, I saw an H30F2, which is supposed to be an "Ignition glow code" or something like that. I've not yet looked into it, as H means historical, so it's a code that's no longer present, so I didn't worry too much. I wonder if it's related to injectors too... It does bother me though, as I've read it's not a good code to see at all...
Old 12-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
This past summer, when car was fully loaded, with three bikes and a roof box on it, when driving up a mountain pass, at like 4000 feet altitude, I would feel some hesitation when accelerating. I didn't get any codes on the dash or check engine light.
I had same symptoms (no altitude concerns though) especially fully loaded going up slight inclines. At first, just hiccup/hesitation at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with no codes. Then surging/hesitation, no codes. Then finally half engine, reduced power with injector 2 and 5 fault codes. Took 3 trips to the dealer, 1st time no codes, no fix. 2nd time, replaced collapsing vacuum lines to turbo accumulators, no help. 3rd time, had to take foreman for a drive and they opened a ticket to have BMW cover carbon deposits on intake valves walnut blasted under CPO. That was the fix.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

And what was your mileage roughly when you ended up having the valves cleaned?

So this valve cleaning, is it something people do proactively at a certain mileage, or wait for symptoms, like mine, or even wait til you get a check engine light first, then do it?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Members

Roughly 70k. I am planning on paying to have mine done again around 110k miles again unless symptoms reappear. My local dealer is just under $500 for it including new gaskets. I have seen others at lower mileage with excessive carbon deposits on e90post. Not saying its your problem, but something to investigate. Maybe your dealer can borescope it?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

Well sir, you may have been bang on!

Today I went in for the vibrations, and they said it wasn't the fuel injectors in their opinion, but rather the spark plugs and carbon buildup! So I got a fresh set of plugs, plus a walnut blasting to boot, and we'll see how she does in the next few days. Hope that's it!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Members

Good news, hope it works out for you. I'm now at 92k miles, and I'm starting to feel the hesitation back again. Pretty disappointed that the blasting only gets me less than 30k before the buildup returns. I'll have to explore getting my own media blaster!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Our car has only got 30,000 miles on it right now. The tech said it happens more you drive lots of short city trips, which is most of what we do, so I guess I have that to look forward to in a few years again.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Another Update from me: Very little difference after the walnut shell blasting... So I'm booked again for next week, but without codes, wondering what they'll do... Coils I hadn't thought of and someone else said that's what he changed, and fixed his issues. I'll mention it to them too.

Quick Reply: Vibrations when starting cold engine - 2010 535ix