E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Very lazy until 2.500rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

It happened just a while ago, been driving over 200Km/h, then did some city driving, then parked for shopping, went back, started and suddenly felt like can't accelerate.. until 2.500rpm where everything is as it should be (strong kick and revs running higher)..
I also took off sprint booster (which of course has no affiliation with this kind of behavior) just to make sure but it just doesn't drive as before.
I guess the small turbo is gone, what do you think?

I still got only 70.000Km long range miles and it is well taken care of so the car is practically unused..
Old 08-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Had v similar symptoms - so long as you've had no smoke or odd noises it could be a very simple fix. In my case it was one of the vacuum lines that's part of the waste gate control and exhaust distribution system - it had cracked. 1 metre of vacuum line later and it was sorted. You can see the various lines on the exhaust side of the engine if you remove the engine cover (5 or 6 5mm hex head bolts).
Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by phelix
Had v similar symptoms - so long as you've had no smoke or odd noises it could be a very simple fix. In my case it was one of the vacuum lines that's part of the waste gate control and exhaust distribution system - it had cracked. 1 metre of vacuum line later and it was sorted. You can see the various lines on the exhaust side of the engine if you remove the engine cover (5 or 6 5mm hex head bolts).
Thanks for the quick reply, you are my savior I'll check that ASAP.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by hondik
Thanks for the quick reply, you are my savior I'll check that ASAP.
If it's not the vacuum lines, check this:DPF

Your symptoms are exactly like I had. Could be something else too though...

- Antti -
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin
If it's not the vacuum lines, check this:DPF

Your symptoms are exactly like I had. Could be something else too though...

- Antti -
Aha, thanks very much.. interesting and useful thread - didn't know you can DIY You are a very handy BMWman
Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Contributors

I came from the service today and it is the vacuum piping .. :-) which means it is quite an easy fix
Surprisingly :-) it looks like another design flaw of the 535d - these pipes lead of course very close to the exhaust system which means they've gotten hard over the years due to the heat and need to be replaced.