E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Upgraded: Audio and a towhitch !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 520dT LCI, titansilver, advantagepack, comfortpack, coldclimatepack, 242-rims, black Daytona leather, chrome line, grey highgloss int. Retrofit:Brink towhitch. Upgraded audio: Audio-System Xion 200(4"mids, highs and 8"underseatsubs), JBL GTO 427´s in the ceiling and JL-Audio A4300 amp. For the dark & snowy season: Nokian Hakka 5 studded, Hella 3003 Compact auxilary lights. 1999 523i, Oxfordgreen, Sandbeige leather interior, style 89-rims, HiFI pro DSP, Xenon, PDC, ACC, double glazing, removable tow hitch, cold climate pack, wood trim, cruise control, armrest front, Steering wheel heating, Lumbar support. Previously owned BMWs: 1999 528iA E39 1990 735 iA E32

Originally Posted by rugger' post='656042' date='Aug 28 2008, 07:10 AM
I know that is why I am so curious...what was the name of the company that did you hook?
Here?s his add:

http://www.blocket.se/vi/8048053.htm?ca=4_s

Took him under two hours to complete the install from start to finish.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 Platinum Grey 2008 520d-Grey Dakota Leather/PDC/Xenon/Climate function/Arm Rest/Cruise Control/Skisack/Alarm/Roof Rails/Cup Holder/Automatic Transmission/Isofix/Sport Steering Wheel/Factory Tinted Rear Windows/Summer tires Michelin on 242's/Winter tires Nokian HKPL XL on 242's

Sweet! Thanks for the tip and link...
Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by svesam' post='653192' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:33 PM
Hi all,

Two upgrades made. Towhitch and some audio.

After a lot of hazzle with audio upgrade it?s finally complete.
Didn?t turn out half bad actually.

An Audio-System Xion 200 kit(4" mids, tweeters and 8" subs) found it?s way in up front
(thanx to Bruce_miranda for the DIY on swapping subs)
and a pair of JBL GTO 427?s in the ceiling.
Powerplant JL-Audio A4300.

Initally I planned on powering the subs and frontkit with the amp
but after several tries I just couldn?t get rid of the interference.
I ended up powering the subs with the amp the mids and highs and ceiling speakers
run of the HU.
Result:
- Enough bass for everyday listening but not groundshaking... (if or when I want groundshaking I have a bridgeable channel on the amp available.
Throw in a bassbin hook it up, boom you?re done...)
- Really sweet highs from the tweeters and the JBL?s
- Lacking mids. The HU gives you a little muddy mids, on moderate listening levels it?s good enough.
But when you crank it all the way up the mid drowns in all the bass and highs.

But hey, it?s not a high end system so I didn?t expect it to sound like one.
It?s waaaaaay better than standard though

The towhitch then?!
Well it?s a tow no more no less...

cheers
//Daniel
hi daniel

if i got i right, you upgraded a hifi system to something "better" - correct?
i'm not really satisfied with the hifi system installed in my car, especially volume. i can turn it up to 100%, and it's still not really loud. if i go on the highway, volume falls behind even more. even my wife rarely complains about volume being to loud
is there a chance that volume will raise with your mod?

afaik only the 20cm subs are driven by the mini-sub in the trunk. door speakers are driven by the hu. is there a way to remove this limiting factor?

questions over questions - i hope someone can answer them

regards izeman
Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by izeman' post='698840' date='Oct 21 2008, 05:11 PM
hi daniel

if i got i right, you upgraded a hifi system to something "better" - correct?
i'm not really satisfied with the hifi system installed in my car, especially volume. i can turn it up to 100%, and it's still not really loud. if i go on the highway, volume falls behind even more. even my wife rarely complains about volume being to loud
is there a chance that volume will raise with your mod?

afaik only the 20cm subs are driven by the mini-sub in the trunk. door speakers are driven by the hu. is there a way to remove this limiting factor?

questions over questions - i hope someone can answer them

regards izeman
Hi Izeman,

In my car the volume has increased plenty. I mounted the Eartquake SWS-8's on a four channel MTX amp (had that one sitting in the garage for years...) and added RF tweeters (keeping the original mids) on the HU.

It's not high end, but a simple mod for a reasonable price. IMHO it sound better than the OEM hifi speaker system (option 676).
Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='698975' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Izeman,

In my car the volume has increased plenty. I mounted the Eartquake SWS-8's on a four channel MTX amp (had that one sitting in the garage for years...) and added RF tweeters (keeping the original mids) on the HU.

It's not high end, but a simple mod for a reasonable price. IMHO it sound better than the OEM hifi speaker system (option 676).
thanks lw78
sounds good. may i ask one more question: are you able to turn the volume knob as far as you like without gaining any more volume (some kind of maximum volume/output limit of the hu)? this is disturbing ... in all my other cars you could turn up volume higher and higher, leading to higher volume, and if you overdid it to distortion of the speakers and bad sound. not so with my bmw. there is a limit with moderate volume you can't pass ?!?!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by izeman' post='699767' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:38 AM
thanks lw78
sounds good. may i ask one more question: are you able to turn the volume knob as far as you like without gaining any more volume (some kind of maximum volume/output limit of the hu)? this is disturbing ... in all my other cars you could turn up volume higher and higher, leading to higher volume, and if you overdid it to distortion of the speakers and bad sound. not so with my bmw. there is a limit with moderate volume you can't pass ?!?!
I know what you mean!

It now has enough volume, so that it isn't irritating anymore..... but if you want the best upgrade, you better mount an amp on all your speakers. The Blaupunkt 5 channel would be the best option i.c.w. the SWS-8's and a good 10cm compo in front.

On the other hand, my set-up would be the cheapest option (because I already had the 4 channel amp)!

FYI I have the standard set-up (so no hifi / option 676)
Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='699787' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:15 AM
I know what you mean!

It now has enough volume, so that it isn't irritating anymore..... but if you want the best upgrade, you better mount an amp on all your speakers. The Blaupunkt 5 channel would be the best option i.c.w. the SWS-8's and a good 10cm compo in front.

On the other hand, my set-up would be the cheapest option (because I already had the 4 channel amp)!

FYI I have the standard set-up (so no hifi / option 676)
there is this baby amp in the trunk. afaik it only fires the subs (which don't deserve that description .
how would i connect a 4channel amp to all speakers (front would be enough for me)?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

I have no experience with the hifi option with the OEM 'amplifier'. Use the search engine to search for posts of Bruce Miranda. He has a great write up on this subject!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 520dT LCI, titansilver, advantagepack, comfortpack, coldclimatepack, 242-rims, black Daytona leather, chrome line, grey highgloss int. Retrofit:Brink towhitch. Upgraded audio: Audio-System Xion 200(4"mids, highs and 8"underseatsubs), JBL GTO 427´s in the ceiling and JL-Audio A4300 amp. For the dark & snowy season: Nokian Hakka 5 studded, Hella 3003 Compact auxilary lights. 1999 523i, Oxfordgreen, Sandbeige leather interior, style 89-rims, HiFI pro DSP, Xenon, PDC, ACC, double glazing, removable tow hitch, cold climate pack, wood trim, cruise control, armrest front, Steering wheel heating, Lumbar support. Previously owned BMWs: 1999 528iA E39 1990 735 iA E32

+1

Bruces DIY is perfect!!

Cheers
Daniel

Originally Posted by LW78' post='699921' date='Oct 22 2008, 04:56 PM
I have no experience with the hifi option with the OEM 'amplifier'. Use the search engine to search for posts of Bruce Miranda. He has a great write up on this subject!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by svesam' post='702100' date='Oct 24 2008, 08:07 AM
+1

Bruces DIY is perfect!!

Cheers
Daniel
Please tell us about your hitch?

Quick Reply: Upgraded: Audio and a towhitch !!