E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Upgrade Standard Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a topic that has been raised a number of times, but I couldn't seem to find a direct answer for my stereo...Hoping someone can help

I have a 04 530D with the standard business stereo/speakers. I have had a parrot mk19000 fitted for phone and ipod, which does the job, but find the overall stereo quality poor (it appears I am not the only one). I upgraded the speakers etc... on my old e39 which was simple enough, but clearly this is alot more complex.

All I want is a bit more clarity and bass, without replaceing the head unit and faffing around with too much wiring. Ultimately I was planning to install some tweeters (logic 7?) and upgrade the subs to 8" earthquakes, but cant help thinking this would be pointless without installing an after market amp.

Can anyone advise what the easiest way would be/which amp/how to install...!

Many thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 530xi sw

Where are the sub-woofers? are they under the front seats?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Members

yep, then two speakers in front doors (no tweeters) and 2 rear.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Members

Hi,

I would suggest upgrading the stereo in the following stages:

1. Logic 7 tweeters
2. Amp (s)
3. Earthquake subs
4. Logic 7 mids

Having done all of the above in my E61, number 1. made 80% of the differnce and is a very easy hour's work. Doing all four creates a great sound system, but at a cost and quite a lot work if you do it neatly. I used Blaupunkt pnp amps for both the mids and subs mounted under the front seats. Ends up very neat and without cutting into any factory cables, but not sure these are still available. No point at all upgrading mid and sub speakers without an amp since the factory head unit won't drive them properly.

Tweeters are a complete no-brainer and worth every penny of the £70 they cost. The rest depends on how much you like your music. Having said that, I'm really pleased I did everything.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D Touring E61

Hi, what sort of job was it to fit the Tweeters. Do they go in the front upper part of the door where there should be some, but there isn't?
Cheers
Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

Hi Muppet_Man,
You have to take the door cards off, but this is the most difficult bit. The tweeters clip into the vacant hole for them in upper corner of the door and they plug into the socket on the existing speakers. Takes about an hour to do both. There are DIY's here if you do a search.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Members

Sorry, been away. Thanks for the advice, I think I will certainly start with the tweeters then work down slowly...

I have a parrot ipod/bluetooth fitted so wonderd where best place to take source from if I added amp to subs/mids? (no factory amp fitted). I was told that the wiring is in the footwell (side) of the front passenger? Does that sound correct?

thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Originally Posted by dieseltouring
Hi,

I would suggest upgrading the stereo in the following stages:

1. Logic 7 tweeters
2. Amp (s)
3. Earthquake subs
4. Logic 7 mids

Having done all of the above in my E61, number 1. made 80% of the differnce and is a very easy hour's work. Doing all four creates a great sound system, but at a cost and quite a lot work if you do it neatly. I used Blaupunkt pnp amps for both the mids and subs mounted under the front seats. Ends up very neat and without cutting into any factory cables, but not sure these are still available. No point at all upgrading mid and sub speakers without an amp since the factory head unit won't drive them properly.

Tweeters are a complete no-brainer and worth every penny of the £70 they cost. The rest depends on how much you like your music. Having said that, I'm really pleased I did everything.
Hi Dieseltouring
Did you add tweeters front and rear or front only? Also do you have the part numbers? I can find Tweeter Hi-Fi, Tweeter Top Hi-Fi and Tweeter Individual, but no reference to Logic 7. If I had to guess it would be the Top Hi-Fi, but would value your input.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Also wondering whether anyone have bothered replacing the cheap speakers in the rear headliner, above the trunk? Perhaps it doesn't make much sense to focus on the units located that far away from the driver?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 530D Msport 260@600

Here is my update:

Dension Gateway 500 (iphone adapter)
Audison 5-Channel amp
2x 8" Rainbow under seat
DLS 4" in front doors.. Sounds great

http://puerco.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Autoja+..._hifistely%E4/