E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Trailer hitch - to remove or not, prior to sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon, everyone.

I'm about to sell my '07 530XiT. With regrets, but its time to move on.

I installed a Witter hitch system from new, the one with the completely removeable swan-neck ball (this one), and towed a small motorcycle trailer (total weight about 1100lbs with motorcycle) perfectly happily for several thousand miles. The total installed cost (hitch system, various bits and peiced for wiring, freight and a mechanic to install it) meabnt it all cost about $1350. That was FAR more than I had intended or expected, but you know how it goes - once you start down a certain road...

The question is - as I'm trading in the car, I have a couple of choices: Either remove the hitch system and sell it (probably on this site) or just leave it on the vehicle. The receiving dealer doesn't care one way or the other, and but obviously there's no point in paying a mechanic more, or even vaguely close to, what I can sell the hitch for.

The only downside is that the ball end is 50mm whereas a 2" receiver is expecting to take in a 49mm ball (40 thou difference which hasn't been an issue).

Thought, comments or suggestions, anyone?

Alex
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Alexol
Good afternoon, everyone.

I'm about to sell my '07 530XiT. With regrets, but its time to move on.

I installed a Witter hitch system from new, the one with the completely removeable swan-neck ball (this one), and towed a small motorcycle trailer (total weight about 1100lbs with motorcycle) perfectly happily for several thousand miles. The total installed cost (hitch system, various bits and peiced for wiring, freight and a mechanic to install it) meabnt it all cost about $1350. That was FAR more than I had intended or expected, but you know how it goes - once you start down a certain road...

The question is - as I'm trading in the car, I have a couple of choices: Either remove the hitch system and sell it (probably on this site) or just leave it on the vehicle. The receiving dealer doesn't care one way or the other, and but obviously there's no point in paying a mechanic more, or even vaguely close to, what I can sell the hitch for.

The only downside is that the ball end is 50mm whereas a 2" receiver is expecting to take in a 49mm ball (40 thou difference which hasn't been an issue).

Thought, comments or suggestions, anyone?

Alex

Alex,

I am looking for an '06 or '07 530XiT - and a hitch would be a nice bonus. Have you already traded yours in?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PureRockFury
Alex,

I am looking for an '06 or '07 530XiT - and a hitch would be a nice bonus. Have you already traded yours in?

Unfortunately, yes, it has gone - a shame as it would have been a great car for you, especilly with 6 motnths of BMW warranty remaining.

I'm really sorry to see it gone. Ah well...

Alex