E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Thinking of changing to a touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='708404' date='Oct 31 2008, 05:32 AM
I am also investigating the option to replace my company car with a private car -- basically just doing some number crunching to see if I could still have a similar car and save some money. So I have also seen that 525d and 530d prices are very similar on the second hand market. I was under the impression that the 530d was significantly more expensive to tax & insure, because of engine size and the fact its regarded by many insurance companies as a "sports / high performance" car Have you checked this out yet??

Obviously you want more. Like yourself, I am just trying to work out if the "more" is really worth the extra money and if I would really be able to make the most of it. Its those usual car buying mind games at work

cheers,
Pete
I love my 535Xi T it handles real nice and goes like the wind.
When you get behind the wheel you totally forget its a wagon.
It the States wagons are not cool and most people drive SUV however the T is much nicer than my old X5.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 AM
Members

I've had both a Saloon and a touring.
My 530d saloon was bought new in September 2003 (one of the first E60s in the UK) and I kept it for 3 years. Loved it especially given it was both my first diesel and auto.
Changed it for a new Audi RS4 saloon. V fast but awful mpg (5!! around town)
Expanding family and wife moaning re fuel costs (250 mile range on a full tank isn't great though) prompted me to try and buy a new 520d M Sport Touring in June this year.
So far, love it and surprisingly I don't miss the performance, especially given the 650 mile range. Specd lot of 'toys' as well; media/visibility pack, individual hifi DAB iPod connection etc etc, the sound from the stereo is terrific.
It's comfortable (wife couldn't get on with bucket seats in RS4) spacious, relaxing to drive and I think especially in Sport guise much better looking than the saloon.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='708396' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:07 AM
This is turning out to be one very expensive dog...
You are not wrong there!
I have been quoted in the region of ?6k to change!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='708404' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:32 AM
I am also investigating the option to replace my company car with a private car -- basically just doing some number crunching to see if I could still have a similar car and save some money. So I have also seen that 525d and 530d prices are very similar on the second hand market. I was under the impression that the 530d was significantly more expensive to tax & insure, because of engine size and the fact its regarded by many insurance companies as a "sports / high performance" car Have you checked this out yet??

Obviously you want more. Like yourself, I am just trying to work out if the "more" is really worth the extra money and if I would really be able to make the most of it. Its those usual car buying mind games at work

cheers,
Pete
Mine is a company car so I will have to pay the cost to change it out of my own pocket.

Insurance is therefore not a concern.

I know about the mind games...if i could find a 535d that the dealer can't shift and gave me a great pX...yeah right, live in hope though!

Regards,

David.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dociain' post='708573' date='Oct 31 2008, 04:52 PM
I've had both a Saloon and a touring.
My 530d saloon was bought new in September 2003 (one of the first E60s in the UK) and I kept it for 3 years. Loved it especially given it was both my first diesel and auto.
Changed it for a new Audi RS4 saloon. V fast but awful mpg (5!! around town)
Expanding family and wife moaning re fuel costs (250 mile range on a full tank isn't great though) prompted me to try and buy a new 520d M Sport Touring in June this year.
So far, love it and surprisingly I don't miss the performance, especially given the 650 mile range. Specd lot of 'toys' as well; media/visibility pack, individual hifi DAB iPod connection etc etc, the sound from the stereo is terrific.
It's comfortable (wife couldn't get on with bucket seats in RS4) spacious, relaxing to drive and I think especially in Sport guise much better looking than the saloon.
Yes I really must get a test drive in a 177hp 520d to give it a fair chance. Mind you most dealer stock of the 520d seems to be newer and therefore not much cheaper than a 525d/530d -used car prices from BMW dealers are strange!

Regards,
Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I have been looking into this more myself and found out that with the exception on fuel, the 530i is cheaper to run; tax, insurance and (according to some people on German forums )the servicing too.

Like you David, mine would be linked to a company car policy, so even it was a private car, I could still have a fuel card I obviously need to take a 530d (218ps) and 530i (231ps) out for a test drive to see which one I would prefer.

In your first post, you mentioned that you were also considering the 530i. I read in tests / forums that it is a great engine, however most verdicts tend to conclude that the 530d is still the better choice because of the torque (and fuel economy of course).

What are the thoughts here about the 530i vs 530d, but NOT including the fuel economy discussion...
Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='710013' date='Nov 2 2008, 02:59 PM
In your first post, you mentioned that you were also considering the 530i. I read in tests / forums that it is a great engine, however most verdicts tend to conclude that the 530d is still the better choice because of the torque (and fuel economy of course).

What are the thoughts here about the 530i vs 530d, but NOT including the fuel economy discussion...
With the fuel costs here in the UK, the 530i (272hp) will cost the same per mile as the 530d (235hp) if you jsut look at the cost of fuel.

The better fuel consumption of the 530d is offset by the fact that diesel is around 10% more expensive than petrol.

My biggest problem is finding a year old 530i as they seem to be outnumbered by 530d to the tune of 100:1

Regards,
Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Same as over here; the 530d far outnumbers the 530i. I have however found an E60 M-Sport Carbon Black 530i manual 235ps with lots of toys. Not sure about going back to a manual gear box in a 5er though. The manual bugged me in the end with my 520d, but then again thats a VERY different engine to a 235ps petro 6cyl! I will obviously have to go for a test drive to see if I could live with a manual again Otherwise my short list has an E60 M-Sport 530d manual or an E61 M-sport 530d Auto. So I guess I am struggling with similar mind games to your self

But would you go for a 530i instead of the 530d if it were available? 'I.e. going back to petrol car after driving the diesel with all its torque??
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Contributors

i testdrove a petrol engine the other day - my testdrive was over after 7 mins. After 9 years of driving with a diesel, i just expect a kick as of 1500 revs. The only petrol engine i would take is a TSI from VW - the engines are combined with a turbo and compressor - oh sexy thing - torque in low revs, as well as power in high revs - all this at fantastic consumption numbers...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Contributors

I've driven 6cyl petrol BMs in the past, but in a M-Roadster, a Z4 and in an E39 520i. So very mixed experiences and I'll be interested to see how this compares to the E60 530i...

Not to completely steal David's post ... I'll also be test driving a 530dA Touring in the near future. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference the extra weight makes to the handling and performance in general. You rsyed swapped between E60s and E61s, did you find much of a difference in handling and performance??

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing to a touring