E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate hydraulic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 02:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e61 530d xdrive
Default Tailgate hydraulic

Hello everybody
I'm new here and I have problem with my car tailgate hydraulic.
Problem is I can't find hydraulic device on left side in trunk.
Maybe there is another technology on my model I don't know.
I have e61 2009 530 d xdrive.
I have on backdoor button for closing door.
If someone can help me to fix my automatic door work again that will be great.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:19 AM
New Members

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Hi, a search will show you plenty of posts about how people have fixed these. A previous owner of my car removed the pump and hydraulic arm and converted to manual so I bought used parts and got it working again, in part due to the posts I searched for.

The HkL module is located under the spare tire unless it has been moved to the left side. I believe it is a small white box.

there isn’t much to it beyond that. Behind the amp in the rear left there is a pump with two hydraulic lines going through the roof to the arm. There is also a little wire for a position sensor that is attached to the side of the hydraulic arm. I ordered some airplane hydraulic fluid online as others had suggested for refilling it.

Do you hear anything at all when you press the button? The common issue most people have is they are low on fluid, was a bit more complex for me. TopHydraulics rebuilds these pumps and they also have a handy PDF showing how to remove the pump.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e61 530d xdrive

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Hi, a search will show you plenty of posts about how people have fixed these. A previous owner of my car removed the pump and hydraulic arm and converted to manual so I bought used parts and got it working again, in part due to the posts I searched for.

The HkL module is located under the spare tire unless it has been moved to the left side. I believe it is a small white box.

there isn’t much to it beyond that. Behind the amp in the rear left there is a pump with two hydraulic lines going through the roof to the arm. There is also a little wire for a position sensor that is attached to the side of the hydraulic arm. I ordered some airplane hydraulic fluid online as others had suggested for refilling it.

Do you hear anything at all when you press the button? The common issue most people have is they are low on fluid, was a bit more complex for me. TopHydraulics rebuilds these pumps and they also have a handy PDF showing how to remove the pump.
I don't hear exactly nothing. I guess all installation is removed. But I will check again.
Thank you for answering
Old 01-29-2020, 03:17 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

This goes over it well. It's in Vietnamese but the video is all you need.
The following users liked this post:
thedoodwitamullet (08-06-2021)