E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate glass opens while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off and on we've had problems with the tailgate glass having a mind of it's own and open by itself even while driving. We've had it looked at by various dealerships and they all claim to have fixed the problem. However, since this is an intermittened problem it's difficult to say if they truly fixed it or not. Well this week the glass started acting up again. Does the tailgate wiring harness control the glass portion of the tailgate? AFAIK the tailgate wiring harness hasn't been replaced on our car. Or is it a defective microswitch?

Thanks,
-MarcW
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by marcw' post='1077714' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:55 PM
Off and on we've had problems with the tailgate glass having a mind of it's own and open by itself even while driving. We've had it looked at by various dealerships and they all claim to have fixed the problem. However, since this is an intermittened problem it's difficult to say if they truly fixed it or not. Well this week the glass started acting up again. Does the tailgate wiring harness control the glass portion of the tailgate? AFAIK the tailgate wiring harness hasn't been replaced on our car. Or is it a defective microswitch?

Thanks,
-MarcW
I had the same problem although not while driving, the parcel shelf would also unlock and fly up as well. Mine turned out to be the tailgate control module and was replaced under warranty.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Sytner said it was a very common problem and changed rear window pushbutton for ?107.85. For a while it was OK.

Then it started again. Next time Sytner changed the rear screen wiper motor / central locking motor for ?263.80. Now OK.

Luckily I had second hand AA 3 year warranty so it was paid.

Make sure rear wiper is free to rotate. At one stage mine had seized due to lack of lubrication. It needs checking regulary.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Members

Maybe a wireing harness problem, especially if ittermintent.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Members

Well my wife took it to the dealer yet again. They haven't fixed it yet as they had to order a part from Germany. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Members

Angry

Originally Posted by marcw' post='1081102' date='Dec 29 2009, 06:01 AM
Well my wife took it to the dealer yet again. They haven't fixed it yet as they had to order a part from Germany. Ill keep you guys posted.
Hi
My 2 year old 520 D M has just started to exhibit the same problem. Could it be the cold or damp problems after the thaw, it had been standing for 10 days over the Christmas break with upto 8" of snow. will be heading for the dealer next week but it is a problem I would like to get a better handle on as I always prefer to be in the driving seat when raising issues. Have had a quick look to see if any leaks but nothing obvious. Another thought could it be 'fixed' by a reset with temporary battery disconnect?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

My car developed this problem today so I'd love to hear if you found a solution to it. I'd imagine it would involve a reset, rather than parts replacement, although most BMW dealers probably wouldn't tell you that!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
My car developed this problem today so I'd love to hear if you found a solution to it. I'd imagine it would involve a reset, rather than parts replacement, although most BMW dealers probably wouldn't tell you that!
My 535d is booked in on Monday for exactly the same issue. The iDrive also complained about battery drain this morning.. Hopefully it's all related.

I am betting the cold weather is not helping..

RM
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 AM
New Members

Did you ever get this sorted out and find out why.....?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 AM
New Members

Yes I too have the same problem until i fix it my only option has been to get into the car and before starting press the "central locking button". in addition i have an Alarm saying "increased battery discharge" and please set "time and date". Another interesting option has been noticed that if i set via the I Crash button to quickly I get a very interesting message "All Driver Aids Disabled, please drive responsibly" on the dash the ABS and DTS light up.

Quick Reply: Tailgate glass opens while driving