E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tail light replacement options? Help from European cousins!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

I might need to replace a right tail light and was thinking of upgrading newer/LCI rears in the process can someone confirm if these are oem or oem equivalent?

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-5-Touring-E61-Ruckleuchte-Links-ausen-LED-ab-04-07-/380299937755?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item588ba487db
Found this on German eBay site just not quite sure about authenticity???

Any help on this item or any other options would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Hi Spartan335i
The picture appears to show the LCI light, someone with a better knowledge of German may be able interpret the text for you. Assuming they are the LCI lights you would also need locate a pair of tailgate lights to match plus buy a set of Bruce Miranda's cables to enable them to work correctly. Its not a cheap mod but does look good when done. If you follow My link, it shows how its done plus a furhter link to ArneR's excellent DIY.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Thanks for the info! Seems oem LCI light indeed.

I'm willling to spend the extra to replace all to LCI as I also found a set of headlights to compliment the rears!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Spartan335i
Thanks for the info! Seems oem LCI light indeed.

I'm willling to spend the extra to replace all to LCI as I also found a set of headlights to compliment the rears!
spartan, a wor of caution: for the headlights you will also need a new LCM module, which is expensive, and coding to make it work on your car.
the tail lights are plug & play with Bruce's cables, but the headlights are a much more complicated mod
there are threads on this forum though, just use the search function and you will find all info needed
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 08/2005 (218hp/500nm)

Hi,

I have translated the text using primarily google translate but I have rewritten some of the stuff due to it being a bit wrongly translated. I'm not German but I do speak german

Anyway, I hope this helps out. Let me know if theres something I need to elaborate further.

br.

Michael

Text:

BMW 5 Touring E61 LED tail light left - BMW ORIGINAL PARTS!

Complete with tail light bulb holder and all lamps!

Suitable for:

BMW 5 Touring (E61) from 04/2007

and for retrofitting to BMW 5 Touring (E61) from build year.06/2004

New and original packed tail light, original HELLA tail light - so you get original BMW parts!

Forget the cheap tail lights from the fareast of the brand "DEPO", where the taillight gets filled up with water the first time you take it to a carwash - with our original products, you are always secure on the road!
Put on the original and the quality you trust! (almost like how yoda speaks lol)

Installation is very simple and and possible to fit for anyone.

Shipping: Shipping via insured.

Shipping immediately after payment!

Copyright Notice!

These pages are protected by international copyright laws.

You may not be copied and / or for commercial purposes, completely or partially) be utilized / (.

This is for photos / pictures and text / description.

Any breach will be prosecuted immediately!

Have fun!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

Be aware guys. My German isn't all that great but from what I understand of it is that he only sells the left outer lamp. So it's not a complete set of lights!

What you need is something like http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-E61-LCI-LED-TOURING-FACELIFT-RUCKLEUCHTEN-SET-M5-/200413680349?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item2ea99612dd :

This is a complete set of taillights with adaptercables to make them work on a non-LCI E61. You can also get a complete set of lights from this seller without the cables and order the cables from Bruce on these forums.

Only the taillights without cables you can find http://cgi.ebay.de/ORIG-BMW-E61-LCI-LED-TOURING-FACELIFT-RUCKLEUCHTEN-M5-/200413680563?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item2ea99613b3 .
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle
Be aware guys. My German isn't all that great but from what I understand of it is that he only sells the left outer lamp. So it's not a complete set of lights!
He sells them separately in other 'auctions', left & right, inner & outer units. Has been selling them for years this way and seems reputable going by his feedback.

What you need is something like this :

This is a complete set of taillights with adaptercables to make them work on a non-LCI E61. You can also get a complete set of lights from this seller without the cables and order the cables from Bruce on these forums.

Only the taillights without cables you can find here .
These are Bruces cables he once confirmed in another thread, it's a reseller.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Contributors

Hello all,

Thank you for the replies and th links provided by all.

I also found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories as conversion cables.

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

I see two problems with those cables in the link you posted.

First I think these are the OEM cables, wich means you also need the lightmodule, headlights and coding at BMW to make them work. The other ones in my link (Bruce's cables) don't need another lightmodule or coding to make them work. They are specially designed to make LCI taillights work with your excisting lightmodule without coding.

Second problem, they seem to be for an E60. I'm not sure but I think cables for a E60 and an E61 are not compatible.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Contributors

I see two problems with those cables in the link you posted.

First I think these are the OEM cables, wich means you also need the lightmodule, headlights and coding at BMW to make them work. The other ones in my link (Bruce's cables) don't need another lightmodule or coding to make them work. They are specially designed to make LCI taillights work with your excisting lightmodule without coding.

Second problem, they seem to be for an E60. I'm not sure but I think cables for a E60 and an E61 are not compatible.
You are correct! I think my vacation next week is needed as I am very tired and not noticing obvious details!