E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Switching headlights for driving on other side.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

In my old TT, there used to be a switch by the headlights that would enable you to switch them over for (in my case) driving on the right instead of the left.

I don't have my User Manual to hand, and I couldn't find a topic by seraching here or googling it.

Just wondered if it can be done as I don't want to have to get those sticky things you put on the lamps.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Hi Kell
You can do this switch thing if you have Xenon head lamps. If you do then there is a round plastic screw/knob (diameter +/- 3 cm) on top of the light units when you open the bonnet which you have to take off and under there is a switch with a spring. switching it to the other side will "disable" the reflectors which normally give you more light spread on the left side of the road (in the UK). So basically now you'll have less light on that side (if this makes any sense). This will avoid blinding oncomming traffic on the mainland.
If you don't have Xenon then perhaps those stickers help. Don't have experience with those though.
I do know that on my Alfa Romeo they didn't work at all.
Good luck

Originally Posted by Kell' post='1092762' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:18 AM
In my old TT, there used to be a switch by the headlights that would enable you to switch them over for (in my case) driving on the right instead of the left.

I don't have my User Manual to hand, and I couldn't find a topic by seraching here or googling it.

Just wondered if it can be done as I don't want to have to get those sticky things you put on the lamps.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

That's great to know, thanks for the info

Every time I go to the UK I get flashed the whole time as my Xenons blind oncoming traffic, but I always assumed there was nothing I could do about it. So this means that next time when I'm blinding people in the UK with my Xenons, I know I could have done something to prevent it (- Just kidding!!!!)
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I don't have Xenons unfortunately. Which brings me on to another point - my lights are proper rubbish. I really cannot see well at all with them. In fact they're so bad, I asked the dealer to cheack if they were aligned correctly as I was convinced they were pointing too far down. They say they're OK though.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Perhaps you can adjust them yourself so they point further away for more vision. I've done this with older cars.
Simply park in front of a garage door or wall. Then with a screw driver adjust the screw which moves the light beam up and down to more up. As long as you do the same for the other side it should work. But as said not sure how this works with a modern car like the E60. I'd assume the same?
Good luck.

Originally Posted by Kell' post='1092906' date='Jan 18 2010, 01:18 PM
I don't have Xenons unfortunately. Which brings me on to another point - my lights are proper rubbish. I really cannot see well at all with them. In fact they're so bad, I asked the dealer to cheack if they were aligned correctly as I was convinced they were pointing too far down. They say they're OK though.