E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sunroof motor - any idea what this noise means?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof motor - any idea what this noise means?

Hi

I have a 2004 E61 Touring and recently had the seemingly common problem with the panoramic sunroof refusing to close from the tilt position.
I finally managed to manually wind the sunroof closed, this took a lot of force using a hex head on my ratchet wrench after first pushing the sunroof carriages backwards (as recommended on a number of forums). The sunroof now opens and closes if done manually using the hex. Just as I closed the sunroof the 'sunroof anti-trap' error message popped up - no problem I thought I'll just re-initalise the sunroof...that's when the noise started!

I have made a short video clip of me trying to re-intiialise the sunroof and the noise that comes from the sunroof motor when I do this.

It sounds like the motor is going around but not correctly connecting with the cable. I've taken the motor out and tried to reposition it differently, but no joy. The teeth on the motor wheel also look fine, just a bit of fluff on them.

I was wondering if anyone knew what this means? Did I force it too hard when I manually closed the roof and have now broken the motor?

Any help gratefully received!