E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Strange shaking between 80 and 130 km/h

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a 535D Touring M and i have 19 " M5 wheels fitted.
Before i had the original ones, when going left or right i feel some shaking on my steering wheel.h
But now i feel some strange shaking between 80 and 130 km/h.

I have 80000km , wheels are balanced 2 times ( rims are normal used the dealer said ), car is lined out and still strange shaking.

Please help !!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

you might need new tires , sometimes even in new tires threads give up creating un even surface causing the vibration , drive in slower slower speed and keep it constant at 45 km/h and you can sort of detect from which side the vibration is coming , you only feel at 80kmh-130kmh because you are mostly constant in those speed, speeding up makes it go away too.... Well that was my experience ,
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Members

I have just been to the tyre dealer and he said all 4 tyres are looking fine, no specials marks of shaking or other stuff.

I will renew the rubbers of the arms in the front of the car. That is the only thing or the swaybar nees to be adjusted.

Any suggestion is welcome.

245-35-19
275-30-19
Goodyear Eagle F1 93y
Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Do you have the ability to have your wheels Hunter road-force balanced? I had ongoing vibration problems in my steering wheel, etc. for months and months despite many "regular" wheel balancing and many alignments. I finally had my fronts road-force balanced (where a roller applies force to the surface as it spins to detect imperfections in the tire/wheel), and it turned out that both tires were out-of-round, egg-shaped. They failed the machine's test completely. All the time I had thought it was balance, but it was bad tires. You could see the tread bobbing up and down as they spun.

The vibration at highway speeds around 50-70 mph is almost always a balance or out-of-round tire issue, especially on newer cars without suspension wear. Are these OEM or replica M5 wheels? Hub size issue?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Is it original M5 wheels?
Have you checked them for roundness?
How many miles on the tyres?
Are they RFT?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Sounds like you may have loose fitting wheels - let me explain: Do the wheel centres fit tightly and snugly over the hub's spigot? If not, you might need some spigot rings to correctly centre each wheel on the hub, as the wheel bolts alone will not centre each wheel properly. Best way to check is remove wheel bolts (after jacking up car of course!) and see if you can lift the wheel up and down on the hub to feel for slackness.
It'll only feel like a millimetre or two of movement - but its enough to give you that shaking as each wheel will then be rotating off-centre. You need to check just to rule this one out. And if all four are like this, then you'll find its whole vibration through floor of car too, as well as through steering wheel.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='542214' date='Mar 10 2008, 08:39 AM
Sounds like you may have loose fitting wheels - let me explain: Do the wheel centres fit tightly and snugly over the hub's spigot? If not, you might need some spigot rings to correctly centre each wheel on the hub, as the wheel bolts alone will not centre each wheel properly. Best way to check is remove wheel bolts (after jacking up car of course!) and see if you can lift the wheel up and down on the hub to feel for slackness.
It'll only feel like a millimetre or two of movement - but its enough to give you that shaking as each wheel will then be rotating off-centre. You need to check just to rule this one out. And if all four are like this, then you'll find its whole vibration through floor of car too, as well as through steering wheel.
+1
Had wrong spigot rings and my wheel didn?t "came all the way in" to the hub. Witch gave the same problem as you have.
Changed the spigot rings and the problem was gone
Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Members

Hi,

Thes eare Replica M5 wheels, but if this is the issue, they won't be long on the car.

I will check for the rings and if that doesn't solve it, i will buy OEM m5 wheels.

Thanks for all your info
Old 03-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

I have replica 172s on mine (went for four the same size to suit my Touring), and I encountered the same issue with vibration so I'm fairly confident that this is your trouble. Then you'll have no need to spend big bucks on the OEM wheels as your wheel supplier should then send you the correct size spigot inserts.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Members

what is the size of the rings i need?

thx

Quick Reply: Strange shaking between 80 and 130 km/h