E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

strange electrics

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Yesterday around midday comfort access didn't work so I had to use the remote to unlock the car and open the tailgate. Closed the car up, locked it and walked away - when I walked by 30 minutes later the tailgate glass was open.

Got in the car in the evening and get two error message : high rate of battery discharge and that the date and time needs setting. Can't remember if I used comfort access or not. Started the car and the tailgate glass popped open. Set the clock (date was fine). Stopped for fuel and when I started the car the glass popped open again.

This morning comfort access didn't work again. Unlocked the car and the glass popped open. And the clock needed setting. And then I couldn't open the tailgate glass with the push button under the handle.

No rain to speak of in the last 10 days or so. Any ideas where to start looking? The car is under warranty but if I can throw £50 of parts at the car that are a a straight-forward DIY I would rather do that than have the hassle of dropping it off and having them keep the car for a couple of days.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Members

Sounds like a normal problem with the E61

The wirering for the tail gate, is broken. That would be what I would look into.

Example from here in Denmark : http://mobilteknik.dk/forum/24-monte...agklap-skiftet

Hope you solve it
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

What Holtz said:

Combination of rear window (switch), reception and resets points straight at the tailgate wiring looms.

It is DIY-able, however within warranty:
take it to the dealer, if they screw up it you can confront them later on etc..
Besides they'll have addressed the looms in many, many E61's before so chances are they'll fix it quick and competently.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

If CA isn't working, it could be the diversity module's crapped out under the rear spoiler, I thought? That's what my issue was.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Thanks guys - diversity module or tailgate wiring issues make loads of sense except for the clock needing to be reset.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by phelix
Thanks guys - diversity module or tailgate wiring issues make loads of sense except for the clock needing to be reset.
When the tailgate wiring looms chafe and break up it is not uncommon to cause shorts which could lead to the high battery discharge during 'sleep' and other strange symtoms, reset seems possible.

Of course these all could be unrelated problems, the infamous switch for the tailgate glass, diversity module for comfort access and something like a bad IBS for the battery but if one single common issue very well could cause all these symptoms that might be the first thing to look at in this case.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Senior Members

Well, the car's booked in for 2 days on the 30th - fingers crossed it gets sorted and doesn't leave me in the lurch in the mean time...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Senior Members

Car still at the dealer (2 day stay as planned) and they're saying it was only the switch for the glass portion of the tailgate that is the root cause. Battery charge overnight and testing tomorrow. I remain a polite sceptic that the switch alone could cause all those issues.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

I need to eat me words - a new switch for the glass and all's well again.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phelix
I need to eat me words - a new switch for the glass and all's well again.
Same here, I don't quite understand how the switch can cause all these issues... Short circuit or something?

Glad to see all is OK anyways!

Quick Reply: strange electrics