E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Strange behaviour when driving downhill

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 09:37 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Zamme92
Did you solve the problem?

I have the same issue with my 2010 E61 520i.

Driving on good road with cruise control. Any speed below 90kmh. The car brakes for a second and the economy needle goes high, and then comes back down again.
There is a clue in your post. 'Cruise Control.'

With Dynamic Cruise Control, the car will brake to keep from overspending. If you are on shallow hill, it will feel like a quick pulse. On a steep hill, you may feel the brakes being applied almost continuously.

Worth paying attention to the behavior and watching if the speed is being reduced when this braking happens. It would be a normal function of the cruise control.
At higher speeds, air resistance does not require much more than lifting off the throttle to slow the vehicle on fairly flat roads.

It can be somewhat odd, until you get used to it. Especially if you don't normally use cruise often, tend to forget about it. Took me some time to get used to it, and now I take advantage of it. Will set the cruise on a steep hill and let the car do all the work.

The OP did not mention Cruise Control, which would explain the braking behavior comments.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Originally Posted by Greggo

With Dynamic Cruise Control, the car will brake to keep from overspending. If you are on shallow hill, it will feel like a quick pulse. On a steep hill, you may feel the brakes being applied almost continuously.

Worth paying attention to the behavior and watching if the speed is being reduced when this braking happens. It would be a normal function of the cruise control.
At higher speeds, air resistance does not require much more than lifting off the throttle to slow the vehicle on fairly flat roads.

It can be somewhat odd, until you get used to it. Especially if you don't normally use cruise often, tend to forget about it. Took me some time to get used to it, and now I take advantage of it. Will set the cruise on a steep hill and let the car do all the work.

The OP did not mention Cruise Control, which would explain the braking behavior comments.
Could be cruise control. Easy check is just not to use it for some time! I use it only on highway. When my issue is present i am "in control"
Old 04-02-2024, 08:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 E61 520i

Originally Posted by Greggo

Sad to say.. I have the same problem when "im in control". Feels like the brakes engage for a moment and then its gone. Everyone can feel it in the car.