E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sport Package vs. just 18inch Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How important is the sport package and how much of a difference does it make? Also, has anyone just put on 18inch wheels and what does that do to the ride? I'm thinking of foregoing the sport package and buying a set of BMW 18inch wheels on eBay.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

The sports package gives you a more aggressively looking car and a much firmer (I would call it harsh) ride on the E61 with RFTs.

Difference between 17 and 18 wheels in terms of feel is more marginal.

Like 18' wheels you can also get the sports suspension without having to order the whole sports package. Combined you get the ride of the sports package without its looks for less money.

All depends on what you are looking for.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

I do not know about any specs of a specific sports package but....

I had my 545iT both with 18" AND sportsuspension; IMO It definitely had the looks but ride was bad. In combination with RFT it was too bouncy and hard. Next time I would opt for 17" with sportsuspension as with our current 325i Touring and 130i.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Originally Posted by mhoutman' post='258515' date='Mar 22 2006, 07:39 PM
I do not know about any specs of a specific sports package but....

I had my 545iT both with 18" AND sportsuspension; IMO It definitely had the looks but ride was bad. In combination with RFT it was too bouncy and hard. Next time I would opt for 17" with sportsuspension as with our current 325i Touring and 130i.

Interesting - I would describe my 525iT with 17'' and RFT as being a bit too bouncy and hard as well (albeit at a different level to yours).

So 17'' with NON RFT (less hard) and sports suspension (less bouncy) is the solution
Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Members

In the US, E61 Sports Package is purely cosmetic. There is no sport suspension offered due to AWD and rear self-leveling air suspension. The ride is firmer due to RFT's. Do non-US models offer sport suspension?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

Here in the UK we aren't offered "X" 4wd in any 5 series.
So we can have sports suspension on the E61 and it is of course a standard part of the M-Sport package.
Not going for it myself though.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Contributors

In Canada you can get "sport suspension" or "M Sport Suspension" on the E60, but neither is available on the E61 or any of the 4wds. I have the M sport Suspension with 19" RFTs. On a patch of rough road it can be quite jarring, but more than acceptable on decent roads, and when you push it on some good pavement the handling is incredible, well worth the stiffness. There is virtually no body roll and the car goes exactly where you point it.

Depends what you're into but I would go for the sport suspension (since I don't think M sport is available in US). Just my opinion
Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by Westcoast 550' post='258783' date='Mar 23 2006, 08:56 AM
In Canada you can get "sport suspension" or "M Sport Suspension" on the E60, but neither is available on the E61 or any of the 4wds. I have the M sport Suspension with 19" RFTs. On a patch of rough road it can be quite jarring, but more than acceptable on decent roads, and when you push it on some good pavement the handling is incredible, well worth the stiffness. There is virtually no body roll and the car goes exactly where you point it.

Depends what you're into but I would go for the sport suspension (since I don't think M sport is available in US). Just my opinion
Its interesting that on uk cars if you upgrade to 19's (type 172) the tyres are not run flats. Neither for that matter is the M5 on it's 19's. What type of tyres do you have? I assume your wheel upgrade is also 172's seems odd the put run flats on Canadian 19's and not here in Europe.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Sport suspension is a must on BMWs, I bet you if the designers had to pick one or the other, they would surely pick the sport suspension, I have driven both and it makes a BIG difference, it just doesnt feel like a BMW without. In the U.S. when you get the sport package it includes the active suspension, this is amazing, there is NO body sway around turns, its shocking.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='258594' date='Mar 22 2006, 11:29 PM
Interesting - I would describe my 525iT with 17'' and RFT as being a bit too bouncy and hard as well (albeit at a different level to yours).

So 17'' with NON RFT (less hard) and sports suspension (less bouncy) is the solution
bounce, bouncy, bounciest ....... the best solution would be 16" non RFT's but that doesn't have the looks. On my 130i I now have 17"/RFT's and sportsuspension; much better for me than the 18"

Quick Reply: Sport Package vs. just 18inch Wheels...