E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Something for the E61 drivers' egos

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

As a number of you here in the E61 Forum know, I recently traded in my E61 for an E60... basically I wanted to fulfil my dream of owning a V8 before they become totally outlawed (through taxes) here in Europe!

One of the first things I have noticed, is that my current car gets far fewer looks than my previous E61 did whilst driving around Copenhagen. The E61 was constantly turning heads, especially with the 128 rims on it. I knew it looked great and had a lot of presence on the road, but didn't expect the E61 to be so much more of a head turner than the E60.

I know I'm not telling you anything new here But I thought I'd share that with you guys here in the E61 forum none the less

Any of you find your E61 gets more looks than others or get a lot of looks / comments in general??

Obviously I can't start a post like this without posting some pics, so here you go

My previous E61
Something for the E61 drivers' egos-img_8051.jpg

My previous E60 (- I don't yet have a picture of my new 550i - waiting to fit the M5 Mirrors first )
Something for the E61 drivers' egos-img_0958_a.jpg
Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you say that Pete... my first e60 got some looks, my e61 (with teh same wheels) got no looks, and then my white e60 constantly got looks... basicallyt the opposite to what you feel.. but maybe noone hears your v8 whereas the diesel can be heard from teh neighboring block

btw. if you want some real attention by stopping the traffic on the other side of the road, get yourself a white x6 with 21" ferric gray wheels
Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d Touring

Well, being an owner of an E61, I tend to turn when I see this type of vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I also turn when I see an E60, but I guess that I am more accustomed to turning my head when I see a vehicle like my own.

As far as others turning their head, I can give my two cents... thieves have tried to steal my car twice (with me in it) on the highway - once in Maastrict, once in Belgium. Maybe it's the dark color, combined with the 172 rims, plus the silvery shine around the windows.

Who knows... people turn when they see something they like. Based on my experience, I would be happy if nobody even noticed me. The car is there for me to enjoy, not others I have also noticed that having a vehicle like this causes a hell of a lot of jealousy - I'd rather live without that.

To be frank, I am happy that you are happy with the 550, but I'd be bone jealous if you had another 2 cylinders
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Members

Oh, of course, I forgot the German policeman story...

When I was traveling last July, from Brussels to Goteborg, via Puttgarden (ferry from Puttgarden, Germany to Rodbyhavn, Denmark) I was pulled over right before Puttgarden by a German policeman.

The policeman was utterly professional, but also friendly and talkative. He was in a black Merc station wagon (unmarked police). When all the formalities were over, I confessed to him that I was a bit nervous when he pulled me over, because, on my way there, I had passed through Maastrict, where they had attempted to the car, with me in it, on the highway.

It transpires that he pulled me over cause I had a `nice car with tinted windows` (bling, bling... trafficking in luxurious cars).

I told him that his vehicle (the 320 CDsomething Merc station wagon) was an honourable vehicle - to which he replied:

`Your car is beautiful, I'd trade yours any day with mine.` (his exact words)

Respect to the German police
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

how exactly did they try to steal te car with you in it?

did they try to stop you, or get you out at a traffic light? how did you escape? are they still alive? do you carry their scalps on your shark fin on the roof?

trying to be funny here, but it would be very interesting to know - may be your advice will save some of us in a similar situation, knock on wood..
Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

(we-hey, my first post with the new forum layout )

Interesting to see how different each persons experience is, but it will obvious differ from country to country and city to city. I am pretty concious of having the car I have here in Copenhagen, so being a little more understated is not a bad thing!

I bet a white X6 on 21s gets a few looks Not exactly what you would call understated

Getting stopped by the police is bad enough, but having someone try to steal the car with you in it is bang out of line!! That really is the kind of attention you can be doing with out.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

The strange thing about BMW is that the 'touring' version always looks a lot better and more stylish than the sedan (in my opinion). I don't really need a touring but I always buy them because they look better. I have 3 and 5 touring.

I do find my car turns heads -when clean (Le Man blue, M Sport) When I travel to Germany almost all cars are touring / station wagon, not so many Sedans.

I also drive our other car (VW Touran, privacy glass, 18" low profile wheels) and the difference how I am treated by other road users is amazing, not so aggressive, more friendly, let me pull out of junctions etc.

Just last week someone kicked my parked BMW for no reason so it does seem to be a magnet for dick-heads who want to damage it.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Last year i went skiing in Austria with a friend of mine and we travelled with his E90 in Lemans Blue with M-package all around and 18" wheels.

Well, EVERY F***NG white van driver was cutting us off, gave us trouble at junctions, and did not let us take over, to the extent it was getting really dangerous. I must admit that my friend's driving style was not exactly peacefull at all times, but there just seemed to be a lot of negative attitude coming from the van driver kind of guys on the road. Don't know what it is - jealousy, hatred..? Prbably has something to do with the typical attitude of E90 M-pack drivers too.

I personally have noticed some negative attitude from Audi A4/A3 drivers in Germany. However, in France or Spain - I just love it, when I am in the left lane, as soon as people see the kidneys in the distance behind them, they instantly pull over and make room.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
how exactly did they try to steal te car with you in it?

did they try to stop you, or get you out at a traffic light? how did you escape? are they still alive? do you carry their scalps on your shark fin on the roof?

trying to be funny here, but it would be very interesting to know - may be your advice will save some of us in a similar situation, knock on wood..

First off, I am conscious of the vehicle that I have. This means that I go the extra length re situational awareness - wherever I may be: parked on the street, at a highway rest-place, and so forth.

Second, I am also permanently stuck with my view towards the back of the vehicle driving: I want to know who is behind me, what their driving attitude/behaviour, and so forth.

This said (call me paranoid), I tend to notice what is happening around me. Now the juice...

First attempt (highway Maastrict -> Venlo): Speed -> speed limit.
I notice a vehicle behind me. I notice that another vehicle pulls right up next to it (in the left lane), pauses next to it, then comes next to my vehicle. The driver pauses next to me, looks at me, and attempts to tell me something (vehicle - VW Polo). I ignore, so the driver pulls up in front of me and puts on his emergency lights, and then begins to slow down. To keep a safe distance, I slow down too. The vehicle behind closes in with the deceleration, but does not overpass - he/she stays close to me. So I dump it into M/S and pass the driver in front of me. I gas it good and distance myself from both at approx 70m. In about a minute's time, we have the same scenario all over again, only this time, the rear driver also puts on the emergency lights (interesting). At that point, I see a highway exit - so shoot out of the exit. Lo and behold, they follow me. So, I go off the highway, and get right back into it, this time accelerating to a speed at which they simply just cannot follow me (won't say how much ). They disappear in the distance - my heart throbs.

Second attempt (highway Liege -> Brussels): Speed -> speed limit (maybe a bit over).
Same exact scenario as the first, only with one car. Vehicle was, I think, some Seat-like thing. Instead of exiting the highway, I just accelerate to a point where the driver of the other car simply cannot follow me. I maintain this speed until I lose them in the distance.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to which something similar has happened here on the forum.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

first part (paranoid) sounds like the way I usually drive.

second part (the action and what you did) sounds like what I would have done in such situation.

so, I'm with you on this one. has not happened to me so far, but I tend not to tolerate too much other drivers getting close to me (except a cool granny in her corsa B of course ), so it may have prevented something of that sort.

in any case - glad you managed to get rid of them!

Quick Reply: Something for the E61 drivers' egos