E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

So who would consider the new Allroad as a replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

This is for those of us in North America, who don't get the F generation 5 wagon... :-(

I'm still years away from trading this baby in hopefully, but I like to think ahead! :-) Other than the new E wagon, there are no mid sized Euro wagons... I can't recall how much longer the A4 Avant (which in its current form is too small vs. the 5 wagon) will be coming here, which I suppose is the only other option.

Is the new Allroad the same as the current gen. A4 Avant though, just jacked up? Or a new generation?

With some colours, you can get the plastic bits painted even to match the body colour! Notwithstanding the extra few inches of ground clearance, and how that might affect handling, at least you can get it with Drive Select and set your suspension settings to Sport. Space in the trunk would be smaller, but maybe that's not a big deal, and I'll throw up a roof box instead for the big trips.

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_7474.shtml

http://models.audiusa.com/allroad
Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xit M-tech M5 reps 245/40/19, 275/35/19 H&R springs, reprogrammed rear air suspension matte black exhaust tips matte black kidney

Id rock it. Rather have this though.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xit M-tech M5 reps 245/40/19, 275/35/19 H&R springs, reprogrammed rear air suspension matte black exhaust tips matte black kidney

Id rock it. Rather have this though.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

Yes, RS4 Avants are awesome, but alas, not seen on these shores...Not even the S4 Avant anymore...

And I'm sure someone will soon enough drop the suspension on them to reduce the wheel gap! They're pretty quick cars, considering the small engine they have. They did a good job reducing weight on the car, and getting almost 260 ft lbs of torque out of the engine, so I think it manages to do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Not a rocket, but it's pretty good, and being a turbo engine, you know it's got great mod potential!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Members

The A4 Allroad is the same size as the standard A4 Avant. Prior to getting my E61 I considered an A4 Avant S-Line, it is beautiful but it was too small for a family of 4 (I am over 6 foot tall and my daughter would have been crushed in the rear). I also did not like the fact that it does not come with a ski bag. The ride on the 19" wheels and low profile rubber was terrible on Montreal roads and found the E61 to be much better.

I myself am thinking of the next wagon.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by vanos
The A4 Allroad is the same size as the standard A4 Avant. Prior to getting my E61 I considered an A4 Avant S-Line, it is beautiful but it was too small for a family of 4 (I am over 6 foot tall and my daughter would have been crushed in the rear). I also did not like the fact that it does not come with a ski bag. The ride on the 19" wheels and low profile rubber was terrible on Montreal roads and found the E61 to be much better.

I myself am thinking of the next wagon.
Which build version are you referring to above? The obviously smaller B7 (A4/S4/RS4 ending with 2008) or the current style B8 which is noticeably longer and a little wider than B7? The B8 grew about 6" for 2nd row passenger lengthwise space and the cargo area retained it's size too.

However, I do think it lost the full size spare... and the wagon isn't available with a mt6 transmission

The B8 Allroad will be "better" to me than the A4 standard avant, however, it will still lack being what I would buy which would be an A6 sized version. The new Allroads for North America will not have an adjustable height air suspension like the 2001-2005 A6 based Allroad has. While this means less items to worry about long term, it also begins to remove the reason to get an Allroad in the first place. The adjustable height allows for nearly a 12" clearance when slightly larger tires are used but also drops to a normal sporting height for the highway - the best of both worlds.

So, yes, the new Audis will be slick and new, but are loosing simple practical aspects along the way. I.E., no full size spare, no manual, no real height increase worth mentioning, yet the price is multiplying without restraint.

If I'm going to drive an automatic wagon, it might as well be the larger Mercedes E350. However, I haven't compared measurements between the E350 vs the most recent A6 Avant. The Benz looks bigger though by at least a few inches.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

True, a used A6 Avant would be the other option... Super rare to find though.

I looked at the current gen A4 Avant before getting this car, but the cargo area was REALLY small mainly because the slope of the roofline was quite steep. I didn't even bother looking at the passenger area.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
Which build version are you referring to above? The obviously smaller B7 (A4/S4/RS4 ending with 2008) or the current style B8 which is noticeably longer and a little wider than B7? The B8 grew about 6" for 2nd row passenger lengthwise space and the cargo area retained it's size too.

However, I do think it lost the full size spare... and the wagon isn't available with a mt6 transmission

The B8 Allroad will be "better" to me than the A4 standard avant, however, it will still lack being what I would buy which would be an A6 sized version. The new Allroads for North America will not have an adjustable height air suspension like the 2001-2005 A6 based Allroad has. While this means less items to worry about long term, it also begins to remove the reason to get an Allroad in the first place. The adjustable height allows for nearly a 12" clearance when slightly larger tires are used but also drops to a normal sporting height for the highway - the best of both worlds.

So, yes, the new Audis will be slick and new, but are loosing simple practical aspects along the way. I.E., no full size spare, no manual, no real height increase worth mentioning, yet the price is multiplying without restraint.

If I'm going to drive an automatic wagon, it might as well be the larger Mercedes E350. However, I haven't compared measurements between the E350 vs the most recent A6 Avant. The Benz looks bigger though by at least a few inches.
The A4 B8. I owned an A4 B7 Avant, when the second child arrived I moved to an Audi C5 allroad. I looked at the Audi C6 Avant but it wasn't sporty enough and I felt like an old man in the car. I then found the BMW E61 and love it. I am also looking forward and the F11 would be my first choice but it is not available in N.A. I would consider the Audi C7 Avant, but it will most likely never come here. So, it is either a benz or wait for the BMW F31 which seems promising and will be available in N.A.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xiT

Originally Posted by jwestpro

We had a 2001 allroad that we replaced with our 2010 e61. I think the height adjustable suspension was the best feature I liked on the allroad. Too bad the new allroads will not have that same feature.

We also looked at the current A4 avant, as well as the e91, but felt both were too small for what we needed.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Members

I am on the hunt for an AMG wagon

Quick Reply: So who would consider the new Allroad as a replacement?